Thank you, Alamy

My uploads are whizzing through in seconds. I haven’t had a hang-up in a long time. I think Alamy has invested in fixing the troubles. Some may have problems, but it’s possible it’s on the user’s end.

Again, than you, Alamy. I no longer dread hitting the upload button.

Betty

• Like 2

I second Betty's post, for me it is usually within 24h, if it takes longer I start fearing a QC fail and re-review my upload. 

This is now the case, uploaded yesterday morning and no QC pass as of yet - but also it was Monday with all the weekend work pending, not complaining at all. 

If I was unclear, I’m sorry. I’m talking about the upload process only. Remember around the % change, many of us were having a lot of trouble just uploading. Taking an hour to upload 10, or having images hang over and over, having to quit and try again later.

My images zip on the upload now. I never have to start it, get up and leave, come back later.

But QC is great, too!

Sorry, Ed, but it’s probably on your end. When you left NYC, your troubles started off and on.

Betty

Edited by Betty LaRue

7 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Good grief, I'm having nothing but trouble!

Edo

Hi Ed, Alamy uploader is flash based and you are using a Mac? The problem with old flash software is that it doesn’t work well, so I found out on a Mac you have to download a Flash uninstaller from Adobe run that tool and then choose the current Mac flash program for your machine, maybe worth a try to get round these upload problems.

23 minutes ago, Normspics said:

Hi Ed, Alamy uploader is flash based and you are using a Mac? The problem with old flash software is that it doesn’t work well, so I found out on a Mac you have to download a Flash uninstaller from Adobe run that tool and then choose the current Mac flash program for your machine, maybe worth a try to get round these upload problems.

That is no longer the case (Alamy and Flash that is). I don't even have Flash installed anymore on my Mac. The web upload problems were resolved several months ago (before the summer) as far as I know. Edo's problem might be something to do with upload restrictions or poor upload speeds from his internet provider. 

Alamy is helping me sort out this upload problem. I usually use the Safari browser but I have Chrome and Firefox and they do no better. Everything else I do on the Internet works smoothly . . . except for my Alamy uploads. I'm not talking about QC. I have no problems there. 

This unload problem and the poor lighting in my bathroom are not enough to spoil the pleasure I'm having doing those everyday things people do that I've not been able to do lately: buying basic food stuff, finding bargains on glasses and utensils, washing dishes by hand. 

5 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Alamy is helping me sort out this upload problem. I usually use the Safari browser but I have Chrome and Firefox and they do no better. Everything else I do on the Internet works smoothly . . . except for my Alamy uploads. I'm not talking about QC. I have no problems there. 

This unload problem and the poor lighting in my bathroom are not enough to spoil the pleasure I'm having doing those everyday things people do that I've not been able to do lately: buying basic food stuff, finding bargains on glasses and utensils, washing dishes by hand. 

Ed, I’m so happy for you to have the simple pleasures you’ve missed for so long. You’ve been homeless but without being on the street. Just to be able to cook a bowl of oatmeal or soup, instead of being forced to eat out is worth a lot.  You must buy a 9-12” decorator tree to cheer up a flat surface. I brought home two little 9 inch blue tinsel trees yesterday! 

Got oatmeal, got soup, got a kettle, got a French press, got coffee, got fruit, got yogurt, got spoons and knives and forks and everything I need to make my first breakfast at home since Seville tomorrow morning. 

Poundland and Best Bargains have gives-away prices on everything but M&S Foodhall here is huge and fabulous. 

The dark side continues. I had to buy some small battery-operated lights for the bathroom. And I'm unable to upload any images to Alamy. Everyone gets a red error message. ?????????????

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

The dark side continues. I had to buy some small battery-operated lights for the bathroom. And I'm unable to upload any images to Alamy. Everyone gets a red error message. ?????????????

Try taking the laptop to a cybercafe if there are such things.  Also talk to your landlord to see if they're filtering uploads for any reason.  I''ve got third world internet and don't have problems uploading, just a trifle slower than what others are reporting.  

