DACS Payback 2019?

I let Alamy claim, and I received slightly less than last year, despite a large increase in eligible sales during 2018. Looking at how much some who claim directly received, I am a little concerned. I have written to DACs to ask if they can give any clues as to what, if anything, is not quite right. A breakdown from Alamy would certainly be a big help.

15 minutes ago, Cove Images said:

......despite a large increase in eligible sales during 2018. Looking at how much some who claim directly received, I am a little concerned. I have written to DACs.....

I let Alamy claim for all sales made through them, and I also claimed directly for the first time this year for images I've sold directly to books and magazines (over 500 as of 2018). In both cases I've been underwhelmed by the amounts returned, using my Alamy 2017 figure as a datum. I've hugely increased my portfolio and sales since then and have carried out an imaginary fist-pump each time I've seen a magazine, book and TV sale come in - all just to stand still. I've checked with DACS and have been assured that the direct figure is correct. Hell, it's money I didn't have in September and I just have to admit it's my fault for getting my hopes up.

14 minutes ago, Avpics said:

I let Alamy claim for all sales made through them, and I also claimed directly for the first time this year for images I've sold directly to books and magazines (over 500 as of 2018). In both cases I've been underwhelmed by the amounts returned, using my Alamy 2017 figure as a datum. I've hugely increased my portfolio and sales since then and have carried out an imaginary fist-pump each time I've seen a magazine, book and TV sale come in - all just to stand still. I've checked with DACS and have been assured that the direct figure is correct. Hell, it's money I didn't have in September and I just have to admit it's my fault for getting my hopes up.

Thank for the reply, it's helpful to know that you've found similar with both Alamy's claim and your own direct sales claim. I do wonder why some in this thread with fairly low numbers in their ports have managed quite a decent payout, but maybe there are other factors involved. Like you say, it's nice to have something at least, especially with Christmas approaching.

3 minutes ago, Cove Images said:

Thank for the reply, it's helpful to know that you've found similar with both Alamy's claim and your own direct sales claim. I do wonder why some in this thread with fairly low numbers in their ports have managed quite a decent payout, but maybe there are other factors involved. Like you say, it's nice to have something at least, especially with Christmas approaching.

See my post above on the increasing publication history percentage. For us, the only way is down, unfortunately.

Just now, spacecadet said:

See my post above on the increasing publication history percentage. For us, the only way is down, unfortunately.

Thanks for that. I noticed your previous comment when going through the thread earlier, and it does seem that it'll only get worse. I know not to look forward to DACs in future (I got myself a little too excited about the prospect of a decent payout this year!). I'm very happy with my sales numbers this year (if not the revenue) so that keeps me going.

3 minutes ago, Cove Images said:

Thanks for that. I noticed your previous comment when going through the thread earlier, and it does seem that it'll only get worse. I know not to look forward to DACs in future (I got myself a little too excited about the prospect of a decent payout this year!). I'm very happy with my sales numbers this year (if not the revenue) so that keeps me going.

It's still free money, I suppose.

For me, claiming direct, it's less than an hour's work over the year to collect the info needed so the hourly rate is still well worth it.

Another dollop of cash arrived today, presumably DACS, still down on last year but not by so much..... 

Just to clarify, I let Alamy do the work.

And to further clarify, this has appeared as DACS Further German payment.

Edited by Bryan

• 2 months later...

BTW if you have to re-enter your bank details and you have a building society current account, use "bank" as "account type" otherwise it'll ask you for a roll number and you don't have one.

DAMHIK.

Edited by spacecadet

One reason I let Alamy do it for me has to do with that issue in the USA. I had to either let DACS take 20% (as I remember) or go through a long process with government forms and a fee of (as I remember) $80. I think I would have had to repeat this every three years (not sure about that). In the long run I guess it could have worked out in my favor since Alamy takes 50% and expenses (whatever they are) but I'm going the lazy route. I don't make $80 from DACS --- so far.

Paulette