Live News - really?!

2 hours ago, Colblimp said:

Another gem has reared its ugly head in this occasional series of 'Live News, really?!' thread.  Images have appeared this morning of various company logos displayed on a smartphone.  Staggering how these pics are classed as live news...

Could it be related to this? https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-51245616

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Colblimp said:

Another gem has reared its ugly head in this occasional series of 'Live News, really?!' thread.  Images have appeared this morning of various company logos displayed on a smartphone.  Staggering how these pics are classed as live news...

looks like they took them off.

loving all the current images of people with masks and claiming it's coronavirus related, even if these people wore the same mask way before the outbreak.   need to roam the street of Mexico for one.  

• Like 1

It would have been far better to just apply account bans on users who abuse live news rules.  As it stands I wonder if there is a reduction in total image uploads as not everyone will put in request to upload to the feed. Does anyone have figures since this system was introduced?

It seems a bit like sledge hammers and walnuts.. 

However I have only been a contributor for what seems comparable to a nano second compared with some of you...

Edited by R De Marigny
Contextual
  • Love 1

Funny, most of the complaints are being written from contributors who are "new" to Alamy?

I've contributed to Alamy's Live News since it started and have always had good dealings with

the Alamy staff concerning covering events and people.  I will admit that I can not understand

how an average automobile accident or house fire qualifies as Live News? 

Chuck

3 minutes ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Funny, most of the complaints are being written from contributors who are "new" to Alamy?

I've contributed to Alamy's Live News since it started and have always had good dealings with

the Alamy staff concerning covering events and people.  I will admit that I can not understand

how an average automobile accident or house fire qualifies as Live News? 

Chuck

so they open up the contribution for you as soon as you contact them?

9 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

I will admit that I can not understand how an average automobile accident or house fire qualifies as Live News? 

Chuck

Admittedly, these are not ‘hard news’, but then neither are eg ducks in a pond, weather pictures etc etc but they fill newspapers (in the UK at least - I have no idea about papers elsewhere) so do qualify as live news.

• Love 2

Picking up the point from Sally, i live in Ireland with a total population half that of London and also very rural. The English nationals may not pick up on what to some would look mundane but over here may be more important, the Irish publications of those English newspapers probhably will pick up that story.

8 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

And your point is?

Chuck

trying to understand why they reply to you and open Live news faster than " contributors who are "new" to Alamy?"  so that your veteran experience can help us get to this level

Edited by meanderingemu

2 hours ago, Sally said:

Admittedly, these are not ‘hard news’, but then neither are eg ducks in a pond, weather pictures etc etc but they fill newspapers (in the UK at least - I have no idea about papers elsewhere) so do qualify as live news.

in fact if you look at Alamy News own twitter pushed images, some i feel would hardly qualify as news...  

as for weather, it seems Alamy has made an editorial decision that it was generally only UK for basic weather image, and extreme for elsewhere. 

3 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

trying to understand why they reply to you and open Live news faster than " contributors who are "new" to Alamy?"  so that your veteran experience can help us get to this level

The easy way is to have spent over five years in University studying journalism and do news magazine photojournalism for over

three decades.

There are a few things about Alamy in general that I am not happy with, but after over 15 years of contributing to Alamy and having worked with and for some of the large photo agencies and a couple of libraries around the world, I can say that I am happy that Alamy exists and would like to see Alamy continue well into the future. 

PS  I never wrote or said "Hard News."  In my opinion there is a difference between "Hard News" and Alamy "Live News."

Chuck

1 hour ago, Chuck Nacke said:

In my opinion there is a difference between "Hard News" and Alamy "Live News."

If the newspapers only printed "Hard News" they'd be very thin. I can appreciate that some feel hard done by in not being able to upload to the news feed and maybe rightly so, but 'soft' news makes up a huge proportion of published pages so does have its place on Alamy. Obviously there is a line below which it becomes dross, but there's plenty of room above it for skateboarding dogs and the like.

• Love 2

9 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

Since I was solicited for my opinion? 

I would define a "Hard News" photo as an image from the scene of a School shooting.  Unfortunately something that happens too often in the U.S.

I would define a subject appropriate for  Alamy Live News ( or what would be better stated as "Feature News" for any publication, library or

photo agency ) as an Exclusive Portrait of a current or previous Nobel Laureate. 

I would assume that Alamy Live News could handle both of the above, but Alamy Live News would not currently be my first choice for

licensing major current breaking Hard News images.

A list of images that would fall in to these categories is too long to go in to here, but I think this makes the point. 

The two examples above I used because I have both of them on Alamy, both occurred over a decade ago, both have been licensed many times

and continue to be licensed often in 2019 / 20.  The first listed above was submitted to Alamy as a straight stock submission and one frame 

from the second was submitted recently as archival, but another frame from this session, a magazine assignment, has been licensed many times

by another library that I have contributed to.

While I do understand that publications do have a use for weather photos, I do not do them unless there is something

really unusual or "Epic" involved. 

I do not photograph or submit anything to Live News unless I feel that there is a long-term demand to publish or license it worldwide.

It is also very important that the people submitting images to any agency or library have a good understanding of what qualifies as

"NEWS."  For example I have National Public Radio (U.S. equivalent of BBC) on every minute in my office and watch CNN often throughout

the day and check the BBC, Deutsche Welle and China Daily often.

The above is just my opinion, I do not speak for anyone but myself.

Chuck

Edited by Chuck Nacke
English

6 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

The easy way is to have spent over five years in University studying journalism and do news magazine photojournalism for over

three decades.

