Live News - really?!

What I get from this thread is that the content of the Live News feed has not changed in quality or subject matter,  while the majority of contributors, many of whom did use it specifically and carefully the way the rules suggested, have been excluded from contributing.

So if the intent was to pat a select few on the head and make them special it is a huge success.  If the intent was to improve the quality a total fail.

• Love 1
  • Like 7

20 hours ago, DJ Myford said:

Alamy gives agencies a free pass on pretty much everything: individual contributors are treated as second-class citizens in that respect.

You've hit the nail on the head.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 19/08/2019 at 20:49, BidC said:

Not worth doing, as it will penalise you s far as Live News is concerned, and you risk that your privileges are removed (ie you can no longer submit to LN)

Sorry late response, I agree to do it deliberately to avoid QC is not worth it, but it is fact nevertheless.

• Like 1

On 20/08/2019 at 05:56, Chuck Nacke said:

I would also suggest that Alamy let some of the contributing agencies know that they are

responsible for editing and selecting "Their News images."

Chuck

Yes, they probably should. Do the contributing agencies care? Nope. Do Alamy care? Not sure. I suspect these tons of images, particular those from the Chinese agencies,  often pretty shots and fitting Alamy's 'stock and a bit of soft news weather decorative prettiness on the side' concept down to the tee. Taken in via news to further bolster stock numbers, nothing else. Just my view.

I do miss Live News access. Recently dropped into two events, Triathlon and Kite Flying, where the images could have been immediately uploaded. Instead the images of the cycling part of the event were uploaded afterwards, and the kite flyers are still waiting to be processed and uploaded.

Krisken

13 hours ago, Krisken said:

I do miss Live News access. Recently dropped into two events, Triathlon and Kite Flying, where the images could have been immediately uploaded. Instead the images of the cycling part of the event were uploaded afterwards, and the kite flyers are still waiting to be processed and uploaded.

Krisken

I read many people have contacted Alamy and asked for Live News access if they feel particular event they are attending would be worth filing .... 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

If it is a composite then it has no place on the live news feed

I don't see how you could have the phone and hand in such deep shadow (silhouette even) but have the Team View logo on the display of the phone as it is. Surely ambient light from the screen would light up the hand and phone if the Team View logo was actually on the phone screeen.

1 hour ago, meanderingemu said:

but isn't that the role of the photographer in live news?

Go and look at the business pages in the newspapers that have covered similar 'stories' and tell me how many similar images you see. From experience i know that images such as this one do get used to illustrate news relating to what a 'company' is doing etc. 

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Pearl said:

For those of us now denied live news uploads this is particularly sickening.  My few images may never have sold as live news but at least I stuck to the rules.

Pearl

This is exactly my point.  99.9% of contributors stick to the rules - this is taking the p!$$

• Love 1

52 minutes ago, Lynchpics said:

Go and look at the business pages in the newspapers that have covered similar 'stories' and tell me how many similar images you see. From experience i know that images such as this one do get used to illustrate news relating to what a 'company' is doing etc. 

How many time purchased from Live News?  Why would you pay extra for Live News when it's already on the Stock side?

8 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

How many time purchased from Live News?  Why would you pay extra for Live News when it's already on the Stock side?

Can't talk about or name agency but it no longer exists. They were used because the pic desks saw the images and picked them, as you say they could have used a stock image but perhaps the fresh new image was better for them. 

Edited by Lynchpics
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

is this "live" news

https://www.alamy.com/news/#BHM=foo%3Dbar%26qt%3D%26pn%3D1%26ps%3D120%26aoa%3D1%26news%3D%26sports%3D%26entmt%3D%26Videos%3D%26bb%3D1%26md%3DOL9324873%26dt%3D%26gid%3D{E6C0CCAA-65FF-4F6E-B6DF-45B2078ED15C}%26destxml%3D%26imglst%3D%26orderby%3DDT%26newsseq%3D%26userid%3D{8083FECD-3680-4216-B1FC-2E5B1033261B}%26rand%3D1573808486025

these are all old image, related to a newish (expected if you follow baseball) News event.  

EDIT: Looks like news desk answered my question, as it seems these were taken off (there was no reason they shouldn't have been loaded to regular collection as "news" event was announced weeks ago)

Edited by meanderingemu

On 22/09/2019 at 18:24, Krisken said:

Krisken

That's my position too. Some good images not being uploaded because of no live news access. I normally wait and send as reportage. No sales so far down that route.

12 minutes ago, Sultanpepa said:

That's my position too. Some good images not being uploaded because of no live news access. I normally wait and send as reportage. No sales so far down that route.

I agree with you, but I have had sales via reportage, latest image WGY90R zoomed and used a few days after it was shot, sale came through a few days ago. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Another gem has reared its ugly head in this occasional series of 'Live News, really?!' thread.  Images have appeared this morning of various company logos displayed on a smartphone.  Staggering how these pics are classed as live news...