Thank you, Alamy

3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Someone suggested that I buy a WiFi extender, a device I'd not hear of. I watched some YouTube videos on them and I will look into it. 

Maybe try a $1 network cable first to see if that brings a solution. Lots cheaper. You do need access to the modem or the router though.

Poundland maybe?

wim

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

This building I'm in is a combination hotel and apartment complex. I don't have access to the router, Wim. 

Lots more darkness and rain today but then we're getting three days of sunshine.🙂

I don't speak Mac, but if you click on your wifi icon, there should be some way of checking the signal strength to see if it's worth boosting. But extenders are really meant to relay a signal around a house with its own wifi hub- you're nowhere near the hub so it may not help much. But £6.99 or whatever off ebay may be worth a try- we have one to get the signal into our kitchen because the Edwardian bricks act as a pretty good Faraday cage.

7 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

This building I'm in is a combination hotel and apartment complex. I don't have access to the router, Wim. 

Lots more darkness and rain today but then we're getting three days of sunshine.🙂

May I suggest a wifi analyzing app on you macbook and going around the apartment/hotel to find the best place to sit? Could be the hallway or the entrance.

It may look less weird if you use a phone to scout out the location though. (This is what I do, using wifi analyzer, but it's android.)

https://www.netspotapp.com/best-apps-to-measure-wifi-signal-strength-windows.html is mac.

You may even discover the device this way, in which case you could try the cable. Usually no need for a password that way. 😉

(The $1 cable  -1 pound of course in your case- at Poundland at one point was a 15 meter Belkin cable 😁)

Others have already suggested doing a speed test like from ookla: https://www.speedtest.net/

Always a good start.

wim

After doing a series of exhaustive and sometimes dangerous tests of this app, that wire, and other gizmos I've managed to buy, steal, or borrow here and there, I've found no meaningful solution to this problem. (Of course I've done of that.) I'm in a small studio apartment! There is no best place to be in this one room. 

Why is the answer to a problem I'm having always mean 2 or 3 other problems to be solved? I don't care what my wifi speed is. It works or it doesn't work. And it doesn't. 😜

My solution is to upload twice a week from the Apple Store. 

I already know that the wifi is not strong enough to allow uploading images to Alamy. Putting a number on that will not help. I could buy a wifi extender and see if that works. It may or may not. Carrying a MacBook to the Apple Store twice a week is not even a slight inconvenience. I don't even have to buy a coffee like at a cyber cafe. And I might even learn something.   

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Like 1

I have not been able to upload for about one month. (I dont use wifi just super fast cable via ethernet ports  using an iMac), Customer services told me to clean my cache, use a different browser, use FTP, tried a different computer, non of which worked.  Things improved last week when the images uploaded very quickly but less than 2% went through to QC the rest just disappeared. 

Then 2 days ago, hey presto, fast uploads all images going through to QC.

On 27/11/2019 at 23:59, Ed Rooney said:

I don't have access to the router

I wonder if that's the problem.  Someone else is hogging the bandwidth?

My friends with laptops/phones talk about this bandwidth hogging as being a big problem in public spaces like cafes and hotels.  Apparently people were abusing free internet to mine for coins??? (whatever that is) or upload youtube videos because they were too cheep to buy enough bandwidth (if that is the word - amount of internet ) at home.  

Some providers limit the amount of uploading available per month.  Once they reach a certain limit, the upload speed slows right down.  

Another issue we used to have when we lived in the city was the internet getting much slower in the peak times when people came home from work.  The internet was fastest between 2am and 6am - but that was over 10 years ago.

How is it today?  (start of the month)

I didn't see the results of the speed test.  It's the fastest way to tell if it's the equipment or the internet.  To do a speed test, I google "internet speed test" then usually do two or three tests because there can be a lot of variation between the different tests.  (one currently says I have 8 units of internet download, when I should have 300 units, so I looked up where that tester thingy is and they have a power outage but all the others say I have 300+ units of internet download and 20-40 units upload).

Edited by CrowingHen

Basically what I said about throttling. I also noticed about the time kids got out of school, uploading was slower, and weekends could be slow. That was years ago when I believe there was a monthly limit on what I could use.

There was a big stink, reported in the news, about people getting unlimited plans, but getting throttled beyond a certain level of use (slowed way down) so much that trying to use the Internet was worthless unless you were willing to wait a minute for a page to load. I think the government stepped in and made the providers stop that practice.

My provider upped my speed back when I had trouble and all was good until the last year or two on Alamy’s end. But even then, I could still upload.  Anything on Alamy’s end seems to have been fixed, thus my title to this thread.

On another note, my sister lives in a metal house with metal roof, and she has great difficulty getting a signal on her mobile phone. She has to open the door and stand there.

So wim’s suggestion about walking around and trying different places has merit. Like the connected hotel or hallway outside of your flat. But since you’re happy with going to the Apple Store, Ed, I won’t bother my brain any longer.

Betty