December 2020 Challenge: Repetition

Bella

Wim, thanks so much for a fun challenge! Thanks to everyone that voted and then had to vote again!

I'm winging this as I haven't entered a challenge before and will follow Wim's format. Apologies in advance if I mess up.

For the new challenge I have chosen 

- Repetition

An Alamy search gives 248,900 images

Very simple rule - there just has to be some kind of obvious repetition in your images.

The rest of the rules are as usual:

3 images per person max; they must be on Alamy; this challenge closes on Thursday December 31 at midnight GMT.

The poll will be up at some point the next day... New Year's Day! Hope I'm not too hung over to figure out how to post the voting thread ;)

Hope to see some fun and interesting images!

• Love 2

Bella, Thank you for a great new challenge.

Indeed going through your photos, thinking I don't have that at all, then finding all sorts of images. Great fun!

https://c7.alamy.com/comp/R0GHE6/japanese-taxis-in-front-of-fukuoka-hakata-station-waiting-for-passengers-R0GHE6.jpg

Japanese taxis. Fukuoka.

https://c7.alamy.com/comp/A7D82T/rows-of-headstones-in-arlington-national-cemetery-in-the-snow-at-night-A7D82T.jpg

Headstones at Arlington in the snow with moonlight.

https://c7.alamy.com/comp/E68W3M/baltimore-george-peabody-library-one-of-the-most-beautiful-famous-E68W3M.jpg

Heaven (is a good library). Baltimore.

wim

• Love 6
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Sybille Reuter said:

Awesome topic!! The first submissions are pieces of art already... Hung over you is going to curse now you 😄

EEEKKKK!!! You're so right! Amazing images appearing already... picking finalists is going to be SO HARD!! 😵

6 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Bella, Thank you for a great new challenge.

Indeed going through your photos, thinking I don't have that at all, then finding all sorts of images. Great fun!

https://c7.alamy.com/comp/R0GHE6/japanese-taxis-in-front-of-fukuoka-hakata-station-waiting-for-passengers-R0GHE6.jpg

Japanese taxis. Fukuoka.

https://c7.alamy.com/comp/A7D82T/rows-of-headstones-in-arlington-national-cemetery-in-the-snow-at-night-A7D82T.jpg

Headstones at Arlington in the snow with moonlight.

https://c7.alamy.com/comp/E68W3M/baltimore-george-peabody-library-one-of-the-most-beautiful-famous-E68W3M.jpg

Heaven (is a good library). Baltimore.

wim

I searched my own images and didn't have one with that tag but many that would qualify. I've now added the tag to a few... just in case. It seems there were only two searches for repetition for the whole year so probably not a useful tag.

44 minutes ago, Bella said:

I searched my own images and didn't have one with that tag but many that would qualify. I've now added the tag to a few... just in case. It seems there were only two searches for repetition for the whole year so probably not a useful tag.

Same with mine here. Try %pattern% or maybe %multiple%.

Like you probably I have looked through pages of my own work and notice that they do stand out. So that's where their value lies.

Vintage shoes shop display in a charity shop thrift consignment store - Stock ImageMonstera Deliciosa or Swiss Cheese Plant in the Malaga Botanical Garden. - Stock ImageA row of identical Cats dressed as Santa in a shop window. - Stock ImageSydney Opera House on Bennelong Point Sydney NSW Australia - Stock ImageTulips with wind turbines in The Netherlands. Tulip fields with mixed red and white tulips with three windmills. - Stock Image

New Zealand Milford Sound with Mitre Peak in Fiordland National Park New Zealand - Stock Imagerows of Jizo statues Narita san Shinsho ji Temple - Stock ImageBrussels Atomium, Bruxelles Atomium, Brussel The Atomium building. Famous futuristic modern architecture landmark from the fifties. - Stock ImageModern prefab student housing in the Amsterdam harbour, harbor, docklands, using modular cargo shipping containers. - Stock ImageThe tall ship Esmeralda from Chile, Amsterdam Sail 2015 - Stock Image

The Zeeland Bridge (Dutch: Zeelandbrug) is the longest bridge in the Netherlands. It spans the Oosterschelde estuary. - Stock ImageNarrow canal in Utrecht The Netherlands. Kromme Nieuwegracht with private bridges. - Stock ImageEndless rows of red tulips, tulip fields with flower beds and furrows. Holland. Netherlands. - Stock ImageRows of headstones with small flags on Memorial Day at Arlington National Cemetery. - Stock ImageRadio telescope satellite dishes dish of astronomy observatory Very Large Array VLA near Socorro New Mexico US USA America - Stock Image

French 1918 Armistice celebrations of homecoming troops re-uniting with their loved ones. Sculpture on the Toulouse War Monument, by Camille Raynaud - Stock ImageDutch tulip fields in full bloom next to The Keukenhof Garden in Lisse, Holland, The Netherlands. - Stock ImageHundertwasser Toilets of Kawakawa, New Zealand. Building detail. Colorful colourful window made with recycled glass - Stock ImageCordoba Spain Great Mosque, Mezquita de Cordoba interior. - Stock ImageAmsterdam Canals. Four bridges with many cyclists on the Prinsengracht canal with canal tour boats and small pleasure - Stock Imagepink metal heat sink computer hardware - Stock ImageAmsterdam a display of delftware miniature Dutch canal houses in an antique shop. KLM souvenirs that originally - Stock Image

Now would that work when all have patterns or repetitions? Mwah not so much. Some better than others.

