DACS Payback 2019?

17 minutes ago, CandyAppleRed Images said:

Still nothing here and it has been pretty quick previously.

Getting a bit worried as we switched bank accounts in the year and may have forgotten to make the change on DACS.

DACS are pretty good if there are problems such as this. They hold back some money for 'emergencies'.

One year I filled in the main form then went off to do the ISBN/ISSN claim which I submitted. What I forgot was to submit the actual main claim.

So when everybody else was receiving their payment I got nothing. I waited and waited and then eventually contacted them to hear the bad news that they had only received a partial claim.

I don't think that I ended up with the full amount but I did get a payment and was more than happy with that outcome.

If it is as simple as a different bank account I'd think that you are going to be fine.

Edited by geogphotos

27 minutes ago, CandyAppleRed Images said:

Getting a bit worried as we switched bank accounts in the year and may have forgotten to make the change on DACS.

I did that one year, fixed with one quick phone call to DACS

• Like 1

I just checked and mine arrived last Friday via direct deposit to my bank here in New York. 

They were so helpful the first time I made a claim and even since then they always answer my emails quickly and are so friendly, flexible and helpful.  I'd give them a call about the bank account. 

On 07/10/2019 at 20:54, M.Chapman said:

I'm still waiting for mine (direct claim) to appear too. :(

Mark

As I've still not received my direct DACs claim payment I contacted them. They've have confirmed that payments are being processed in batches. So don't panic if you've not received yours yet. Phew! :)

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

Can someone on this thread explain how this works for the Alamy contributors? Do I have to sign up for something? I read info in the link that was shared here, but seems like it would be difficult for me to hunt down any existing publications to present as proof, so I'm interested in the non-direct route. Appreciate the help!

25 minutes ago, SvetlanaSF said:

Can someone on this thread explain how this works for the Alamy contributors? Do I have to sign up for something? I read info in the link that was shared here, but seems like it would be difficult for me to hunt down any existing publications to present as proof, so I'm interested in the non-direct route. Appreciate the help!

As I understand it, the default situation is that Alamy will claim on your behalf unless you tell them not to. 

I have tried claiming myself and allowing Alamy to do it for me. I found that I received more allowing Alamy to claim on my behalf, even though they take a cut. However the decision to do it yourself will depend upon your circumstances. I work exclusively through Alamy, if you are using other agencies or selling significant numbers directly, it would be probably be better to do it yourself. Further if you have good records of all of your sales e.g. the ISBN data for your book sales, you may well be better off going alone.

Reading these posts it appears that there are half measures, e.g. having Alamy claim your TV usage and claiming print usage yourself.

Edited by Bryan

After asking DACS I've just had a detailed breakdown of the categories, and the VG Bildkunst payment is nearly 30% of the total- I'm astounded. It's a one-off though, IIRC.

The rest is slowly declining- down about 10%, presumably as the publication matching takes its toll.

Incidentally I got a reply overnight.

13 hours ago, Bryan said:

As I understand it, the default situation is that Alamy will claim on your behalf unless you tell them not to. 

I have tried claiming myself and allowing Alamy to do it for me. I found that I received more allowing Alamy to claim on my behalf, even though they take a cut. However the decision to do it yourself will depend upon your circumstances. I work exclusively through Alamy, if you are using other agencies or selling significant numbers directly, it would be probably be better to do it yourself. Further if you have good records of all of your sales e.g. the ISBN data for your book sales, you may well be better off going alone.

Reading these posts it appears that there are half measures, e.g. having Alamy claim your TV usage and claiming print usage yourself.

Thanks for the explanation, Bryan! Do I need to do anything on my end to allow Alamy to claim it on my behalf? I don't recall receiving anything from them asking my permission, so I wonder if I need to initiate it.

I don't work with Alamy exclusively, and I don't know of an easy way to track the use in print, so I can't even imagine how I'd go about registering with DACS directly, if I have to provide the info on the use of my images first... Any ideas would be much appreciated! 

17 hours ago, Bryan said:

3 hours ago, SvetlanaSF said:

I don't recall receiving anything from them asking my permission, so I wonder if I need to initiate it.

The information about Alamy and DACS is all on the Alamy site.

https://www.alamy.com/contributor/faqs/most-frequently-asked-questions/?section=9

This part answers your specific question:

Q. I would like you to claim DACS payments from Alamy sales, how do I do this?
A. You don’t need to do anything. Unless you opted out for DACS Payback by the 30th July 2016 (see contributor contract clause 28 and 28.1) then we’ll automatically claim for all eligible licenses on your behalf.

