DACS Payback 2019?

Has everyone gotten their payout from Alamy? Is it now safe to say that if I didn't, nothing has been claimed? I'm thinking I should register direct next year as I certainly found publications but nothing has been deposited into my account. Probably easier to pinpoint these to DACS directly

Edited by SvetlanaSF

4 minutes ago, SvetlanaSF said:

Has everyone gotten their payout from Alamy? Is it now safe to say that if I didn't, nothing has been claimed? I'm thinking I should register direct next year as I certainly found publications but nothing has been deposited into my account. Probably easier to pinpoint these to DACS directly

I believe the opt-out only started a couple of years ago, so as you joined in 2011, unless you've opted in Alamy won't claim for you, so you've missed this year's scheme.

Edited by spacecadet

12 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

I believe the opt-out only started a couple of years ago, so as you joined in 2011, unless you've opted in Alamy won't claim for you, so you've missed this year's scheme.

If I believe the Alamy FAQ here, there is no place for me to opt in, so I don't think I missed anything: https://www.alamy.com/contributor/faqs/most-frequently-asked-questions/?section=9

Q. I would like you to claim DACS payments from Alamy sales, how do I do this?
A. You don’t need to do anything. Unless you opted out for DACS Payback by the 30th July 2016 (see contributor contract clause 28 and 28.1) then we’ll automatically claim for all eligible licenses on your behalf.

Q. I had to sign a form last year, do you need a form from me this year?
A. DACS have changed the way they want us to work this year. They don’t need a form from each individual, they just need one from us as your representative.

Edited by SvetlanaSF

48 minutes ago, Reimar said:

John - the Queen doesn't need the tip.  Keep your 20% and fill out the forms.  I did and have not had any withholding tax since.

On second thoughts, you're probably right. May I ask (again) where HRM keeps her forms?

2 hours ago, SvetlanaSF said:

I have, Mine is also in under the Net Revenue sales report with todays date

2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

On second thoughts, you're probably right. May I ask (again) where HRM keeps her forms?

Go to www.gov.uk and search for double taxation treaty with Canada.  There is a PDF form for relief at source and to claim reimbursement.  You'll need to fill out both parts.

7 minutes ago, Reimar said:

Go to www.gov.uk and search for double taxation treaty with Canada.  There is a PDF form for relief at source and to claim reimbursement.  You'll need to fill out both parts.

Thanks very much. I now remember checking that website out in 2018. Perhaps this year I'll actually fill out the forms.

5 hours ago, NYCat said:

Last year it said .....Other income........DACS Payment.....   Nothing this year. Maybe tomorrow..... Boo hoo.... Someone is allergic to cats.

Paulette

Nothing for me either Paulette.  Perhaps tomorrow.  I'll meow with you.

Jill

Mine both appeared today too. DACS Payment 2019 for $93 plus an additional German Payment of $24. I'm happy with that. Thanks Alamy for taking care of the paperwork for me.

6 hours ago, Reimar said:

Svetlana, I think spacecadet is saying that if you want to claim for yourself, you need to opt OUT of Alamy doing it for you. 

I may have misunderstood that, apologies then. But, obviously, it's late to claim direct for this year. I was trying to assess if my not having payment by now meant that it wasn't coming at all, if everyone has already gotten theirs.

10 hours ago, NYCat said:

Last year it said .....Other income........DACS Payment.....   Nothing this year. Maybe tomorrow..... Boo hoo.... Someone is allergic to cats.

Paulette

Hi Paulette,

Just got mine today, how about you?

This year a bit lower than last year.

I'm afraid I don't fully understand how this DACS claim works since I'm not from Europe. But do Worldwide sales also count in UK license?

Thanks

7 hours ago, SvetlanaSF said:

I may have misunderstood that, apologies then. But, obviously, it's late to claim direct for this year. I was trying to assess if my not having payment by now meant that it wasn't coming at all, if everyone has already gotten theirs.

I misremembered too. I don't remember having to opt out but I did - on 20/6/16. I thought the opt-out was grandfathered in from the old contract but it wasn't.

Please, someone explain how one’s DAC payment goes down. My understanding is that this year’s sales are added to all that came before. So it seems each year should, at least, be something more than last year’s payout.