There are a few things about Alamy in general that I am not happy with, but after over 15 years of contributing to Alamy and having worked with and for some of the large photo agencies and a couple of libraries around the world, I can say that I am happy that Alamy exists and would like to see Alamy continue well into the future. 

PS  I never wrote or said "Hard News."  In my opinion there is a difference between "Hard News" and Alamy "Live News."

Chuck

sorry, but it still doesn't address your comment.  The newcommer as you refer to them complained that Alamy did not answer his message.  What does  years of University have to do with that?

1 hour ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Since I was solicited for my opinion? 

I would define a "Hard News" photo as an image from the scene of a School shooting.  Unfortunately something that happens too often in the U.S.

I would define a subject appropriate for  Alamy Live News ( or what would be better stated as "Feature News" for any publication, library or

photo agency ) as an Exclusive Portrait of a current or previous Nobel Laureate. 

I would assume that Alamy Live News could handle both of the above, but Alamy Live News would not currently be my first choice for

licensing major current breaking Hard News images.

A list of images that would fall in to these categories is too long to go in to here, but I think this makes the point. 

The two examples above I used because I have both of them on Alamy, both occurred over a decade ago, both have been licensed many times

and continue to be licensed often in 2019 / 20.  The first listed above was submitted to Alamy as a straight stock submission and one frame 

from the second was submitted recently as archival, but another frame from this session, a magazine assignment, has been licensed many times

by another library that I have contributed to.

While I do understand that publications do have a use for weather photos, I do not do them unless there is something

really unusual or "Epic" involved. 

I do not photograph or submit anything to Live News unless I feel that there is a long-term demand to publish or license it worldwide.

It is also very important that the people submitting images to any agency or library have a good understanding of what qualifies as

"NEWS."  For example I have National Public Radio (U.S. equivalent of BBC) on every minute in my office and watch CNN often throughout

the day and check the BBC, Deutsche Welle and China Daily often.

The above is just my opinion, I do not speak for anyone but myself.

Chuck

not worth my time

Edited by meanderingemu
  • Dislike 1

56 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

not worth my time

I have been very polite responding to your question (s)

Your response (s) have not been well written nor polite.

This would normally be where I write as I have so many times

over the years about "the door...."

Hope you have a good weekend.

Chuck

• Love 2

On 20/08/2019 at 06:15, Starsphinx said:

What I get from this thread is that the content of the Live News feed has not changed in quality or subject matter,  while the majority of contributors, many of whom did use it specifically and carefully the way the rules suggested, have been excluded from contributing.

So if the intent was to pat a select few on the head and make them special it is a huge success.  If the intent was to improve the quality a total fail.

I agree Starsphinx, I contributed to Alamy Live News for a couple years and followed all the rules I even got something published in The Times and The Sunday Times Pictures of the Day and they still sent me an email excluding me from Live News but allowing me to upload to Reportage. I never quite understood why really as I was not uploading photos of strawberries.

• Love 2
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Valery Rizzo said:

I agree Starsphinx, I contributed to Alamy Live News for a couple years and followed all the rules I even got something published in The Times and The Sunday Times Pictures of the Day and they still sent me an email excluding me from Live News but allowing me to upload to Reportage. I never quite understood why really as I was not uploading photos of strawberries.

Same here.

On 27/01/2020 at 11:14, meanderingemu said:

looks like they took them off.

loving all the current images of people with masks and claiming it's coronavirus related, even if these people wore the same mask way before the outbreak.   need to roam the street of Mexico for one.  

what do i know, one got licenced....

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/0/coronavirus-global-emergency-pictures/tourist-wears-face-mask-horse-guards-parade-london-confirmed/

30 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

The first person I saw wearing a mask was exiting Vauxhall tube yesterday afternoon while on my way back from the US Embassy, and I'd just bagged my cameras. Saw 4 more later, would only have photographed them against an obvious London background if there had been confirmed cases in London. Was expecting more.

Edited by sb photos
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

loving all the current images of people with masks and claiming it's coronavirus related....

what do i know, one got licenced....

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/0/coronavirus-global-emergency-pictures/tourist-wears-face-mask-horse-guards-parade-london-confirmed/

I don't have Chuck's years of working in the trade, nor have I any training or qualifications in photography, but I've forty years experience of reading newspapers and watching TV and am aware that is how they illustrate such a story. It would be wrong to claim that the wearer is trying to avoid the coronavirus unless the photographer has asked them such as that would be untruthful, but you can dangle enough carrots to link the two for the picture editor to bite

34 minutes ago, Avpics said:

I don't have Chuck's years of working in the trade, nor have I any training or qualifications in photography, but I've forty years experience of reading newspapers and watching TV and am aware that is how they illustrate such a story. It would be wrong to claim that the wearer is trying to avoid the coronavirus unless the photographer has asked them such as that would be untruthful, but you can dangle enough carrots to link the two for the picture editor to bite

i understand that, it's just to me an interesting side of Live News... Image to illustrate Live News, not necessarily Live News itself.  i assumed that's what the Stock side of Alamy was for.  

On 31/01/2020 at 23:59, Chuck Nacke said:

I will admit that I can not understand how an average automobile accident or house fire qualifies as Live News? 

Chuck

I have on occasion posted accidents and fires, The only reason is that it gives my local papers and TV sites the option to pick and choose the images they wish to use as well as saves me the hassles of haggling a price and invoicing them. I'll only post if I know they're liable to use as it's a big enough local story.

• Like 1