Live News - really?!

These sort of images have always been passed off as Live news from time to time, I haven't seen the images but they are no different to those depicting "Britain bakes in the heatwave" with generic beach shots? 

Bumper week of visitors to Zoo as kids holidays are hit by wet weather?

Strawberries sales plummet as wet August continues?

Perhaps this is why Alamy removed access to so many of us?

• Love 1

Certainly a lot of weather shots - lots of animals too...

Interesting to me was the sheep in Germany being used to keep the landscape in shape. They do the same thing here in New York in a state park by the Hudson River where they use goats and sheep to keep the long grasses in shape. It saves the gasoline and cost of lawn mowers and helps the local farmers. Yes we have farms within about 1/2 hour from midtown Manhattan. 

I used to upload those types of photos to live news and found a fair number sold, though usually later on. 

I think there are enough UK newspapers who do those "shots of the day" and probably rely on the Alamy news feed for these quirky types of photos. Wish that they were streaming them to US newspapers who look for the same. 

Edited by Marianne

3 hours ago, Steve Tucker said:

These sort of images have always been passed off as Live news from time to time, I haven't seen the images but they are no different to those depicting "Britain bakes in the heatwave" with generic beach shots? 

Bumper week of visitors to Zoo as kids holidays are hit by wet weather?

Weather pics are genuine live news - even Alamy itself advises shooting weather as those types of photos are always in demand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colblimp said:

Weather pics are genuine live news - even Alamy itself advises shooting weather as those types of photos are always in demand.

I liked today's school leaving pictures especially the kid with the beard!

3 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

I liked today's school leaving pictures especially the kid with the beard!

Thanks - the beard in question is magnificent in real life!  I photographed him skateboarding when he was a little kid - he's certainly grown up!

One I've just noticed - "Butterflies in Belarus". 

Ironically, there is a chance they actually are almost newsworthy, as they are Painted Lady butterflies that will have migrated from Africa, and that is a story every year.

Shame, therefore, that there is no mention of migration in the caption - or even the species of butterfly.

How do these get through???

21 minutes ago, Phil Robinson said:

One I've just noticed - "Butterflies in Belarus". 

Ironically, there is a chance they actually are almost newsworthy, as they are Painted Lady butterflies that will have migrated from Africa, and that is a story every year.

Shame, therefore, that there is no mention of migration in the caption - or even the species of butterfly.

How do these get through???

Now you've got me thinking - Giraffes in Guildford? Tigers in Taunton? Snakes in Skegness? Etc...

Edited by Colblimp

On 13/08/2019 at 18:04, Steve Tucker said:

Also it gets you past QC with a lower image quality and gets it up for sale quicker

Not worth doing, as it will penalise you as far as Live News is concerned, and you risk that your privileges are removed (ie you can no longer submit to LN)

Edited by BidC

Whenever I look at the live news feed there are always examples of stock being passed off as live news, nothing changes. Just now 16  photos of Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore Michigan, USA via ZUMA Wire. I often wonder if abusers do ever lose their live news upload rights.

2 minutes ago, sb photos said:

Whenever I look at the live news feed there are always examples of stock being passed off as live news, nothing changes. Just now 16  photos of Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore Michigan, USA via ZUMA Wire. I often wonder if abusers do ever lose their live news upload rights.

Would agree,

I look at Live News every time I log in and I often wonder "Who is editing these images?"

I have contributed to Alamy "Live News" since it started and I can count the number of

images from a Live News submission I've done that were more than ten images on

my fingers.

I would also suggest that Alamy let some of the contributing agencies know that they are

responsible for editing and selecting "Their News images."

Chuck

• Like 2

interesting from someone who has tried to do a few submission with prior approval, i felt so stressed of meeting the rules.  Quite a few are not in line with the caption rules, and the Chinese wedding states the Live News is 3 days old (looks like something that should be reportage to me)...

and Android logo on google background?

but i have to jump through hoops to get Anti corruption protest...  

Sometimes (when in a cynical mood) I think of Alamy Live News as Light News.

But Andy and Chuck and others work hard at it and do a good job. I don't do Live News myself. The only thing that bothers me here in the forum is people talking about shooting Stock when in fact they are shooting Live News. That has to be confusing to newbies.

Edo