Am I wrong and totally not understanding this?

I let Alamy claim for me. But I do think those of us who allow Alamy to claim, should get an accounting. If nothing else, it would help me understand which of my sales are  claim-worthy.

I’m not suggesting Alamy is taking some of our proceeds that belong to us, but full disclosure would seem to be the thing to do. I’ve been reading about so many people who handle money cook the books for their own gain.  An accounting would go a ways toward people who wonder if they’re being cheated having more trust.

Betty

6 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Please, someone explain how one’s DAC payment goes down. My understanding is that this year’s sales are added to all that came before. So it seems each year should, at least, be something more than last year’s payout.

I let Alamy claim for me. But I do think those of us who allow Alamy to claim, should get an accounting. If nothing else, it would help me understand which of my sales are  claim-worthy.

I’m not suggesting Alamy is taking some of our proceeds that belong to us, but full disclosure would seem to be the thing to do. I’ve been reading about so many people who handle money cook the books for their own gain.  An accounting would go a ways toward people who wonder if they’re being cheated having more trust.

Betty

There are several reasons for a year-on-year fall in the payout. First, the accumulated funds are shared out between all claimants, and the number of people claiming is rising, in part due to initiatives such as Alamy's auto opt-in contract. Thus everyone gets a smaller slice of the pie. There is also a conditional element of the payout which you only get if you provide ISBN numbers. If I remember correctly, Alamy does not claim that part, and it makes up an increasing percentage of the payout each year (until a limit is reached). So that would also account for a yearly reduction in the payout.

If Alamy are not claiming the conditional element, I feel that they should partly refund the (undisclosed) fee that they charge, as they are not fully completing the task that they have undertaken in the contract.

7 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I’m not suggesting Alamy is taking some of our proceeds that belong to us, but full disclosure would seem to be the thing to do.

Yes it would be good to see this and would possibly help me decide if I should ask Alamy to claim for me in the future, especially with respect to their fees.

1 hour ago, DJ Myford said:

If I remember correctly, Alamy does not claim that part

In 2017 I asked Alamy how many of my sales Alamy had the ISBN nos for and whether they would make a claim for the "distinct royalty pot" and they replied as follows.

As we are not claiming DACS on your behalf this year we don’t know any of the ISBN numbers so we can’t tell you how many we would have claimed for but it is likely to have been the same if not more than you claimed for. It is a lot of extra work for us to  find out this information which is why we take a cut.

We did submit claims for the ‘distinct royalty pot’ for all contributors eligible and we claimed for all sales where we had the ISBN numbers.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

8 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Betty

It's declining because of the 2016(?) negotiation with the CLA, which insisted on a new process. Each year, an increasing precentage of the royalties depend on our images appearing in certain publications- see "publication history" amounts on your statement. You'll see the "payback" amount getting less and less each year as a consequence- mine is about 10% down on last year. Before the new deal it had been increasing a bit each year. I expect it to continue to decline.

You can follow this on the DACS site.

https://us2.campaign-archive.com/?u=600b33eca4ea478d329f1fa5f&id=9a59c8ea1a&e=372ae9aa7a

Edited by spacecadet

1 hour ago, M.Chapman said:

Yes it would be good to see this and would possibly help me decide if I should ask Alamy to claim for me in the future, especially with respect to their fees.

In 2017 I asked Alamy how many of my sales Alamy had the ISBN nos for and whether they would make a claim for the "distinct royalty pot" and they replied as follows.

As we are not claiming DACS on your behalf this year we don’t know any of the ISBN numbers so we can’t tell you how many we would have claimed for but it is likely to have been the same if not more than you claimed for. It is a lot of extra work for us to  find out this information which is why we take a cut.

We did submit claims for the ‘distinct royalty pot’ for all contributors eligible and we claimed for all sales where we had the ISBN numbers.

Mark

Fair enough. When they said it was too much work for them to collect ISBN numbers, I took that to apply across the board. If they provided a proper breakdown as they do for sales, instead of listing deductions as 0.00 (which is clearly inaccurate, as they say they take a commission and charge a fee) it would help to make things clearer.