Style Captures

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

I imagine that most people who are into extreme stylings have an exhibitionist streak, so getting them to show off for the camera most likely wouldn't be a problem. Not sure I would want to approach a tattooed 300-pound biker, though. 😐

...but if she has a nice smile?

• Like 2

We seem to have drifted pretty far away from the original question. So ...

Ed, there are a couple of kinds of approaches that need to be considered. The first are images that are targeted at the people you're describing. There are a fair number of publications for the inked crowd. You can easily check them out at newsstands. Then there are the images that Ian was hinting at - photos made to record the trend for outsiders. There could also be a small market for commercial images of this crowd, but I would leave that to those who are concentrating on commercial work in the first place. 

It seems like lots of potential in either case.

• Like 1

Ok, I owe the thread a sensible answer...

Stealing from another thread, I'm not particularly drawn to this species but pictures of their habitat, are within my comfort zone and have had some mileage.  I'm talking about the more individual markets, pubs, cafes, etc. There are plenty of chaps with very hip beards around this part of the world; I'm encouraged to give it a go...

Edited by Mr Standfast
could be poor taste - sorry

3 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I imagine that most people who are into extreme stylings have an exhibitionist streak, so getting them to show off for the camera most likely wouldn't be a problem. Not sure I would want to approach a tattooed 300-pound biker, though. 😐

That’s falling very much into regarding inked/pierced people as stereotypes and probably best a line of thought best avoided.

1 hour ago, Mr Standfast said:

Ok, I owe the thread a sensible answer...

Stealing from another thread, I'm not particularly drawn to this species but pictures of their habitat, are within my comfort zone and have had some mileage.  I'm talking about the more individual markets, pubs, cafes, etc. There are plenty of chaps with very hip beards around this part of the world; I'm encouraged to give it a go...

The hipster "big beard" fad seems to have peaked in Vancouver. Most of them have now disappeared, except among young microbrewery owners (male) of course.

No plans to shave myself, though.

I guess it depends on what sort of photographer you regard yourself as... Everything changes, do you want to document and record the changes or keep your head and images in the past?

This is not meant as derogatory comment to anyone, although I did find some of the comments about the subject (as someone with “extreme colour” hair, piercings and tattoos) slightly derogatory/judgemental..

11 minutes ago, Julie Edwards said:

That’s falling very much into regarding inked/pierced people as stereotypes and probably best a line of thought best avoided.

That's no doubt true. However, I think it's reasonable to assume that most heavily inked/pierced people want to draw attention to themselves for one reason or another. That's fine with me. Fads come and go, and they need to be documented. Don't mean to sound judgmental.

Edited by John Mitchell

6 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

That's no doubt true. However, I think it's reasonable to assume that most heavily inked/pierced people want to draw attention to themselves for one reason or another. That's fine with me. Fads come and go, and they need to be documented. Don't mean to sound judgmental.

Some are hiding behind them.....

• Like 2

16 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Some of the nicest people you could meet.😃

Allan

• Love 1

18 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Not sure I would want to approach a tattooed 300-pound biker, though. 😐

Come on, you just need to break the ice with the offer of a nice cuppa.

DD

• Love 1

15 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Hmmm. I'm gonna let visual inspiration guide me.

I'm looking to widen my subject choices but I have a feeling I'll not be making this mod-style business into a niche. 

Thanks for your thoughts, people. 

Edo, as you know I'm not one for outward indications of non-conformity, but I do note that every now and again such examples are used in some of the more quirky advertising materials I see here--I'd therefore advise model releases . . . . just to add a tiny element of uncertainty :)

DD

1 hour ago, dustydingo said:

Edo, as you know I'm not one for outward indications of non-conformity, but I do note that every now and again such examples are used in some of the more quirky advertising materials I see here--I'd therefore advise model releases . . . . just to add a tiny element of uncertainty :)

DD

the issue is getting artist release for each work of art.

The Daily Mash news site has an interesting article on this subject. 

People without tattoos labelled ‘freaks’ and ‘attention seekers’

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/people-without-tattoos-labelled-freaks-and-attention-seekers-2013060771240?fbclid=IwAR0L8EArl91y9q0QCNbhcO5mAElhTfx6JFzzMYOeaUg1r9Eg-PEJTS78tDU

Edited by geogphotos

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

The Daily Mash news site has an interesting article on this subject. 

People without tattoos labelled ‘freaks’ and ‘attention seekers’

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/people-without-tattoos-labelled-freaks-and-attention-seekers-2013060771240?fbclid=IwAR0L8EArl91y9q0QCNbhcO5mAElhTfx6JFzzMYOeaUg1r9Eg-PEJTS78tDU

Busted! Now there really is nowhere to hide. Can anyone suggest a reliable tattoo parlour? :ph34r:

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Tattoo parlors are everywhere. In Seville, there were almost as many places doing tattoos as there were tapas bars. 

No shortage in Vancouver either.

rain-city-tattoo-parlor-on-broadway-stre

P.S. I waited ages for a well-inked person to walk out or into this place but eventually gave up. I plan to go back and try again sometime. Probably won't become a customer, though.

Edited by John Mitchell

I have a daughter and grandaughter, both increasingly well inked.  It's their choice - but I do wonder if they'll regret it in years to come as skin ages, sags and wrinkles. 

As for myself, my body is a temple and on it's facade you will find no tattoos or piercings.  I've never seen the attraction.

Inside?  Well the gods worshipped are Dionysus and Bacchus - though less frequently than in years gone by.