Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

Went to the Vivian Maier exhibition at the MK Gallery in Milton Keynes. The last week, closes on Sunday. Very good if you admire her work and I do. B&W images are all from her Rolleiflex, 12" x 12" gelatin prints, beautiful quality. Also 35mm colour prints, she left a very large number of 35mm Ektachrome slides as well.

What I didn't like - pretty low light levels apparently forced on them by the owners of the exhibited works. In fact the first room wasn't lit at all, one person was even using their phone torch! I asked about it and after a while someone came and opened up the skylight a bit, much better. It seems there had been an electrical problem that caused them to remove the lighting tracks entirely in that room.

The owners had also decreed that the captions were all about 1 metre off the ground so you had to bend down to read them each time, and so casting a shadow from the dim spotlights which made them even more difficult to read. Really they should have provided handouts with the captions on. Still mustn't be churlish I suppose, great to see such an important exhibition reasonably locally.

• Love 1

24 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

Went to the Vivian Maier exhibition at the MK Gallery in Milton Keynes. The last week, closes on Sunday. Very good if you admire her work and I do. B&W images are all from her Rolleiflex, 12" x 12" gelatin prints, beautiful quality. Also 35mm colour prints, she left a very large number of 35mm Ektachrome slides as well.

What I didn't like - pretty low light levels apparently forced on them by the owners of the exhibited works. In fact the first room wasn't lit at all, one person was even using their phone torch! I asked about it and after a while someone came and opened up the skylight a bit, much better. It seems there had been an electrical problem that caused them to remove the lighting tracks entirely in that room.

The owners had also decreed that the captions were all about 1 metre off the ground so you had to bend down to read them each time, and so casting a shadow from the dim spotlights which made them even more difficult to read. Really they should have provided handouts with the captions on. Still mustn't be churlish I suppose, great to see such an important exhibition reasonably locally.

I saw a exhibition of her photos while in Chicago a few years back and really really loved what I saw.  Her story is amazing and sad.  I have to say, I remember the rooms to be well lit and easy to read labels.  That's a shame that the gallery you saw her work in was so dim.

15 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

I believe that it might be the very same exhibition Michael, all the prints date from 2014. Quite a privilege to see it. 

There's no earthly reason for non-vintage prints not to be shown at the proper brightness. Someone is being a bit of a prima donna methinks.

28 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Someone is being a bit of a prima donna methinks.

Mixed messaging from those that I asked. The first unlit room must be put at the door of the MK Gallery. The 'staff' are mainly volunteers so I wasn't going to give any of them a hard time but I was initially told that there was no lighting in that room to preserve the prints which was nonsense because all the other rooms were lit. It was really dark in there but magically when the official tour was about to start someone appeared and opened the skylight so at least torches were not required! As you say these are silver gelatin prints produced in 2014 by 'diChroma Photography' so I don't think there was any reason to be that precious with them, there are no windows so there was never any question of direct sunlight. Still the official line seemed to be that this was a stipulation of the owners of the exhibits, similarly the low captions. Glad I went though.

Had my Autumn Covid booster yesterday, the good thing. But the organisation at a local sports stadium wasn't so good, but the nurses and volunteers were dealing with a lot of people. There was an outside queue of around 200 yards. Near the front of the queue volunteers would call out vaccination times, problem being anyone at the rear of the queue could not hear them. I soon moved to an area outside the queue closer to the front to remedy that. They were running around 30 minutes late. After queueing inside at the registration desks I was given a coloured sticker which indicated what vaccine I would be given, then was told to join a specific queue. After around 10 minutes I was told  by a nurse to move to another queue for my vaccine type as I was in the wrong queue. Then 5-10 minutes later another nurse said I was yet again in the wrong queue, and was directed to the other side of the building. From there all went well. I cynically wondered wether we were initially deliberately allocated to the whatever was the shortest queue just to get us all into the building. Summing up, it was a little chaotic but well worth having the booster vaccine.

2 hours ago, sb photos said:

Had my Autumn Covid booster yesterday, the good thing. But the organisation at a local sports stadium wasn't so good, but the nurses and volunteers were dealing with a lot of people. There was an outside queue of around 200 yards. Near the front of the queue volunteers would call out vaccination times, problem being anyone at the rear of the queue could not hear them. I soon moved to an area outside the queue closer to the front to remedy that. They were running around 30 minutes late. After queueing inside at the registration desks I was given a coloured sticker which indicated what vaccine I would be given, then was told to join a specific queue. After around 10 minutes I was told  by a nurse to move to another queue for my vaccine type as I was in the wrong queue. Then 5-10 minutes later another nurse said I was yet again in the wrong queue, and was directed to the other side of the building. From there all went well. I cynically wondered wether we were initially deliberately allocated to the whatever was the shortest queue just to get us all into the building. Summing up, it was a little chaotic but well worth having the booster vaccine.

Had my autumn Covid booster yesterday at a local pharmacy but fortunately they were well organised with no queuing.

Moving it to this thread now.

So went through my first major Hurricane.  Thankfully my area didn't get the worse of it, high enough to avoid to swells and flooding.  Lots of broken trees a few house damages around, but nothing as bad as what we now see from PEI, Eastern NS and Newfoundland.  got power back after 48 hours, still over a third of province without any power still,   

We just had a new massive thunderstorm cell pass by, so people who had power back lost it again- but we seem to be holding on...  

still a bit of anxiety, but getting back to a bit of mental calmness.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 3

On 18/09/2022 at 14:39, Allan Bell said:

Went to an antique flea market this morning and found a twin lens film camera I had been looking for for ages to put in my display cabinet in the office.

