Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

7 hours ago, Bryan said:

I suffer from the absence of marmalade. My wife makes various types of lovely jam using fruit from the allotment, but we can't grow oranges. On the odd occasion when we stay in a b&b or hotel I always go for the marmalade with the breakfast toast. 

I also enjoy eating oranges, a guilty pleasure as I presume that they are air freighted into the UK ?

Edit - Apparently DB runs a refrigerated train from Spain to the UK carrying fruit, but I suspect the bulk of citrus fruit arriving comes by plane ?

I like oranges and have one at breakfast. Just marmalade I do not like. Maybe it is the oranges they use.

Allan

11 hours ago, Dave Richards said:

NO!!!!!!   That cannot be.😳

Please don’t tell me you don’t like apple crumble and custard too.

Love apple crumble and pie with custard or cream or both sometimes.

Allan

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Love apple crumble and pie with custard or cream or both sometimes.

Allan

I too enjoy all that tasty stuff, as much as I try not to overindulge in sweets. It's marmalade, Marmite, and Vegemite I avoid. I have been know to put a little strawberry jam on my muffin. 

Mostly, I eat very healthy food but not always. I don't want to turn cuisine into a scientific exercise. And I have no ambition to be perfect.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I too enjoy all that tasty stuff, as much as I try not to overindulge in sweets. It's marmalade, Marmite, and Vegemite I avoid. I have been know to put a little strawberry jam on my muffin. 

Mostly, I eat very healthy food but not always. I don't want to turn cuisine into a scientific exercise. And I have no ambition to be perfect.

I’ve always said if I became a diabetic, I might as well off myself. That said, I don’t sit around and stuff myself with sweets. I know they aren’t good for me, so I only bake occasionally because I know my weaknesses. That’s proven, because I’m still slender. More so, since a weight loss after surgery when almost all food left my room uneaten. I was so thin I frightened my family. Since then, I’ve gained 5 needed pounds of it back.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

I've just planted out a bed of spring cabbages, around 30 of them. Years ago  my grandfather told me to drown them in, and that's what I do. I dig a small hole, fill it with water and put the plant into that, covering with and firming the soil. Then another dose of water from above. After the first day they look near death, having gone limp, but, after a few days they start to stand up. At this time of year, with the nights starting to cut in, it's nice to be able to start something away that will be ready to eat come April next year. 

Later I will be sowing overwintering broad beans, probably under glass, but they will have to take their chance in the open ground. If the winter is mild, as it was last year, they will do well, but a harsh winter might mean they won't survive.  Overwintering onion sets will be going in early October followed by garlic. I'll probably grow the garlic at the top of ridges as they don't appreciate wet feet. 

Last year I sowed overwintering carrots in the greenhouse, variety Eskimo, and they did well. Home grown carrots taste so much better than shop bought. Meanwhile we're enjoying the last of the tomatoes, another crop that outperforms the tasteless commercial variety. Arguably my favourite lunch, is onion and tomatoes fried in olive oil, served with freshly chopped basil on toasted granary bread.

Edited by Bryan

Earlier today I was looking for small microphone I previously used with my RX100 shooting video. Still can't find the mic, but did find 10 64GB and 2 32GB  SD cards in a bag. Checked their contents, everything useable or edited backed up with the raw and xmp files. Some were full, other had hardly any files on them. The newest last used in early 2019. A useful find. Also just signed for a delivery of a Crane M2 Gimbal bought used but still with warranty. Christmas has come early.

• Love 1

I ordered a Roman shade for my breakfast area double window from Amazon a couple of weeks ago. I suspect the seller was overseas because it took me hours of back and forth texts about questions I had that she wouldn’t answer so I’d feel confident in ordering. I don’t think she understood what I wanted, it’s like there was a language barrier.  It all had to do with the hardware for hanging so I could know where it attached on the shade and whether I could attach it to a stud or not. So what I was asking was critical.

I won’t get into it further, but needless to say, I finally told her “forget it. Cancel the order. I don’t want it.”

All of a sudden she sent me pictures of the hardware and measurements of it that I had been begging for and finally told me it was adjustable. 💥☄️

We finally came to a meeting of the minds. The shade is here, not hung, yet, but it is beautiful.

My son-in-law is good at hanging window treatments, so I’ll patiently wait until he can do it.

• Love 1

About a year ago had a suspicious "lesion" removed from my arm which turned out to be one of the many forms of skin cancer. Test showed the doc had got all of it when cutting it out and it was not likely to spread from that site. A few weeks ago, another one had to be removed not 2 inches (50mm) from the first and looking identical, the tests came back yesterday negative, benign just a cluster of sun damaged skin cells. Now have 2 zips on my arm for the price of 1 happy days.🙂 

• Love 1

26 minutes ago, aphperspective said:

About a year ago had a suspicious "lesion" removed from my arm which turned out to be one of the many forms of skin cancer. Test showed the doc had got all of it when cutting it out and it was not likely to spread from that site. A few weeks ago, another one had to be removed not 2 inches (50mm) from the first and looking identical, the tests came back yesterday negative, benign just a cluster of sun damaged skin cells. Now have 2 zips on my arm for the price of 1 happy days.🙂 

Good to hear you’re in the clear now. Was is feasible to photograph one handed? Just prior to going under for a hip replacement think in 2014 I saw a camera high up looking down it me. It was intended for training purposes. I asked if I could have a video of my op, even offered to pay, but they refused. I thought they might have offered as it was a private hospital, but no such luck.

