DACS Payback 2019?

13 minutes ago, Steve Valentia said:

Update: Mine's just arrived. I wouldn't say up 30% (as with @spacecadet ) but definitely up; maybe 20%. Well into €€€, which was a nice surprise.

Up 30%, but it had declined 30% over the last couple of years, so back where it started, really!

41 minutes ago, SFL said:

@spacecadet

What do you mean by the 'German dividend'?

Sung

The payment from the VG Bild-Kunst. There was an email about it in May.

https://www.dacs.org.uk/latest-news/visual-works-published-in-germany-royalties?category=For+Artists&title=N

See my post here

pursuant to a CJEU ruling. Presumably if we leave the EU we will lose it.

I'm guessing because I haven't had the remittance advice yet.

Edited by spacecadet

32 minutes ago, regen said:

direct claim down on last year but still a 4 figure payout. 

Hiya. Would you consider making known the quantity of images that delivers that figure please? Just roughly. I'm struggling to understand how it works having raised my hopes of a descent amount.

4 minutes ago, Avpics said:

Hiya. Would you consider making known the quantity of images that delivers that figure please? Just roughly. I'm struggling to understand how it works having raised my hopes of a descent amount.

Not wishing to answer on Regen's behalf but to offer something from what I know. Getting a  4 figure claim means knowing lots of ISBN and ISSN data and getting lots of matches with the information DACS collects from licence holders. If like me you claim for Alamy sales then it is actually very hard to find this information.

If you have a long record of selling direct to publishers you will have a lot more of this information. Year after year more weight is given to ISS/ISBN matches as a percentage, but because there will be fewer images that qualify in this pool, and then only a small proportion will have matches, the payment per match will be relatively high. 

I0000UFdNj7YNG5Q.jpg

5 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Getting a  4 figure claim means knowing lots of ISBN and ISSN data and getting lots of matches with the information DACS collects from licence holders....

If you have a long record of selling direct to publishers you will have a lot more of this information.....

Not knowing any better I simply tore out pages from magazines as keepsakes and/or media applications, ranging from the mid-90s to date. Last year I took the decision to try to find the correct ISBN and ISSN data which was a huge project but I correctly claimed payback for over five hundred image uses, all direct. The amount I've received is well down on what I get nett from Alamy for far fewer images licensed via them. It could be down to the lower percentage for older images, but I have nothing else to compare it with. I've emailed DACS asking for a statement to help me understand.

Mine came through today and is better than last year.

Allan

Edit: Direct claim too.

ITMA

Edited by Allan Bell

1 hour ago, Avpics said:

Not knowing any better I simply tore out pages from magazines as keepsakes and/or media applications, ranging from the mid-90s to date. Last year I took the decision to try to find the correct ISBN and ISSN data which was a huge project but I correctly claimed payback for over five hundred image uses, all direct. The amount I've received is well down on what I get nett from Alamy for far fewer images licensed via them. It could be down to the lower percentage for older images, but I have nothing else to compare it with. I've emailed DACS asking for a statement to help me understand.

It could be that licence holders aren't copying those old books/magazines so you aren't getting any matches for them. Last year they sent a break-down of how much I earned from the matches and it was a tiny amount - I suppose I have only around 100 publications in my list but they are all fairly recent. Some are textbooks so I had expected better. 

I can't see that I would gain by letting Alamy claim for me because they won't give any specifics about what I would gain in return for 50% + undisclosed admin fee

Edited by geogphotos

3 hours ago, Avpics said:

over 20,000 published 1990-2010(own direct sales) -not bothered to update since then. Have Issn/isbn for about 15000 but only around 8000 actually figure on the list. DACS payment mainly from mags as about 300 book licences only yielded an extra couple of quid-I don't really understand the system either!

1 hour ago, regen said:

over 20,000.....

That's impressive, thank you for sharing. They've sent me a publication history list that shows around 80 images don't match, so I'm down to about 440 winners. I leave Alamy to claim on the licenses sold via them as I rarely find the publications in which they've been used, and it can only be into double figures, and yet they've returned a much larger payback. It has to be down to them being more recent.

8 hours ago, Avpics said:

Well that was a huge let down. I get more via Alamy for a fraction of the published images so I assume not all publishers are signed up to it? I'll wait to see a statement before enquiring about it.

Does this apply for editorial images? on the DACS site there is no mention. 

2 minutes ago, Penelope B said:

Does this apply for editorial images? on the DACS site there is no mention. 

I can't see that they'd differentiate between licenses. Published is published I'd have thought

Mine directly claimed last year was £156.97 (directly claimed). This year I sent the same form with the latest year's sales added (not so many qualifying sales in that year to be fair), but this year it's only £69.68 (also claimed directly). That's a shocking drop!

On 01/10/2019 at 00:25, losdemas said:

Google, as they say, is your friend! Anyhow, here you go: https://www.dacs.org.uk/for-artists/payback

On 29/09/2019 at 10:28, Steve Valentia said:

Design and Artists Copyright Collecting Society. It's a UK-based copyright collecting society, that gathers royalties - from books, magazines and library usage, etc, for visual artists like photographers, cartoonists and illustrators. 

Thank you for your answers, I am now remembering some time ago Alamy ask if I want to sign for their collecting of DACS. I was thinking it was a small slice of a small pie to share, but now I understand that for many of us is a interesting slice of pie. What I don't understand is if we, as artists, need to go out hunting for publications or they do for us.. I can't believe they match all our pictures (what the source is?), nor I can't believe that all our portfolios of thousands of pictures are submitted to match for residual incomes. How it work for you, that collects 3 digits royalties from that?

thank you for sharing your workflow.