Stranger in a Strange Land

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Alas, Mark -- what is your problem with Argo? Curiosity is my motivation in asking. 

I have never heard of Argos being the butt of any jokes. Not sure what spacecadet means in fact. They were probably competition for the department stores before the age of internet shopping with their model of going through a paper catalogue rather than actually walking around among the goods. They have a vast range of stuff for sale at competitive prices and the best way I find to shop there is to buy online first and then collect in their store (a few minutes away from where I live). 

Nothing wrong with  Argo the movie either - there is a great punchline by Alan Arkin which I better not repeat in full here along the lines of argo **** yourself. 

Edited by MDM
  • Love 1

For me, Argo is the only place within walking distance where I might be able to buy some inexpensive furniture. And yes, Argo was a very good film. 

Paid rent with a Barclays transfer today, a major step forward. Lots to get done still. Poco a poco.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

For me, Argo is the only place within walking distance where I might be able to buy some inexpensive furniture. And yes, Argo was a very good film. 

Paid rent with a Barclays transfer today, a major step forward. Lots to get done still. Poco a poco.

I hope my words turn out to be a wholesome diet when I eat them.

I'm about to buy a camping airbed from Argos. That's furniture, right?

Edited by spacecadet

4 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Argos is the butt of a few jokes here. Probably unjustified. I haven't been there for 20 years..

November 30 last year I ordered a freezer from Argos.

December 30 it was delivered.

December 31 I phoned them to say it didn't work.

January 13 an engineer arrived to look at it and found a faulty thermostat.

January 23 the engineer returned with a new thermostat. It was the wrong one.

February 6 he is due to return with the correct one.

Over two months since I bought it and I still don't have a working freezer. I'm not holding my breath.

Alan

Try the British Heart Foundation charity shops for low cost new and used furniture and electrical goods. Three stores in Liverpool. We bought a set of old but characterful  and robust dining chairs from BHF. 

Edit - I appear to have become part of the furniture, too much time spent here!

Edited by Bryan

10 hours ago, Inchiquin said:

November 30 last year I ordered a freezer from Argos.

December 30 it was delivered.

December 31 I phoned them to say it didn't work.

January 13 an engineer arrived to look at it and found a faulty thermostat.

January 23 the engineer returned with a new thermostat. It was the wrong one.

February 6 he is due to return with the correct one.

Over two months since I bought it and I still don't have a working freezer. I'm not holding my breath.

Alan

Ah.

6 hours ago, Bryan said:

Try the British Heart Foundation charity shops for low cost new and used furniture and electrical goods. Three stores in Liverpool. We bought a set of old but characterful  and robust dining chairs from BHF. 

The BHF stores in City Centre don't do furniture. I'm told that some out in the neighbourhoods do. But I'm not going to explore that possibility. 

Edited by Ed Rooney

5 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

The BHF stores in City Centre don't do furniture. I'm told that some out in the neighbourhoods do. But I'm not going to explore that possibility. 

But if you do...

Tuebrook Furniture & Electrical Store

Address: 509 West Derby Road, Tuebrook, Liverpool, L6 4BW

And they'll deliver...

BHF also deliver. You only need to go and look. I believe it is £20 for a delivery wether you have only one item or a dozen or more on the van.

Allan

3 hours ago, Vincent Lowe said:

A date for your diaries - the Don McCullin exhibition, currently at Tate Britain in London, will be at Tate Liverpool from 5th June to 27th September.

https://www.tate.org.uk/whats-on/tate-liverpool/exhibition/don-mccullin

The Tate Britain show was actually last year, but good to know that it can be seen again later this year. There is also a show of his landscapes currently on at Hauser & Wirth in Somerset.

Alex

On 03/02/2020 at 21:32, Bryan said:

I’m getting close, Bryan. Are you one of the recliners? I plan to be the chipped yellow antique console with the Tiffany lamp on it.

• Love 1

18 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I’m getting close, Bryan. Are you one of the recliners? I plan to be the chipped yellow antique console with the Tiffany lamp on it.

That sounds excitingly exotic Betty,   the old threadbare carpet is more my style

6 hours ago, Bryan said:

That sounds excitingly exotic Betty,   the old threadbare carpet is more my style

I'm that modern lamp on the centre table, brightening up the entire room. (I live a rich fantasy life.)

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Love 2

30 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I'm that modern lamp on the centre table, brightening up the entire room. (I live a rich fantasy life.)

:lol:  CentreEd?? My my, when in France.....

Edited by Betty LaRue

I couldn’t be anything other than a kitchen table, where the family gathers round.

In fact the table in my kitchen belonged to my mother. It’s a post 2nd world war utility table with a deal worktop. I grew up eating at that table and then about 30 years ago we rescued it from my parent’s garage where it was then  being used as a workbench. (it was the ‘80’s and they had gone all modern and replaced it with  ‘Ercol’)

Every time I see this thread title it reminds me of a huge poster I used to have hanging up.

Stranger In A Strange Land

The android with no name walked into the crowded spaceport bar. Eight-foot tall,

with death in his cold android eyes, he strode across the room. Small green aliens

scuttled out of his path. Fearsome Martian warriors would not meet his gaze and

the air froze when he croaked in his dark gravelly voice: "A pint of bitter please,

mate"

• Love 1

3 hours ago, Thyrsis said:

I couldn’t be anything other than a kitchen table, where the family gathers round.

In fact the table in my kitchen belonged to my mother. It’s a post 2nd world war utility table with a deal worktop. I grew up eating at that table and then about 30 years ago we rescued it from my parent’s garage where it was then  being used as a workbench. (it was the ‘80’s and they had gone all modern and replaced it with  ‘Ercol’)

I appreciate that.  That’s in my wheelhouse. I wish I still had the yellow & chrome mid-century dinette set back they my mother handed down to me. But I moved to a house that didn’t have an eat-in kitchen and had to sell it. I’m forum furniture now. :wub:

• Love 1

14 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

:lol:  CentreEd?? My my, when in France.....

City Centre is the proper noun that names the area. Ropewalks is another area, as is Chinatown. Oddly, one of my Macs wants me to use American spelling, while the other wants British spelling. I try to keep my misspelling evened out. Until I had Apple change it, iBooks was only listing books in Spanish on my MacBook Pro. My Air offered them in English.

• Love 1

17 hours ago, Avpics said:

Every time I see this thread title it reminds me of a huge poster I used to have hanging up.

Stranger In A Strange Land

The android with no name walked into the crowded spaceport bar. Eight-foot tall,

with death in his cold android eyes, he strode across the room. Small green aliens

scuttled out of his path. Fearsome Martian warriors would not meet his gaze and

the air froze when he croaked in his dark gravelly voice: "A pint of bitter please,

mate"

Inspired by Robert A. Heinlein’s Stranger in a Strange Land?

“Once upon a time there was a Martian named Valentine Michael Smith.”