Nostalgic for sales of yesteryear

I was just composing a reply to a new contributor asking about the lack of sales in his first months of being a contributor here. That prompted me to look back at my own record and I realised I had just celebrated my 10th anniverary at Alamy. 

Looking back at my first sales, it took just three months to get my first sale, but it was not until I'd been here nearly two years that I reached the dizzying heights of ten sales. What startled me most though is that those first ten sales achieved a gross value of $695 - heady amounts. Compare that to my last ten sales which took three months to achieve but only realised a gross amount of $185.

Things have changed mightly in the last ten years, and I know others here have even longer histories. 

I see no purpose to this thread other than a nostalgic look back to better days and a bemoaning of our present lot, but having noticed I'd nearly missed my 10th anniversary, I didn't want it to pass entirely un-marked, espcially as I've just reached the offical UK retirement age (though I've no plans to permanently hang up my camera).

• Love 6
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Joseph Clemson said:

I was just composing a reply to a new contributor asking about the lack of sales in his first months of being a contributor here. That prompted me to look back at my own record and I realised I had just celebrated my 10th anniverary at Alamy. 

Looking back at my first sales, it took just three months to get my first sale, but it was not until I'd been here nearly two years that I reached the dizzying heights of ten sales. What startled me most though is that those first ten sales achieved a gross value of $695 - heady amounts. Compare that to my last ten sales which took three months to achieve but only realised a gross amount of $185.

Things have changed mightly in the last ten years, and I know others here have even longer histories. 

I see no purpose to this thread other than a nostalgic look back to better days and a bemoaning of our present lot, but having noticed I'd nearly missed my 10th anniversary, I didn't want it to pass entirely un-marked, espcially as I've just reached the offical UK retirement age (though I've no plans to permanently hang up my camera).

May I be the first to wish you a long, happy and prosperous retirement.

Allan

• Love 2
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

He said he'd reached retirement age. He didn't say he'd retired.

That's the trouble with being self-employed. I can't make my mind up whether I'm retired or not..... 

Edited by Joseph Clemson
Correction to apostrophe
  • Love 2

12 minutes ago, Joseph Clemson said:

That's the trouble with being self-employed. I can't make my mind up whether I'm retired or not..... 

Photographers never retire...They just drift out of focus 😁

Phil

• Love 2

2 hours ago, Joseph Clemson said:

You made me look at my first and last sales. Very similar gross figures: $706 for the first ten (2013/14) & $253 gross for the last ten (Feb/Mar 2021).

Anyhoo...enjoy however you choose to pass the forthcoming years! 😊

• Love 1

An interesting and slightly depressing thread. My figures are as follows, (all gross):-

First 10 sales in 2007/8 total  $1957.78.  Average $195.77.

Last 10 sales 2021  total  $157.88.  Average $15.78.

My all-time average prices (total income divided by total sales) were, in November 2018  $51.75.  My all-time average prices today  $40.00.

"It's being so cheerful as keeps me going". If you know where that quote comes from you must be as old as me.

• Love 2
  • Like 1

First 10 sales 2013/14  $900 even.  Last 10 sales:  $322.

It is depressing, isn't it?  I really notice the lack of text book sales.  I had quite a few of those in the early days, but they are long gone.

Jill

• Love 2

42 minutes ago, Stan Pritchard said:

An interesting and slightly depressing thread. My figures are as follows, (all gross):-

First 10 sales in 2007/8 total  $1957.78.  Average $195.77.

Last 10 sales 2021  total  $157.88.  Average $15.78.

My all-time average prices (total income divided by total sales) were, in November 2018  $51.75.  My all-time average prices today  $40.00.

"It's being so cheerful as keeps me going". If you know where that quote comes from you must be as old as me.

The real kick in the nuts is that not only are royalties decreasing, so is the purchasing power of the currency, so it's a double whammy. I have only been here two years, but even in that time I have seen my average royalties go from mid to high $$ to low $$ verging on $. I'm hoping it's not a trend, but all markers suggest it is. On the other hand I like seeing regular sales coming in.

• Love 1

If I think too hard about the good old days, I'm afraid I will have to shed a tear or two.... lots of money for relatively little work i.e Early/mid 1990s.... net stock sales paid via cheque...remember those...

13 minutes ago, GeoffK said:

If I think too hard about the good old days, I'm afraid I will have to shed a tear or two.... lots of money for relatively little work i.e Early/mid 1990s.... net stock sales paid via cheque...remember those...

Cheques!  I think I have a few in a drawer somewhere.

Allan

I still pay a few things by cheque; it's that old thing: Use it or Lose it. Hey, I still pay BT by cheque. They don't even make me pay extra anymore. I'm sure they hate it but there are some folks out there who really can't pay on-line or contactless. In the UK, the Post Office is helping out a lot.

I've had an increased number of good sales over the last 4 months or so.

This was the best fee:

Usage: Advertising and promotion
Media: Television (advertising)
Industry sector: Media, design & publishing
Placement: National
Start: 05 March 2021
End: 05 March 2022
Television, VOD and online (advertising)

Yes the average fee is lower than it was but the volume is much greater than it was when I started. Alamy seems to be doing something right in attracting $$$ clients since PA took over.  

Perhaps we need to thank Alan Capel for getting this new business.

Since December 2020:

$285.00

$273.12

$300.00

$156.36

$125.00

$119.00

$107.75

$125.00

$ 981.58

$572.24

and then some at 

$00.25

$ 981.58
Edited by geogphotos
  • Love 3
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Joseph Clemson said:

That's right. The concept of "retirement" has never made sense to me since I've never really had anything to retire from. I'll just go on doing what I do until Mother Nature decides it's time to retire me.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

First 10 sales 2013/14  $900 even.  Last 10 sales:  $322.

It is depressing, isn't it?  I really notice the lack of text book sales.  I had quite a few of those in the early days, but they are long gone.

Jill

I too get nostalgic over those very nice textbook sales. They were my mainstay back in the day.

The landscape has changed so much over the past decade that I hardly recognize it now. However, I try to take the long view. It makes me feel better. I started uploading in mid 2007 and made 30 sales in 2008 with only several hundred images on sale. I'm now just shy of $90K gross, which is more than I had expected to make at what has been for me an enjoyable part-time pursuit.

• Love 1

13 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I too get nostalgic over those very nice textbook sales. They were my mainstay back in the day.

The landscape has changed so much over the past decade that I hardly recognize it now. However, I try to take the long view. It makes me feel better. I started uploading in mid 2007 and made 30 sales in 2008 with only several hundred images on sale. I'm now just shy of $90K gross, which is more than I had expected to make at what has been for me an enjoyable part-time pursuit.

For me too it is a part time pursuit.  I didn't get in on the really great years, but as long as I have made enough to pay for my gear, that is something.  And I have just spent an additional $3000 over the past month, so better get some sales this year. 😁

First 10:  $1,274.38  (2004-2006)

Last 10:  $505.37

But the last 10 include two sales larger than any since June 2019. So either the last 10 result is skewed, or things are looking up.

Edited by Bill Kuta
  • Love 1

What an entertaining depressing exercise 😄

First 10 $557 (2015-2016)

Last 10 $375 (positively skewed because I have a $$$ sale in my last 10 for the first time in a year)

But as Ian says, maybe we're selling more now? Difficult to say with my small collection.

Edited by Steve F
  • Love 1

Looked at my record.

First 10  $388.89  (18 Feb 2011 - 31 May 2013) = 27 months.

Last 10  $283.28  (02 Sept 2020 - 29 March 2021) = 7 months.

Took far longer to achieve 10 licences in the early days as it has done these last few months.

Allan

• Love 1