It is a Rolleicord Va model 2 in full working order and good condition and from the serial number probably manufactured around 1960. The stall holder had it priced at £85 but let me have it for £75.

I new it was worth a bit more than the price I payed and when I got home I checked on line to see them selling for anything from about £250 up to £500.

No I am not selling it (yet) as it is going to have a roll of film through it to check it out then it will go in my display cabinet.

Allan

Many years ago I bought a used Rolleicord for £25 to use as a camera. Prior to the purchase I had been using a 35 mm SLR, and I was blown away by the superior quality obtainable from the larger negatives. At the time, as an impoverished student, I struggled to buy even B&W film to feed it, but I did take a number of photos of the disappearing industrial landscape. Many moons later they were scanned and uploaded here, some of which have sold. Like yours, my Rollei is now on display.  Not sure if this is a good or bad thing !

Actually, if we were all still using manual film cameras with no built in exposure metering, the prices paid for our efforts might make the effort of shooting financially viable.

Edited by Bryan
  • Love 1

Today we saw one of the elusive otters that were rumoured to be active in the river Wear near where we live.  I'd previously seen their tracks in the mud, but never an actual otter.

Things didn't look promising with very little water in the river - it's tidal here - but low and behold, up pops this little creature.  We gazed at one another but then it took fright, heading off across the river and, presumably, downstream.  I wasn't prepared to photograph wildlife, we were out for a walk, but I did manage to get a couple of shots with a 75 mm equivalent lens.  You can see the otter quite clearly at actual pixels, but, sadly, not big enough in the frame to upload here, but good enough for Facebook etc.

Edited by Bryan
  • Like 2

On 26/09/2022 at 08:52, Dave Richards said:

Had my autumn Covid booster yesterday at a local pharmacy but fortunately they were well organised with no queuing.

Exactly our experience, got jabbed ahead of the appointed time this morning.  Arm slightly sore, but nothing to complain about.  The worst part was finding the place, our satnav delivered us to the approximate location, but the pharmacy was well hidden. 

Had my 6 month checkup with my Cardiologist today. Other than him noting I was 10 pounds lighter than a year ago, my heart is doing fine. The weight is better than 6 months ago, when I was down about 14-15 pounds. Check the favorite uploads thread and you’ll see where the gain came from! 😁

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 3

9 hours ago, Bryan said:

Exactly our experience, got jabbed ahead of the appointed time this morning.  Arm slightly sore, but nothing to complain about.  The worst part was finding the place, our satnav delivered us to the approximate location, but the pharmacy was well hidden. 

My arm was quite painful for a couple of days but now settled down.

Had my flu jab yesterday in the other arm. No discomfort following that and still OK this morning.

1 hour ago, Dave Richards said:

My arm was quite painful for a couple of days but now settled down.

Had my flu jab yesterday in the other arm. No discomfort following that and still OK this morning.

We're working on the flu jab, our local pharmacy has no appointments in the next two weeks and we are away when they could see us. Intending to try our doctor's surgery.

Re the Covid jab, we had Moderna and I still have slight soreness the day after, but nothing to worry about.

On 27/09/2022 at 02:15, Bryan said:

Many years ago I bought a used Rolleicord for £25 to use as a camera. Prior to the purchase I had been using a 35 mm SLR, and I was blown away by the superior quality obtainable from the larger negatives. At the time, as an impoverished student, I struggled to buy even B&W film to feed it, but I did take a number of photos of the disappearing industrial landscape. Many moons later they were scanned and uploaded here, some of which have sold. Like yours, my Rollei is now on display.  Not sure if this is a good or bad thing !

Actually, if we were all still using manual film cameras with no built in exposure metering, the prices paid for our efforts might make the effort of shooting financially viable.

Actually, if we were all still having to use film cameras prices paid for our efforts would be much better as there would be fewer photographers than todays digital user glut.

Now what I mean?

Allan

• Love 1

The Mrs persuaded me to go to the doctors for a blood pressure check - I'd suffered a bit of dizziness while bending over weeding in the allotment.  One is getting old.

Blood pressure fine, but a bonus, I asked if the nurse could give us our flu jabs and she agreed - done on the spot !

I  then had two sore arms, flu jab soreness not as bad as that for Covid, but still a wee bit uncomfortable.  Both recovering nicely however.

• Love 1

I had an MRI of my neck today because I'm getting tingling down one side and into my shoulder. Boy it is an experience. I knew it would be noisy. They give you ear plugs and then add two headsets to protect the ears. There were so many different sounds. Every now and then there would be silence and I'd think it was over but then a different sound would start up. It seemed to take a very long time. They had offered me a 1:30 or 1:45 appointment so I figured at least it wouldn't take more than fifteen minutes. I'm glad I don't have claustrophobia. That would make it really impossible. I had worn a short-sleeved top under a long-sleeved shirt because I was hoping to stop at a pharmacy on my way home to get a flu shot. They were doing walk-ins so that worked out but later I realized I had put on the short sleeved top inside out when I got dressed at the hospital. It only showed briefly while I was getting my shot but it must have been really obvious with the label showing and all. The pharmacist didn't say a word and she did a great job of giving a painless shot.

• Love 1

• Alamy locked this topic