I usually see only one or two PU sales per month, often none at all. However, out of 11 sales so far in July, five are PU licenses (plus one presentation), ranging from $6.99 to $19.99. Is anyone else seeing a similar PU/presentation surge?

If this is a trend, could it have something to do with the pandemic?

Edited by John Mitchell

10 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

The usual smattering, presentation as well, but at least folks are buying stuff. It's the imaging equivalent of an online case of claret. Only cheaper.

People aren't travelling, so perhaps they want images of places they've visited or hope to visit. Also, being stuck at home, people might want to decorate the bare walls or send greeting cards to old friends, etc.? All dubious theories, I know... 🤓

Edited by John Mitchell

15 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

The usual smattering, presentation as well, but at least folks are buying stuff. It's the imaging equivalent of an online case of claret. Only cheaper.

An online case of claret - sounds like a disease. Is this like seeing the world through rosé tinted glasses?

18 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I usually see only one or two PU sales per month, often none at all. However, out of 11 sales so far in July, five are PU licenses (plus one presentation), ranging from $6.99 to $19.99. Is anyone else seeing a similar PU/presentation surge?

If this is a trend, could it have something to do with the pandemic?

I don’t do PU although I probably should. I had three presentation sales last week which for me is a surge. Average prices now for me are dire. 

Edited by MDM

1 hour ago, Pearl said:

4 PU out of 22 sales so far this month.  Probably not a surge exactly but one of those is suspicious.

Pearl

I'm always suspicious of these types of sales, especially if the images have licensed for other uses in the past.

• Love 1

No PU surge here.  I haven't had one all month.  What I am seeing is a number of Website, app and social media plant portraits uses which, from what I can tell, are being used by on line plant nurseries and sales outlets.  15 out of 27 sales so far this month come in this category.  They pay better than PU 😀

What I am also seeing is a big uptick in zooms.  My highest ever month was 104, with an average this year of 77 a month.  This month is already up to 138 with a week still to go.  No real increase in views, just zooms.  

• Love 1

2 out of 18 this month so far:

https://c7.alamy.com/thumbs/4/F8CB8E1B-1F15-4A1D-9917-9CFD6A890F1D/E665TT.jpg

University Library Baltimore

(Some German language in the licensing details)

https://c7.alamy.com/thumbs/4/3030020B-992F-41DB-85AD-A67E236134E5/PDMKRJ.jpg

Finnish Stock Exchange

wim

edit: no presentation, but one of last month's presentation came back this month as a $$$.

Edited by wiskerke
  • Like 1

Honestly, I don't see the point about complaining for such kind of sales. If you don't like them because you are justifiably suspicious, you can simply ask Alamy for getting PU sales removed from your future sales. I did it three years ago. I wish Alamy could do the same also for other suspicious sales as presentation/newsletter use.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, stipe said:

Honestly, I don't see the point about complaining for such kind of sales. If you don't like them because you are justifiably suspicious, you can simply ask Alamy for getting PU sales removed from your future sales. I did it three years ago. I wish Alamy could do the same also for other suspicious sales as presentation/newsletter use.

I wasn't complaining. Just curious to see if anyone else had noticed an increase. My lowest sales so far this month are editorial and commercial, not PU/presentation.

Edited by John Mitchell

I had four U.K. editorial uses drop in this morning, all for less than $10....would rather have had a P.U. surge instead, they pay more than twice as much, in most cases. In fact, all four didn't add up to one standard PU.

Edited by Michael Ventura

6 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

I had four U.K. editorial uses drop in this morning, all for less than $10....would rather have had a P.U. surge instead, they pay more than twice as much, in most cases. In fact, all four didn't add up to one standard PU.

This must be low-value month. I've had some real piddlers (<$5). What appears to be another PU or presentation sale was invoiced today. At 19.99, it will be one of my higher sales this month. Almost five days left in July, so there's still a smidgen of hope...

Edited by John Mitchell

1 hour ago, Colblimp said:

I opted out of PU around 3-4 years ago.  I was sick of the crap prices. 

But on another thread you said that you are happy to accept $2 sales as  you are self-employed and it all helps?

PU sales make up a significant and growing part of my monthly revenue.

It really is a market segment that has the potential for major expansion - and the fees are higher than for many 'commercial uses' 

Edited by geogphotos

26 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

But on another thread you said that you are happy to accept $2 sales as  you are self-employed and it all helps?

PU sales make up a significant and growing part of my monthly revenue.

It really is a market segment that has the potential for major expansion - and the fees are higher than for many 'commercial uses' 

I haven't had a $2 sale since I opted out of PU.  I've had a load of $2.40 (net) sales, but they're my lowest now I'm pretty much completely news. 

Every penny does help, but a $2 gross sale is taking the piss - you knew exactly what I was driving at so don't act the arse, please...

On 30/07/2020 at 07:14, Colblimp said:

I opted out of PU around 3-4 years ago.  I was sick of the crap prices. 

I also opted out of the PU category a few years ago for most of my images. However, I noticed that there has now been a surge in PN (Presentation or Newsletter) sales which is priced the same as PU in the UK.

Are these 'Personal Use' Presentation or Newsletters maybe? 🙂

5 PN, 2 PU out of 31 sales this year.

Edited by MB Photography

28 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

I haven't had a $2 sale since I opted out of PU.  I've had a load of $2.40 (net) sales, but they're my lowest now I'm pretty much completely news. 

Every penny does help, but a $2 gross sale is taking the piss - you knew exactly what I was driving at so don't act the arse, please...

And if I respond to that in the same manner I'll be accused of starting an argument. 

If $2.40 sales matter to you then it is odd that $10 and $19 from PU do not. 

That's all I have to say on it. 

Edited by geogphotos