Edited by geogphotos

2 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

The information about Alamy and DACS is all on the Alamy site.

https://www.alamy.com/contributor/faqs/most-frequently-asked-questions/?section=9

This part answers your specific question:

Q. I would like you to claim DACS payments from Alamy sales, how do I do this?
A. You don’t need to do anything. Unless you opted out for DACS Payback by the 30th July 2016 (see contributor contract clause 28 and 28.1) then we’ll automatically claim for all eligible licenses on your behalf.

Super helpful, thanks @geogphotos!

10 hours ago, SvetlanaSF said:

Thanks for the explanation, Bryan! Do I need to do anything on my end to allow Alamy to claim it on my behalf? I don't recall receiving anything from them asking my permission, so I wonder if I need to initiate it.

I don't work with Alamy exclusively, and I don't know of an easy way to track the use in print, so I can't even imagine how I'd go about registering with DACS directly, if I have to provide the info on the use of my images first... Any ideas would be much appreciated! 

I'm far from being the best person to answer your second question as I don't now claim directly, but this may help. 

You can download a listing of all of your Alamy sales including details of the destination country and the type of eventual use. You can edit this list to take out any that are not relevant and send the edited list to DACs. This won't give the detailed info on ISBN data but it is a starting point. A reverse image search using for example Google or Tineye might find the particular books that are involved. I've no idea how you would find TV usage, but as mentioned above you could hand that over to Alamy.

I guess that you are now too late to opt out of Alamy doing the work for you this year, as, if you have any money due, it should be coming your way very shortly. 

Edited by Bryan

24 minutes ago, Bryan said:

I'm far from being the best person to answer your second question as I don't now claim directly, but this may help. 

You can download a listing of all of your Alamy sales including details of the destination country and the type of eventual use. You can edit this list to take out any that are not relevant and send the edited list to DACs. This won't give the detailed info on ISBN data but it is a starting point. A reverse image search using for example Google or Tineye might find the particular books that are involved. I've no idea how you would find TV usage, but as mentioned above you could hand that over to Alamy.

I guess that you are now too late to opt out of Alamy doing the work for you this year, as, if you have any money due, it should be coming your way very shortly. 

That's a great advice! I can work on that before end of year, to claim direct for the 2020 sales then. Thanks a lot for the help, @Bryan

3 hours ago, SvetlanaSF said:

That's a great advice! I can work on that before end of year, to claim direct for the 2020 sales then. Thanks a lot for the help, @Bryan

You need to check out the DACS site if you want to claim direct.

1. You will not be able to claim for all sales in 2020 -only those upto the date specified by DACS

2. You can claim for all qualifying sales prior to that date regardless of when they were published. It does not matter which agency was used or wether you supplied direct.

10 hours ago, SvetlanaSF said:

@Colblimp, I saw that. But given that Bryan said "As I understand it", I'm looking to have that validated. Don't think it's that productive to copy/paste the answers that were already given. Actually, I find that rude.

You find copying and pasting rude?  Oh dear...

• Dislike 2

On ‎07‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 10:47, CandyAppleRed Images said:

Got my statement this morning but still no payment.

Rang DACS and Dan sorted me out - old, closed bank account as I thought. Just need to return the form he sent me and bingo.

What a numpty, but at least it's sorted!

On 10/10/2019 at 23:45, Colblimp said:

You find copying and pasting rude?  Oh dear...

We may have different upbringings. But yes, I find it rude to reiterate something that's been said, without adding anything new. It is pretty much the same as calling the person you are addressing an idiot for not being able to understand that from reading it once. Call me strange, but I don't do that to other people.

Now, how constructive was your trolling? It was not. So may I suggest we stick to the topic of the conversation? 

• Like 2
  • Dislike 4

On 14/10/2019 at 20:53, SvetlanaSF said:

We may have different upbringings. But yes, I find it rude to reiterate something that's been said, without adding anything new. It is pretty much the same as calling the person you are addressing an idiot for not being able to understand that from reading it once. Call me strange, but I don't do that to other people.

Now, how constructive was your trolling? It was not. So may I suggest we stick to the topic of the conversation? 

I'm not a troll, don't go there.  I'll let you have the last word, as no doubt you'll have something clever to say.  I'm off to take some pics...

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1