Style Captures

We have entered a period of extreme stylings. Not just tattoos and piercings. Many people I see, both male and female, are tattooed from top to toe. And it's common now to see a person of any age with a radical haircut and/or a wild, unnatural hair color. Ripped jeans with stiletto heels . . . and on and on and on. In Seville there were almost as many tattoo parlors as tapas bars. And now I'm in Beatles City. Remember when they caused a sensation with their "long" hair? 

Hey, I'm all for people presenting themselves any way they like. But should I be snapping pics of these folks? I could. I'm not shy about asking permission. But are buyers interested? I'm not the best shooter to get involved with this subject; I have no stylish friends. 

I'm wondering what others do. 

Edo

Earlier this year I spent an hour in a tattoo convention in Milton Keynes. Had no issues shooting, light wasn't great, all shot at iso 3200. No zooms or sales yet. Was interesting, although personally I'm anti tatoo, but that doesn't stop me shooting.

I remember seeing the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show when I was a kid. They were wearing suits and mouthing the lyrics as I remember. It all seems really tame now. My un-hip guess is that extreme styling is pretty much a niche market -- i.e. there probably isn't a lot of interest, or at least a fleeting one among photo buyers. I've zero evidence to back that opinion up, though.

There are hectares of tattooed skin to be seen in the hipper parts of Vancouver. I'm not a fan of extreme tats myself. Don't like the look of them and I wonder about the long-term health dangers of being covered in ink. I'm not big on purple hair or ripped designer jeans either. That said, as a child of the 60's and 70's, I looked a bit strange and hairy myself in my early 20's.

Edited by John Mitchell

My hunch is that these sort of subjects will have more demand in the future than the present day. ie) looking back at fashions and styles 

But that is just a hunch. I wish I had taken more ordinary routine pictures in the past but at the time they seemed boring - cars, clothes, technology, hairstyles, day to day stuff. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

My hunch is that these sort of subjects will have more demand in the future than the present day. ie) looking back at fashions and styles 

But that is just a hunch. I wish I had taken more ordinary routine pictures in the past but at the time they seemed boring - cars, clothes, technology, hairstyles, day to day stuff. 

That's a good point. Not long ago, I licensed an image of my first electronic calculator that I still have from the early 70's. Too bad I threw out out those hideous stripped bell-bottom trousers and tie-dyed tank tops. 

6 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

I wish I had taken more ordinary routine pictures in the past but at the time they seemed boring - cars, clothes, technology, hairstyles, day to day stuff. 

We wish.

My tiny late 70s b/w archive out-performs my main collection by an embarrassing margin. 10 or 20 to 1.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Imagine being a dermatologist and having to do a full body check.

Paulette

Yes, I imagine that extreme tattooing is a dermatologist's nightmare. And then there is this, which probably means that there will be more images of tattooed skin and piercings (Ouch!) used in medical articles, journals, etc. down the road. 

Edited by John Mitchell

18 hours ago, geogphotos said:

That's been my mantra in going through old files and dumping them on Alamy. As long as the image is of acceptable quality then anything of an area, place, person or object has gone on. They were of a time, which won't happen again this side of the parallel universe.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

But are buyers interested?

I have some pictures of people with tattoos on Alamy. I haven't been a fan myself but over time I've come around a bit. If for no other reason than they give me something interesting and potentially sales worthy to photograph as per John's stated point:

17 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

And then there is this, which probably means that there will be more images of tattooed skin and piercings (Ouch!) used in medical articles, journals, etc. down the road

A quick search of AoA using the term &tattoo% shows 45 pages of searches in the last year with around 31 sales. Like them or not I'd have to say that they're probably worth shooting if you're so inclined.

Wouldn't it be necessary to obtain a model and a property release for these images?

Model release obviously from the model, and property release from the tattooist.

Allan

• Like 1

It reminds me of the GREAT BRA STRAP DEBATE.

When Madonna started to wear her underwear on the outside, some pioneering fashionistas started to show their bra straps.

Editors at some stock photo agencies refused to accept images, otherwise normal, but showing bra straps. However 2 years later bra straps were on those same agencies want lists.

Today I see older women and men with tattoos in the most amazing places. Tattoo time has come, and may have peaked.

Photographer friend of mine did a photo story on people who had surgically altered their naughty bits, not just breasts and bums. Altered in order to make their naughty bits more interesting.

Surgically altered naughty bits, and not just breasts and bums, next big trend. You heard it here. Get out the model releases.

• Love 1

Great thinking Bill, I'll get on it!

I do actually have FGM on file but don't up load it and wouldn't sell them to anyone .In Africa both females and males have had their bits below nipped and snipped to various degrees according to tribal custome. They are regarded as traditions but that's indefensible, especially what is done to young girls. I do hope we don't head in that direction with modern notions of cosmetic alteration.

Edited by Robert M Estall

5 minutes ago, John Walker said:

I can just imagine what these heavily tattoo'd bodies will look like when the 'wearers' are in their 80s and 90s ......    😝

John, I do see some of the tattooed ones that are in their 80s. 

But, gang -- this post is about capturing those with tattoos, piercings, hairstyles, hair colors, stressed clothing, and stiletto heels . . . regardless of your feelings. 

Edo

• Like 1