Live News - really?!

8 hours ago, Sally said:

I think it depends. Thee were composite images of wreaths on New Town doors at Christmas, for example.

Hi Sally, yes I've got no doubt that it will sell, but I always thought it would fall foul of the "edited to change the reality" rules, and therefor unacceptable to reporting and live news? Apparently not I suppose is the answer.

9 hours ago, Sultanpepa said:

Hi Sally, yes I've got no doubt that it will sell, but I always thought it would fall foul of the "edited to change the reality" rules, and therefor unacceptable to reporting and live news? Apparently not I suppose is the answer.

I guess editing to change the reality (eg removing an object from an image) is different from the creative work of a composite image for which the editing is transparent.

• Love 1

3 hours ago, Sally said:

I guess editing to change the reality (eg removing an object from an image) is different from the creative work of a composite image for which the editing is transparent.

Good to know. 👍

21 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

You really don't get it or me for that matter.  I lived in Moscow for ten years

and snow in early February, unless it is truly catastrophic, is not NEWS.  And I was joking anyway.

Chuck

Just to be clear, my response was to Meanderingemu concerning snowing in Moscow, RU, not about the generalities of "what makes a Live News Photo."

actually you are replying to Alamy News, who I quoted, and who promotes these images on their Twitter feed.

Live News, As per Alamy Live News

Edited by meanderingemu

• 1 month later...

Thanks for that Matt Ashmore. One of my pics you’ve chosen. As a press photographer currently isolating, as one should, I’m restricted at the moment to home, garden and local streets. Papers are still looking for amusing images in these troubling times. I’m glad it made you laugh. Several I’ve shot like it have made the dailies in the last few days. Looks like I have the last laugh Matt!

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Matt Ashmore said:

This made me laugh... The world is falling apart but this is 'Live News' .. apparently! 

London, UK. 8th April 2020. Feral pigeon in front of antique bellows camera in a suburban garden. Credit: Malcolm Park/Alamy Live News. Stock Photo

Great photo though! It cheered me up!

🙂

2 hours ago, Malcolm Park said:

Thanks for that Matt Ashmore. One of my pics you’ve chosen. As a press photographer currently isolating, as one should, I’m restricted at the moment to home, garden and local streets. Papers are still looking for amusing images in these troubling times. I’m glad it made you laugh. Several I’ve shot like it have made the dailies in the last few days. Looks like I have the last laugh Matt!

this seems to be a weird image to pick in the current mess that is Live News, as Animals and fun stories do seem to have a certain place in UK media. @Malcolm Park i thought the Squirrel set was great

i find much worse some of the Agencies uploading 11 images of computers with a news conference of President Trump  (i can understand the set up for Bernie's abdication since it was how he told his follower)2BD8PBH.jpg

Edited by meanderingemu

2 hours ago, Malcolm Park said:

Pleased to hear they're selling for you! Alamy also tweeted this image I noticed. Now if only I had access to Live News! 🙂

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, meanderingemu said:

tweet from Live News themselves, encouraging these types of reporting 

I've seen these tweets too and like the images. These could arguably just be from the normal stock archive but I guess the fact that they were sent to Live News gives some providence that they are recent shots.

Even after all this time, I still find it a little annoying that I (and a lot of us) cannot submit this kind of 'news' shot  ...the best that I can do is submit it via the reportage route... which does not get it immediately in front of picture editors at publications and also sells at a lower price.

Edited by Matt Ashmore
  • Like 4

Can this image uploaded today (noted as being from 2017) be live news?, and, more importantly, does it get automatically pinged to news desks and pee off picture editors?
Do all live news images get pinged to news desks?
There are more from 'Newscom' as live news with images taken of mundane things, even from 2010!

Photo taken on Nov. 5, 2017, shows pan-fried "gyoza" dumplings (L) and boiled dumplings served at Utsunomiya-Minmin, a gyoza restaurant in Utsunomiya, Tochigi Prefecture, north of Tokyo. (Kyodo)==Kyodo Photo via Credit: Newscom/Alamy Live News Stock Photo

Photo taken on Nov. 5, 2017, shows pan-fried "gyoza" dumplings (L) and boiled dumplings served at Utsunomiya-Minmin, a gyoza restaurant in Utsunomiya, Tochigi Prefecture, north of Tokyo. (Kyodo)==Kyodo Photo via Credit: Newscom/Alamy Live News 

- Image ID: 2BGXHKB

Edited by mickfly
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

No

So, are they chosen by a real person (I realise it may be different at the moment due to the virus problem)?
There are also some NASA images still on the feed from yesterday which aren't captioned or headlined properly, so I wondered if there wasn't anyone at home?

Maybe the Live News Feed should be renamed the Live Newspaper Feed. 

The photos on there are aimed at today's and tomorrow's newspapers. Anyone who's ever looked through a newspaper knows not all the pics are hard hitting current affairs. They have humorous pics of people, cute images of furry animals and garden birds, the Telegraph 'Pictures Of The Day' and weather - whether or not it looks like any other sunny/snowy day in history..

If it's something that a newspaper might want to use, for whatever reason, it's legitimate.

Having said that, of course, I still agree that not everything on there is.

23 minutes ago, mickfly said:

So, are they chosen by a real person (I realise it may be different at the moment due to the virus problem)?
There are also some NASA images still on the feed from yesterday which aren't captioned or headlined properly, so I wondered if there wasn't anyone at home?

There is an Alamy Live News team who decide what gets sent out.  I have always found them to be expert in the field of what sells.  only a percentage that appears in the live news feed gets “pushed” out.

31 minutes ago, Phil Robinson said:

Maybe the Live News Feed should be renamed the Live Newspaper Feed. 

The photos on there are aimed at today's and tomorrow's newspapers. Anyone who's ever looked through a newspaper knows not all the pics are hard hitting current affairs. They have humorous pics of people, cute images of furry animals and garden birds, the Telegraph 'Pictures Of The Day' and weather - whether or not it looks like any other sunny/snowy day in history..

If it's something that a newspaper might want to use, for whatever reason, it's legitimate.

Having said that, of course, I still agree that not everything on there is.

As Phil states it is almost impossible to say what will be used by the newspapers etc.  Just go through any print or online newspaper and look at the photographs.  There is also a sales team who I believe send out IQ pictures that they believe may be of interest to clients.  While most sales are “pull” from publishers there is also a lot of “push” from Alamy

i normally “push” selected news pictures I have taken with appropriate tagging and hash tags via social media on the chance they may get picked up and to build my news photography reputation (such as it is).

• Love 2

4 hours ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

Several people

They won't get sent if they aren't relevant and they will get tidied up at some point

thanks.  it's obvious they are working in much tougher circumstances currently, i assume this means less priority on the tidying up, especially at non UK peak times.   

Being kicked off the Live News feed still rankles with me.

I never uploaded boatloads of images. On one occasion I was asked if I could supply additional live  news shots of a particular event, so I don't think I was overloading the system. Sure not many of my of my sales have been the result of live news, although some were,  but there have been subsequent sales of those images (including one yesterday) and, in any event, I rarely used the live news route. 

I was once sent a message stating that one of my submissions did not qualify as live news, in that instance I felt it was an unfair judgement, the image was only possible for a brief period for a specific event, and has been impossible to take since. I wonder if this resulted in my being banned from the news feed? 

Now I don't bother to take advantage of any local newsworthy events. Having studied the photos used in the UK papers for several  years I have a pretty good idea what makes live news, and feel that I could make the occasional valid contribution, but there is no way that I will be writing a grovelling message to Alamy asking to be reinstated.

• Love 4
  • Like 2