Stranger in a Strange Land

3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

City Centre is the proper noun that names the area. Ropewalks is another area, as is Chinatown. Oddly, one of my Macs wants me to use American spelling, while the other wants British spelling. I try to keep my misspelling evened out. Until I had Apple change it, iBooks was only listing books in Spanish on my MacBook Pro. My Air offered them in English.

I just had to rib you a bit, Ed. 😎

1 hour ago, Thyrsis said:

Inspired by Robert A. Heinlein’s Stranger in a Strange Land?

“Once upon a time there was a Martian named Valentine Michael Smith.” 

Much of their work is film, book and historical event themed. Some amazing artwork too, which can only be appreciated on LPs and posters.

Edited by Avpics

9 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I've always been a big fan of the siesta. Sad to see it disappearing. Our bodies (mine anyway) seem programed to nap for a short period during the afternoon. It's also a very civilized ritual. If more people in high places took siestas instead of tweeting idiocies, the world would be a much better place.

P.S. I think you're correct about the too-busy business world being the culprit. For example, in Mexico, traditionally the land of the long snooze, the siesta has all but disappeared in urban areas.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 2
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

John, I didn't want take on the roll of Science Guy in my blog, but naps are in fact good for your health.

I'm sure about that. Our bodies are telling us to take a break. Dogs have the right idea; they nap whenever they feel like it.

• Love 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I'm sure about that. Our bodies are telling us to take a break. Dogs have the right idea; they nap whenever they feel like it.

I'm leaning more towards big cats, lions etc spend up to 23hrs a day sleeping 1hr working or hunting .

11 minutes ago, aphperspective said:

I'm leaning more towards big cats, lions etc spend up to 23hrs a day sleeping 1hr working or hunting .

Be sure to choose to be a male lion. The females do all the hunting and then the males insist on being the first to eat. I hope this won't offend anyone's politics.

Paulette

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Be sure to choose to be a male lion. The females do all the hunting and then the males insist on being the first to eat. I hope this won't offend anyone's politics.

Paulette

It doesn't offend the lions' politics much. Maybe the wildebeest have a view on it.

2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

It doesn't offend the lions' politics much. Maybe the wildebeest have a view on it.

I'll stick with the ladies on this one. Male lions have a very short and violent lives, kicked out of your family when about 2, if you don't starve to death fight and win another family when your about 4-5, by about 7 another male/males kick you out and you starve to death again or get killed in the fight. Definitely better of being a lady and staying at home with the kids.🙄

3 hours ago, aphperspective said:

I'll stick with the ladies on this one. Male lions have a very short and violent lives, kicked out of your family when about 2, if you don't starve to death fight and win another family when your about 4-5, by about 7 another male/males kick you out and you starve to death again or get killed in the fight. Definitely better of being a lady and staying at home with the kids.🙄

So if you want the easy life as a lion you have to live here... https://www.wildanimalsanctuary.org   The wild places are tough!

Paulette

• Thanks 1

On 17/02/2020 at 17:44, NYCat said:

So if you want the easy life as a lion you have to live here... https://www.wildanimalsanctuary.org   The wild places are tough!

Paulette

North Carolina's state zoo in Pittsboro had a pride of lions, one male and some number of females.   One morning, the keepers found the male lion dead.  The ladies had decided they didn't like him anymore. 

52 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I'm confused. (When am I not?) I've tried to respond to a few comments on my blog, but it doesn't happen. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? 

Could it be about the two level commenting option that this url describes? https://smallbusiness.chron.com/post-replies-blogspot-39193.html

Um, I’m a little confused with how this conversation goes, much like a pub chat; whilst I am still thinking about one topic everyone else has moved on to something different! If aliens are still on theme as per the thread title, my favourite was called Ford Prefect who picked what he thought was the commonest name when he arrived on the planet. Ok it was a while ago!

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Yes, The Hitchhikers Guide -- I remember it well, Rob. My threads do seem to drift about some. I don't mind. I'm not exactly talking about an f-stop or if it's better to own Nikons or Canons. 

Well that’s good because I use neither, belonging to a rather more exclusive clique! 

Edited by Rob Lavers
Grammar

3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Wish you would stop changing your avatar so frequently it makes it difficult to keep track.

Mind you, you look younger in this last one.☺️

Allan