Stranger in a Strange Land

32 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

You mention that you consider yourself lucky that you lost your home in NYC.  I consider you to be very lucky not to have stayed in Spain.

Allan

• Like 1

Yeah, Allan, but wherever we are we are just a step or two ahead of this virus. What I said was:

"Should I now consider myself lucky to have lost my home in New York City, where the coronavirus is out of control? Lucky today maybe. But this crisis shifts and changes every day. Today's New York could be tomorrow's Liverpool." 

Thanks, Martin.

Edited by Ed Rooney

Great blog again Edo. I used to wear a small bell around my neck in my hippie days... And Pattes d'Elef (flares) of course...

Edited by gvallee

On 05/04/2020 at 09:42, Ed Rooney said:

Nice one Ed thanks.  Took a portrait photo of the grandkids when they were last here, not the same using digital.....

I was an Ilford user, FP3 and then 4, various grades of HP, occasonal PanF  etc. Used ID11, and Microphen at several different dilutions. I never lost the thrill of seeing the developed film come out of the reel. Slightly tempted to load up the Bronica and have another go!

Still using Ilford HP5 for almost everything. 35mm in my film Leicas, 120 in my Rollei and 10" x 8" with my, well, 10" x 8" camera. Sales of my silver / gelatin and platinum prints are v healthy and preferred by discerning print collectors to inkjet. (They also sell for much more). I sell both prints from my 'archive' of older work and new work being made currently. Keeping me busy in these strange times. I can escape into the darkroom for periods and pretend, for a while at least, that what's happening outside, isn't. I suppose it's also the ultimate in self-isolation. Although I have my beer to keep me company. Not too much or I won't be able to focus the enlarger. 

Pete Davis

https://www.pete-davis-photography.com

http://peteslandscape.blogspot.com/

https://www.instagram.com/petedavisphoto/

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

I was an Ilford user, FP3 and then 4, various grades of HP,

Another Ilford user too and same experiences as Bryan. I also got the same experience watching the image developing on the print and readying to pull it if necessary.

I used to buy 35mm Ilford film in bulk rolls and reload my own cassettes too. Re-using the empty Ilford cassettes till they wore out, then I bought the re-usable empty ones.

Allan

Hey! This is making me all nostalgic and thinking I may go that route again when I finally get moved and find some reasonably priced film equipment. I even know someone who has a quality enlarger (was her husbands) who might like to let me have it at a reasonable price.

ITMA

42 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Another Ilford user too and same experiences as Bryan. I also got the same experience watching the image developing on the print and readying to pull it if necessary.

Same here. Around 54 years ago (was 14 then) I can still remember developing and printing my first film, like riding a bike, something you never forget. With the switch to digital photographers used to say they were glad they didn't have to put up with the smell of fixer, but I actually miss the distinctive smell. Later when using my Beseler enlarger to produce large 24" x 24" B&W prints (negs shot on a Mamiya TLR I still have) that were too big for my trays, I used to use a large colour drum, and roll it. Not until it was removed for washing in the bath were you sure if the earlier test strips were an accurate guide to exposure. Never did process colour, I preferred the tonality of B&W.

11 minutes ago, sb photos said:

Never did process colour,

I did venture into Cibachrome, latterly Ilfochrome when Ciba withdrew the rights to use their name, printing from trannys. But did not go far with it preferring B&W myself eventually moving to the Multigrade system.

It was strange that Ciba withdrew the rights for Ilford to use their name as they eventually became the owners of Ilford.

Allan