2 hours ago, sb photos said:

Good to hear you’re in the clear now. Was is feasible to photograph one handed? Just prior to going under for a hip replacement think in 2014 I saw a camera high up looking down it me. It was intended for training purposes. I asked if I could have a video of my op, even offered to pay, but they refused. I thought they might have offered as it was a private hospital, but no such luck.

Thanks all I did take 1 image, just good enough for the doc to see before calling me in but wouldn't get past QC. Really just looked like a mole with a ragged edge that itched. To many years in the sun as a youngster and serving abroad I suppose. I recon it's a plot to keep me in Ireland bit by bit in alcohol jars. 🙄 

5 hours ago, aphperspective said:

Good to hear you have the all clear !

My wife needed a skin graft on her nose due to skin cancer. She had to go back to the hospital for a check up on Monday, when, thankfully, there was no sign of it having spread.

It emphasises the need to take care when out in strong sunshine, always use a suitable cream, or, in the case of those follically challenged - such as myself - wear a hat !!

Edited by Bryan

3 hours ago, Bryan said:

Good to hear you have the all clear !

My wife needed a skin graft on her nose due to skin cancer. She had to go back to the hospital for a check up on Monday, when, thankfully, there was no sign of it having spread.

It emphasises the need to take care when out in strong sunshine, always use a suitable cream, or, in the case of those follically challenged - such as myself - wear a hat !!

Very glad for your good lady Bryan, my consultant said this huge emergence (in Ireland anyway) of these cancers is caused by the 1960,70's "go abroad and cook in the sun fortnight people".

Andy 

14 hours ago, aphperspective said:

Very glad for your good lady Bryan, my consultant said this huge emergence (in Ireland anyway) of these cancers is caused by the 1960,70's "go abroad and cook in the sun fortnight people".

Andy 

I did not think you were that old.

Allan

Spent most of my life in the hotter climates Alan, as a youngster, Cyprus, Malaya, Thailand, Singapore, T shirt shorts and flip flops were the only thing we went to school in. All the kids were the same brown suntanned skin and bleached blond hair from the sun.

Andy  

1 hour ago, aphperspective said:

Spent most of my life in the hotter climates Alan, as a youngster, Cyprus, Malaya, Thailand, Singapore, T shirt shorts and flip flops were the only thing we went to school in. All the kids were the same brown suntanned skin and bleached blond hair from the sun.

Andy  

Oooooh!

Allan

On 16/09/2022 at 13:10, aphperspective said:

Andy 

In the US, I think it was in the 50s when women/teens began donning swimwear and rubbing baby oil tinted with iodine on their skin and lying out in the sun on their lawns or beside a swimming pool in hometowns everywhere. Not just on vacations, but during all of the warm months.

8 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

In the US, I think it was in the 50s when women/teens began donning swimwear and rubbing baby oil tinted with iodine on their skin and lying out in the sun on their lawns or beside a swimming pool in hometowns everywhere. Not just on vacations, but during all of the warm months.

I remember that. Fortunately I didn't get into that myself. I did like to lie in the sun. I have too much Irish in me to tan well but I liked the warmth.

Paulette

• Love 1

Went to an antique flea market this morning and found a twin lens film camera I had been looking for for ages to put in my display cabinet in the office.

It is a Rolleicord Va model 2 in full working order and good condition and from the serial number probably manufactured around 1960. The stall holder had it priced at £85 but let me have it for £75.

I new it was worth a bit more than the price I payed and when I got home I checked on line to see them selling for anything from about £250 up to £500.

No I am not selling it (yet) as it is going to have a roll of film through it to check it out then it will go in my display cabinet.

Allan

• Love 2
  • Like 2

My son-in-law took his dad trout fishing in Missouri this week, so my daughter and I enjoyed a nice lunch together today at Applebee’s. I had baby-back ribs in a sweet, spicy sauce, fries and cole slaw. It was very good. I snarfed down the ribs but left half of the fries.
We are thinking about a trip to Oklahoma City later this week, to partake of our two favorite restaurants. Ted’s Escondido (Mexican food) and Cheesecake Factory. I always have the strawberry. And a stop at Macy’s maybe, to shop.

I can’t understand why Wichita doesn’t have the two restaurants. 😉 There was a Macy’s at one time in Wichita, but it closed.

12 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

My son-in-law took his dad trout fishing in Missouri this week, so my daughter and I enjoyed a nice lunch together today at Applebee’s. I had baby-back ribs in a sweet, spicy sauce, fries and cole slaw. It was very good. I snarfed down the ribs but left half of the fries.
We are thinking about a trip to Oklahoma City later this week, to partake of our two favorite restaurants. Ted’s Escondido (Mexican food) and Cheesecake Factory. I always have the strawberry. And a stop at Macy’s maybe, to shop.

I can’t understand why Wichita doesn’t have the two restaurants. 😉 There was a Macy’s at one time in Wichita, but it closed.

Hmmm!  Too much fat in there for me.

Allan