How was your September 2019?

Not good!

A $100 refund on a sale from June and re-invoiced the same day for the same amount. Due apparently to an invoicing error by Alamy.

End result is that a sale that should have cleared some time ago will possibly not clear until December.... 😡

3 minutes ago, Brasilnut said:

Indeed. 

As I said. Why are you echoing it?

It is not customary to make comments when people report their sales. It is an open exchange of information not an opportunity for discussion.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4
  • Dislike 3

People already seem quite guarded about revealing information. I would hope that those willing to share aren't going to be targeted or made to feel uncomfortable for doing so. 

Having had what I consider a 'worrying' month I don't really need somebody rubbing my nose in it.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 1
  • Dislike 1

$1 gross 😞

Hoping this month was an Alamy anomaly ...Alamy had been doing nicely for me this year ... by the summer my revenue was equal to all of last year's with less than half the sales volume, ...so my RPI had doubled and I was hopeful that perhaps I'd have a banner year... but the last two months have been disappointing... still, today my CTR jumped to 1.47 for the month with 8 zooms in one day  .. a couple were two zooms on one search term with few other zooms..so maybe October will pick up. Good month elsewhere. 

• Love 1

11 hours ago, geogphotos said:

People already seem quite guarded about revealing information. I would hope that those willing to share aren't going to be targeted or made to feel uncomfortable for doing so. 

Having had what I consider a 'worrying' month I don't really need somebody rubbing my nose in it.

Hi Ian,

My intention is/was not to be passive aggressive or rub my nose on your "extremely worrying" month. This is a sensitive issue, of course and I have to tread carefully.

I don't want to come across as a complete jackass, and have all intentions to make this a constructive comment / question to generate a thoughtful discussion. Many newbies are reading here and trying to find a way forward. The whole stock game is changing and we need to be proactive to find solutions. 

In brief:

- You have 65,694 images, of which I presume that most are exclusive on here. 

- Some rough calculations means that supposing you make $500 net a month on those images (let's say Sept was a blip), this would equal $6,000/year or just under 10cents/image/year. 

Questions (feel free to tell me to fk off at any moment, it's fine, but would be interesting to have others' thoughts on this):

- How is this a sustainable business model to earn 10cents/image on exclusive images?

- If it's "extremely worrying", what steps would you take to mitigate?

On my port I earned only $80 net from 11,212 images. A poor month but supposing I earn $150/net x 12, that's still $1800 or aprox 15cents/image/year, but fortunately 95% of my collection on here is non-exclusive. 15 cents/image/year is unsustainable imo. 

It is not customary to make comments when people report their sales. It is an open exchange of information not an opportunity for discussion.

Why not? Seems silly, imo, in an open forum to prevent others' from commenting (within reason) on their sales. Collaboration is more effective than competition, after all, it's a huge industry and there are endless opportunities in a market that's constantly changing to meet buyers' needs. 

Edited by Brasilnut
Making comments when people report on their sales
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Brasilnut said:

Many newbies are reading here and trying to find a way forward. The whole stock game is changing and we need to be proactive to find solutions. 

Seriously, if I was a newbie and wasn't doing absolutely brilliantly as far as licenses for my images go, I'd be very wary of letting anyone know if I thought someone was going to question the viability of my "business model" on a public forum and ask what I was going to do about it. 

Just me of course, but to me that is way beyond the pale when it comes to how one would treat a newbie who was "trying to find a way forward".

YOMV of course, and that's fine.

DD

21 hours ago, dustydingo said:

Seriously, if I was a newbie and wasn't doing absolutely brilliantly as far as licenses for my images go, I'd be very wary of letting anyone know if I thought someone was going to question the viability of my "business model" on a public forum and ask what I was going to do about it. 

Just me of course, but to me that is way beyond the pale when it comes to how one would treat a newbie who was "trying to find a way forward".

YOMV of course, and that's fine.

DD

I would have loved to have received some constructive feedback when I was starting out. Would have saved me 100s of hours and much frustration. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, John Morrison said:

But isn't it customary to remove one's hat when entering the forum?

It's not merely a hat, it's protective clothing. In the desert. Elf and safety gone mad if yer ask me.

Anyway, there's no hatstand so you're allowed to keep it on.

Edited by spacecadet

1 hour ago, Steve F said:

Is someone going to eat the hat? If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there, does it still make a sound? Are we enjoying our metaphysics? ;)

You ain't seen nothing yet. I've not even started on the claret.

6 hours ago, Brasilnut said:

I would have loved to have received some constructive feedback when I was starting out. Would have saved me 100s of hours and much frustration. 

If you read carefully, you'll see I wasn't refering to "constructive feedback".

DD

I do think that these monthly 'How was the month' threads work best if people just post accurate sales information to share. You can then have a look through their pics and draw any conclusion you want. In my case you'd probably see that I am doing a lot of obscure stuff which are not likely money-spinners.

We seem to have gone off all over the place in this thread and I'm not exactly sure why I am being chosen for public scrutiny.

But just to point out one false assumption made above by Brasilnut. I am not Alamy exclusive. I made the decision to 'do something about it 'back in 2012. So I get another pot of money from another major agency each month. Between those two pots and my non-stock income I get by and can sustain myself quite happily if not luxuriously.

And I certainly would not expect anybody new to stock to want to learn anything at all from me. I am not a professional photographer, just a former geography teacher with a camera who enjoys stock photography, only does RM and has no interest in microstock.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Love 3
  • Like 3