Still always a good exercise to bring form into your images as a design factor.

wim

• Love 4

2 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Same with mine here. Try %pattern% or maybe %multiple%.

Like you probably I have looked through pages of my own work and notice that they do stand out. So that's where their value lies.

Vintage shoes shop display in a charity shop thrift consignment store - Stock ImageMonstera Deliciosa or Swiss Cheese Plant in the Malaga Botanical Garden. - Stock ImageA row of identical Cats dressed as Santa in a shop window. - Stock ImageSydney Opera House on Bennelong Point Sydney NSW Australia - Stock ImageTulips with wind turbines in The Netherlands. Tulip fields with mixed red and white tulips with three windmills. - Stock Image

New Zealand Milford Sound with Mitre Peak in Fiordland National Park New Zealand - Stock Imagerows of Jizo statues Narita san Shinsho ji Temple - Stock ImageBrussels Atomium, Bruxelles Atomium, Brussel The Atomium building. Famous futuristic modern architecture landmark from the fifties. - Stock ImageModern prefab student housing in the Amsterdam harbour, harbor, docklands, using modular cargo shipping containers. - Stock ImageThe tall ship Esmeralda from Chile, Amsterdam Sail 2015 - Stock Image

The Zeeland Bridge (Dutch: Zeelandbrug) is the longest bridge in the Netherlands. It spans the Oosterschelde estuary. - Stock ImageNarrow canal in Utrecht The Netherlands. Kromme Nieuwegracht with private bridges. - Stock ImageEndless rows of red tulips, tulip fields with flower beds and furrows. Holland. Netherlands. - Stock ImageRows of headstones with small flags on Memorial Day at Arlington National Cemetery. - Stock ImageRadio telescope satellite dishes dish of astronomy observatory Very Large Array VLA near Socorro New Mexico US USA America - Stock Image

French 1918 Armistice celebrations of homecoming troops re-uniting with their loved ones. Sculpture on the Toulouse War Monument, by Camille Raynaud - Stock ImageDutch tulip fields in full bloom next to The Keukenhof Garden in Lisse, Holland, The Netherlands. - Stock ImageHundertwasser Toilets of Kawakawa, New Zealand. Building detail. Colorful colourful window made with recycled glass - Stock ImageCordoba Spain Great Mosque, Mezquita de Cordoba interior. - Stock ImageAmsterdam Canals. Four bridges with many cyclists on the Prinsengracht canal with canal tour boats and small pleasure - Stock Imagepink metal heat sink computer hardware - Stock ImageAmsterdam a display of delftware miniature Dutch canal houses in an antique shop. KLM souvenirs that originally - Stock Image

Now would that work when all have patterns or repetitions? Mwah not so much. Some better than others.

Still always a good exercise to bring form into your images as a design factor.

wim

I didn’t have the tags, either. After searching my port, by the time I was done the day had passed, I had lost half my weight, was haggard, hungry and thirsty. And half-blind. 😉

3 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I didn’t have the tags, either. After searching my port, by the time I was done the day had passed, I had lost half my weight, was haggard, hungry and thirsty. And half-blind. 😉

People with big ports should not complain too much. 😂

wim

7 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

People with big ports should not complain too much. 😂

wim

On my journey, I did have an epiphany.  An image In my port made me think of a good topic for a future contest.

When I win 50 years from now. From my wheelchair. When I’ve outlived all of you. When all I have to do to take pictures is to blink my eyes that have camera implants. Because no other body parts will work by then.

Edited by Betty LaRue

I notice my images above are looking a little squished.  Maybe changes to the forum website has altered how images show up and the way I usually post them (drag them over) isn't the best.  What is the current recommended way to post them?  Thanks.

Maria

Great topic ! So many visually appealing images in the thread now.

There must be a science to this and so retail stores arrange regular repetition in product lines.

#1 London Santander bikes parked in docking station

santander-bike-dock-in-london-K2M43R.jpg

#2 Breitling Jet Team formation flying

breitling-jet-team-formation-flying-aerobatic-with-smoke-trails-in-air-WAH6M5.jpg

#3 Tulips

full-frame-filled-with-tulips-in-various-colors-at-keukenhof-flower-garden-netherlands-MGXWN3.jpg

Edited by Gnans
Edited to get bigger version of pics
  • Love 3

9 hours ago, MariaJ said:

I notice my images above are looking a little squished.  Maybe changes to the forum website has altered how images show up and the way I usually post them (drag them over) isn't the best.  What is the current recommended way to post them?  Thanks.

Maria

All methods work. Dragging and dropping can be done from a variety of places.

There is a preview function in the box where you put your post in, or your edit. It's the small magnifying glass button between the Size and GIF buttons. Set it to phone tab to check for the most extreme squishing.

How to cure squishing: go to edit your post > double click on your image > tick the box Keep original aspect ratio > click Update.

When the image falls outside of the allowed size, the offending box will now turn red and tell you what to do. However it's not always the box that works! Tech is clearly working on this.

So for the moment just try the other box and tick/untick the original aspect ratio box until the size goes down. And the original aspect ratio box remains ticked. Still check the preview after hitting Update.

Allowed sizes for the moment: The height must be less than 750px

So 749 or 748px should be fine.

Width is probably less than 1000px at the moment. However the red boxes don't appear when the width is too large. It just will refuse to go over 1000. So both boxes are behaving differently at the moment for some reason.

wim

• Love 1