Thank you, Alamy

Steve, basically, I don't know what you're talking about. A broadband speed test? A non-bootable state? It seems all my computer and internet problems have other problems. 

As I've said several times, I do not believe this is a slow WiFi problem. I've tried to upload on two other cafe WiFi's. I also don't believe this is an Alamy problem . . . but for whatever reason it is an Alamy image uploading problem. 

Alamy will probably get back to me tomorrow. And there's an Apple Store in Liverpool ONE. 

Thanks, Edo

I can't see how Alamy will be able to help Edo unless there is somebody willing to walk you through various options. Anyway it must be some software issue on your machines related to security. If you have already tried alternative browsers to Safari (e.g. FIrefox) and that has not worked, then you could try turning off the Firewall temporarily and see if that works.

To do this go to System Preferences in the Apple Menu, go to Security and Privacy, Firewall tab. If it is on (which it should be), it will probably be locked. Click the lock symbol on the bottom left, enter your login password and then click Turn Off Firewall. Try uploading to Alamy and see if that has any effect.

If it doesn't solve the problem then maybe bang your head on the nearest wall, preferably with a pillow between your head and the wall. If it solves the problem, then you will need to check what is actually causing the problem in Firewall Options. Come back if it does. 

23 minutes ago, NYCat said:

I just looked at my MacBook Air and the firewall was off. I have turned it on. Now all my problems will be officially your fault.  🙄

Paulette

Great. I love responsibilty. 😀

Actually I have the Firewall turned on always but I don't know whether it does any good or not. I am not aware of having had any problem with any malware since I went back to Mac over 10 years ago but I am pretty careful about what I browse on the web. 

Okay, Micheal. I've done all that and it produced nothing but more frustration. I had to get Firefox again after 15 or so tricky steps. I've opened and closed the Firewall, tried Safari, Chrome, and Firefox. Nothing has changed. 

As I was doing all that, the fire alarm went off in my building. When does the fun begin?

Edo

19 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

As I was doing all that, the fire alarm went off in my building.

It's OK they were only testing it.😯

Allan

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Okay, Micheal. I've done all that and it produced nothing but more frustration. I had to get Firefox again after 15 or so tricky steps. I've opened and closed the Firewall, tried Safari, Chrome, and Firefox. Nothing has changed. 

As I was doing all that, the fire alarm went off in my building. When does the fun begin?

Edo

OK Edo. I haven't got a clue what is wrong given that using wifi elsewhere makes no difference either. If you had wifi I would suggest a clean reinstall of the OS on one of your computers but you need wifi for that of course so not much good. It looks like a trip to the Liverpool Apple Store might be the best option. 

I have WiFi. It's been working perfectly on Internet, news, videos, music, email, Alamy forum, and Alamy homepage stuff. But I can't upload images to Alamy or update to macOS Catalina. "Luckily", with all this rain and dark days, I'm not shooting much. 🤨

45 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I have WiFi. It's been working perfectly on Internet, news, videos, music, email, Alamy forum, and Alamy homepage stuff. But I can't upload images to Alamy or update to macOS Catalina. "Luckily", with all this rain and dark days, I'm not shooting much. 🤨

Uploading images is different from light usage like that though which is why I suggested turning off the firewall in case you had restricted something in relation to outgoing data. If you have ruled out traffic restrictions from your internet provider which you seem to have done by attempting the same outside, then I have no idea I'm afraid.  Although not being able to download Catalina also suggests a slow connection issue for whatever reason. So the Apple Store would seem to be a good idea. It is likely to be something really simple.

I believe you were finally successful in uploading at one of your hotels, weren’t you, Ed? If so, that suggests to me it’s not your computer but the broadband provider.

Over here, at one time, there was restrictions on how many GB or whatever one could use in a month. (I’m about as technical as you, Ed) And I remember reading at other times a brougha over some providers throttling down the speed once a certain limit was used.  Even though you haven’t been successful, if there are other people using it, there might be a cumulative throttling. If the property owner has to pay a higher fee after a certain amount of usage in a given month, and there are others who are heavy users, there could be throttling going on.
I would ask the flat manager person to tell you who handles the Wi-Fi/broadband for the property, and see if you can speak with them to find out what the capacity is.
That person actually could be quite ignorant about that stuff, and only know how to hook up the equipment.  Here at my home, and before in Oklahoma City, periodically I would be knocked off the Internet and would have to reset the modem by unplugging all the wires, waiting a minute and plugging them back in or calling my provider and having them remotely reset everything. 
But you say everything else works (email, etc.) but for high loads such as uploading images, downloading OS.  Huh.
Betty

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

As I've said several times, I do not believe this is a slow WiFi problem. I've tried to upload on two other cafe WiFi's. I also don't believe this is an Alamy problem . . . but for whatever reason it is an Alamy image uploading problem. 

On 24/11/2019 at 07:36, Ed Rooney said:

I am on two MacBooks, John, not Windows. But Alamy has told me that my problem could be an antivirus system being overprotective. I do not have any third-party antivirus software. Friday and Saturday I tried to update my macOS to the latest. It would not upload in six attempts. 

Edo

BitDefender is my anti-virus software and it was that which was stopping my uploads.  As soon as I added the Alamy URL to the BitDefender exceptions, no more upload problems.  I believe that most anti-virus software has the ability to add 'exceptions'.

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Yes, I understood that. That is not my situation.

Don't bite Edo 😐 but have you ever installed or allowed somebody to install any anti-malware or anti-virus software on your Macs? None of this makes sense. It has to be something on your computer if you have ruled out wifi problems. That is why I suggested you turn off the firewall which didn't work.  The problems with Alamy web uploading were resolved ages ago so it is very unlikely to be down to Alamy. Also you said you couldn't download Catalina which indicates a wider problem. 

Edited by MDM

I'm typing this in the Apple Store. I have an appointment to talk to them tomorrow morning . . . but a positive event has just happened. 

I tried an unload to Alamy just now and it went through toot sweet! (My spelling is no better in French.) 

Soooo, this may in fact be a WiFi problem I've been having. We'll see. If I have to, I can do my editing at home and my uploading at the Apple Store. 

I apologize to all you good and helpful Forum folks. I am in a temper most of the time. 😀😀😀

Edo of Liverpool 

• Love 1

good news Ed. To do a speedtest just go to one of the sites like Ookla, then you will know for sure. Test at different times of day, you may find one thats better. Good news that you a work around if needed though. Jenny

Covered a Live news political event this afternoon which finished at 3:10. Walked back to the car and uploaded 200+ images onto the macbook. Selected 17 and processed them and added headlines/captions then saved all in L.R. Logged onto Alamy Live News using my iphone, then just before you press the upload button panic sets in, have you got a good WiFi connection, is it quick enough in the remote area, is it going to stop half way through, but no zip, zip, zip, zip, zip, zip, went the images and all completed for 3:30. Thanks Alamy,😀😀

• Love 1

I was back at the Apple Store first thing this morning and updated my second MacBook (the Air 13") to macOS Catalina. I also did another test upload to Alamy and that went through in seconds. QC has gotten very fast these last few days too. Everything is moving forward. (Except for the weather of course.) 

Edited by Ed Rooney