Understand, I have just the one lonely problem with Internet: I can't upload images to Alamy. (I don't upload to other agencies.) Everything else is working smoothly. So I don't see this as a WiFi problem in this building. Slow would be fine.

Yes, they have free WiFi at all the local cafes. I've been using the Pret a Manger WiFi with my phone. And ten minutes away is the Central Lbrary, where I can use my Mac or one of their computers. But I want a solution to this problem, not a temporary fix.

I'm going to carry a Mac to Pret a Manger now.

Okay, as I figured, uploading did not work any better at Pret a Manger. One image went through. Six others did not. This sometimes happens at my flat or in a hotel. The problem has only to do with my attempted uploading to Alamy, drag and drop or the other way. The coding is normal. It is something in my system that only targets the uploads. 

Edited by Ed Rooney

Ed - Have you tried uploading via FTP?

Its how I upload from my Mac - nice and seamless!

I use the "Filezilla App" free version - which you can download directly from their website - dont download from the App store, where they try and force the "Pro", paid version on to you!

https://filezilla-project.org/

The Alamy instructions are here

https://www.alamy.com/contributor/how-to-sell-images/how-do-i-send-you-my-stock-images/?section=4

Good luck

Jools 

18 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Got oatmeal, got soup, got a kettle, got a French press, got coffee, got fruit, got yogurt, got spoons and knives and forks and everything I need to make my first breakfast at home since Seville tomorrow morning. 

That is fabulous.

Although battery-operated lights in the bathroom isn’t good. I had one in a closet once, and the light was weak and the light color was blue-ish. Barely passable for a closet but entirely wrong for a bathroom, where you look for that bit of spinach in your teeth! 😂

19 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Poundland and Best Bargains have gives-away prices on everything but M&S Foodhall here is huge and fabulous. 

I remember last time that happened you were adding something unacceptable to your file names. Have you been doing something new lately?

Paulette

On 20/11/2019 at 22:26, Ed Rooney said:

Oh dear! Having to slum it now after all that time in luxury being looked after in hotels and restaurants.🤣

Allan

Had to look up "French press". So that is what you call a "Cafetiere".😉

ITMA

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Oh dear! Having to slum it now after all that time in luxury being looked after in hotels and restaurants.🤣

Allan

Had to look up "French press". So that is what you call a "Cafetiere".😉

ITMA

... and for keywording people, we used to call it by brand name "bodum" 

With regard to upload problems, I had this recently.  Whenever I tried to upload a file, the progress bar would shoot to the and and then drop back to 35%.  There it would stay.

It turned out to be the latest update of BitDefender being over cautious.  It was the on-line threat protection section.  I just had to add the various URL's of the places I was uploading to as 'exceptions'.  Immediately solved the problem.

John

I am on two MacBooks, John, not Windows. But Alamy has told me that my problem could be an antivirus system being overprotective. I do not have any third-party antivirus software. Friday and Saturday I tried to update my macOS to the latest. It would not upload in six attempts. 

Edo

15 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I am on two MacBooks, John, not Windows. But Alamy has told me that my problem could be an antivirus system being overprotective. I do not have any third-party antivirus software. Friday and Saturday I tried to update my macOS to the latest. It would not upload in six attempts. 

Edo

The fact that you couldn't download Catalina indicates the upload issue is unlikely to be an Alamy problem. Have you run a broadband speed test? Sounds as if your internet is just good enough for email use, like many in pubs and cafe's.  Catalina is a big download, and I've seen downloads fail that leaves the macOS in an non bootable state, so beware. If it helps you I could post you a USB Catalina 10.15.1 installer that would update your Mac's, but would advise only updating one first. Also check all the applications you use are 64 bit compliant and are compatible. If required I could leave an email address of mine in this thread, it is one that I only use for purchases and attracts loads of spam already, so no problem. Don't post any of your personal details in this open forum.