1 hour ago, M.Chapman said:

Yes it would be good to see this and would possibly help me decide if I should ask Alamy to claim for me in the future, especially with respect to their fees.

In 2017 I asked Alamy how many of my sales Alamy had the ISBN nos for and whether they would make a claim for the "distinct royalty pot" and they replied as follows.

As we are not claiming DACS on your behalf this year we don’t know any of the ISBN numbers so we can’t tell you how many we would have claimed for but it is likely to have been the same if not more than you claimed for. It is a lot of extra work for us to  find out this information which is why we take a cut.

We did submit claims for the ‘distinct royalty pot’ for all contributors eligible and we claimed for all sales where we had the ISBN numbers.

Mark

Fair enough. When they said it was too much work for them to collect ISBN numbers, I took that to apply across the board. If they provided a proper breakdown as they do for sales, instead of listing deductions as 0.00 (which is clearly inaccurate, as they say they take a commission and charge a fee) it would help to make things clearer.

Thanks to all who have made this clearer to me.  I still would prefer a statement. 

25 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Thanks to all who have made this clearer to me.  I still would prefer a statement. 

My mistake- of course you don't get one from Alamy as you do if you claim direct.

I claimed for myself for a few years then let Alamy. I don’t remember getting a statement then, either. Maybe I need to clean the cobwebs from my brain. Of course, since I claimed for myself, I knew what was paid for.

I claim myself for everything except TV use which Alamy does for me. I got £280 direct this year, plus £52 from Alamy for the TV use. It all helps.

Marc

I let Alamy claim, and I received slightly less than last year, despite a large increase in eligible sales during 2018. Looking at how much some who claim directly received, I am a little concerned. I have written to DACs to ask if they can give any clues as to what, if anything, is not quite right. A breakdown from Alamy would certainly be a big help.

15 minutes ago, Cove Images said:

......despite a large increase in eligible sales during 2018. Looking at how much some who claim directly received, I am a little concerned. I have written to DACs.....

I let Alamy claim for all sales made through them, and I also claimed directly for the first time this year for images I've sold directly to books and magazines (over 500 as of 2018). In both cases I've been underwhelmed by the amounts returned, using my Alamy 2017 figure as a datum. I've hugely increased my portfolio and sales since then and have carried out an imaginary fist-pump each time I've seen a magazine, book and TV sale come in - all just to stand still. I've checked with DACS and have been assured that the direct figure is correct. Hell, it's money I didn't have in September and I just have to admit it's my fault for getting my hopes up.

14 minutes ago, Avpics said:

I let Alamy claim for all sales made through them, and I also claimed directly for the first time this year for images I've sold directly to books and magazines (over 500 as of 2018). In both cases I've been underwhelmed by the amounts returned, using my Alamy 2017 figure as a datum. I've hugely increased my portfolio and sales since then and have carried out an imaginary fist-pump each time I've seen a magazine, book and TV sale come in - all just to stand still. I've checked with DACS and have been assured that the direct figure is correct. Hell, it's money I didn't have in September and I just have to admit it's my fault for getting my hopes up.

Thank for the reply, it's helpful to know that you've found similar with both Alamy's claim and your own direct sales claim. I do wonder why some in this thread with fairly low numbers in their ports have managed quite a decent payout, but maybe there are other factors involved. Like you say, it's nice to have something at least, especially with Christmas approaching.

3 minutes ago, Cove Images said:

Thank for the reply, it's helpful to know that you've found similar with both Alamy's claim and your own direct sales claim. I do wonder why some in this thread with fairly low numbers in their ports have managed quite a decent payout, but maybe there are other factors involved. Like you say, it's nice to have something at least, especially with Christmas approaching.

See my post above on the increasing publication history percentage. For us, the only way is down, unfortunately.

Just now, spacecadet said:

See my post above on the increasing publication history percentage. For us, the only way is down, unfortunately.

Thanks for that. I noticed your previous comment when going through the thread earlier, and it does seem that it'll only get worse. I know not to look forward to DACs in future (I got myself a little too excited about the prospect of a decent payout this year!). I'm very happy with my sales numbers this year (if not the revenue) so that keeps me going.

3 minutes ago, Cove Images said:

Thanks for that. I noticed your previous comment when going through the thread earlier, and it does seem that it'll only get worse. I know not to look forward to DACs in future (I got myself a little too excited about the prospect of a decent payout this year!). I'm very happy with my sales numbers this year (if not the revenue) so that keeps me going.

It's still free money, I suppose.

For me, claiming direct, it's less than an hour's work over the year to collect the info needed so the hourly rate is still well worth it.

Another dollop of cash arrived today, presumably DACS, still down on last year but not by so much..... 

Just to clarify, I let Alamy do the work.

And to further clarify, this has appeared as DACS Further German payment.

Edited by Bryan