Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

 

 

3 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Being picky I know but generally they are called a flat over here.

 

Allan

 

 

 

 

26 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

 

I lived in Oxfordshire for 7 years. I speak both forms of English.

 

Reminds me of that scene in The Blues Brothers movie (also called a film for Allan 😁) where the proprietor of the country bar says something alomg the lines of "We have both types of music here - country and western" or words to that effect. 

 

Allan - he is in Ireland not England. They will have no problem understanding the word apartment in Galway - they speak both types of English there as well as several other languages 😂. In fact Irish English tends to be more Americanised (Americanized) than English English I find. We say things like gotten and pants (for trousers). Best of luck with the operation - sounds like a hernia?

 

Edo I suggest you do what Andy says above and get the PPS number. You will need it for everything.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by MDM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

 

Edo I know how you feel re mood shifts. I am in that situation at the moment and cannot move forward with planning the move I have to make due to holdups with processing my lady friends Will taking much longer than thought. This is putting pressure on me as I am time limited as to how long I can remain in the house where I am. No I do not want to go into rented accommodation till it is sorted.

 

Also I am not looking forward to a hospital appointment next week where I am going to have a minor procedure done under general anaesthetic. This is also going to put me back for a good three to four weeks as I will not be able to drive or lift heavy weights during that period.

 

I sincerely hope you can be settled soon.

 

 

Being picky I know but generally they are called a flat over here.

 

Allan

 

 

 

I'm not really annoyed by Allan's 'correction.' He's under a lot of pressure, as am I. Good luck, Allan. 

 

Michael, and Andy 1 and 2, and all, I went to the Department of Social Protection this morning with my Irish passport and applied for my PPS Number. They opened my case and told me some things to get and bring back to them. Their office is across the street from the hotel I'll be moving to on Thursday next. This is a government agency so they will be doing things by the book. But . . . I have the feeling that when I get all the steps done this whole thing will work out. Two Nigerian taxi drivers assured me that indeed things will work out for me. Poco a poco. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bravo Michael, Andy1 and Andy2!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NYCat said:

 

Allan, I am so sorry to hear that you are struggling. Unless I misunderstand, you are the executor for the will of a friend who has died. I did that for my best friend when he died of AIDS and it was enormously painful. On top of the grief there is interminable business with lawyers. I also had to sell his apartment and put the money in trust for his partner's children. His partner had died also of AIDS. This was a very long time ago and I came through it with a lot of sorrow but, believe me, the struggling does end. There are very dark periods in most lives I think. You are such a nice man I must believe that there are other people who love you and would be most happy to have you reach out for help. Support groups can be very helpful and most of our friends are only too glad to help. It makes people feel good to be of use.

 

Paulette

 

Thank you for your words of wisdom Paulette. I am sorry you had to experience a similar situation. Yes there are some family and friends about who are willing to help but they cannot help when it comes down to the legal system and its foibles and that is the problem, apart from next weeks operation. One of my stepdaughters is driving over to take me to the hospital in Ely, which is 30 minutes drive from where I live. When I am done with at the hospital she is coming to pick me up and take me back to her house for a day or two while I get over some of the after effects of General anaesthesia.

 

Allan

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MDM said:

 

Allan Best of luck with the operation - sounds like a hernia?

 

 

 

 

YUP!

 

Allan

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

 

I'm not really annoyed by Allan's 'correction.' He's under a lot of pressure, as am I. Good luck, Allan. 

 

 

I am pleased I did not annoy you Edo. It wasn't meant as a "correction" just an observation.

 

Allan

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

 

 

YUP!

 

Allan

 

 

That was my diagnosis also, 😁 

Dear Allan, Dear Edo, May both of your trials and troubles be resolved soon. There is always light at the end of that trite tunnel, I’ve found. You just have to wade through the detritus at the bottom first, and hope your not wading through the sewer where the light is coming from a manhole.

 

Allan, enjoy the pre-op meds, when all of your troubles melt away for a bit. I remember after a procedure the nurse told my family to try to wake me, since my breathing wasn’t good while so deep under. There I was, all snuggled down in a pre-warmed blanket loving my nap, with family shaking my foot over and over to wake me. I never wanted so much to kick someone in the teeth.

Restrain yourself.

Betty

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

No house sharing, John. I need a small private apartment. 

 

I don't blame you. I rented an apartment in Montreal once with a shared bathroom. Would never do it again.

 

My parents were both British, but my father was brought up mainly in NYC. Consequently, my mother said "flat", but my father preferred "apartment". Nevertheless, they had a happy marriage. When I moved from Montreal, where I had lived in "apartments", to Vancouver, I was surprised to learn that they are usually called "suites" here. Sometimes you just can't win.

Edited by John Mitchell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

That was my diagnosis also, 😁 

Dear Allan, Dear Edo, May both of your trials and troubles be resolved soon. There is always light at the end of that trite tunnel, I’ve found. You just have to wade through the detritus at the bottom first, and hope your not wading through the sewer where the light is coming from a manhole.

 

Allan, enjoy the pre-op meds, when all of your troubles melt away for a bit. I remember after a procedure the nurse told my family to try to wake me, since my breathing wasn’t good while so deep under. There I was, all snuggled down in a pre-warmed blanket loving my nap, with family shaking my foot over and over to wake me. I never wanted so much to kick someone in the teeth.

Restrain yourself.

Betty

 

Thank you Betty. you have a knack of making things seem better somehow.🙂

 

Allan

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

 

Thank you for your words of wisdom Paulette. I am sorry you had to experience a similar situation. Yes there are some family and friends about who are willing to help but they cannot help when it comes down to the legal system and its foibles and that is the problem, apart from next weeks operation. One of my stepdaughters is driving over to take me to the hospital in Ely, which is 30 minutes drive from where I live. When I am done with at the hospital she is coming to pick me up and take me back to her house for a day or two while I get over some of the after effects of General anaesthesia.

 

Allan

 

 

 

I wouldn't worry about the after-effects of general anesthesia. The drugs used nowadays are greatly improved. They usually include an anti-nausea component as well. You'll probably feel perfectly fine after coming to. Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sending hugs to you both Allan and Edo.

Allan, I was nervous about general anesthesia for some minor surgery I had last month and, other than sleeping for most of the next 24 hours, came through it all fine. But we worriers worry, don't we? So sending you an extra hug. Hope all your stuff gets sorted soon. Just think of how much better things will be in a few months when this is all behind you. So sorry for your loss, too. Having to move on top of it all seems so unfair. My husband and I actually want to move and our realtor assures us we will have no issues selling our house, but it is still so hard to get myself motivated to sort through the stuff we've accumulated in 21 years of living here. I think of myself as an adventurous person, yet I realize that it is so much easier o stay curled up on the couch I know with my laptop than to get out and move to a new town. You two guys are much braver than I am (Betty too with your recent move). You are all an inspiration to me 🌈

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Marianne said:

Sending hugs to you both Allan and Edo.

Allan, I was nervous about general anesthesia for some minor surgery I had last month and, other than sleeping for most of the next 24 hours, came through it all fine. But we worriers worry, don't we? So sending you an extra hug. Hope all your stuff gets sorted soon. Just think of how much better things will be in a few months when this is all behind you. So sorry for your loss, too. Having to move on top of it all seems so unfair. My husband and I actually want to move and our realtor assures us we will have no issues selling our house, but it is still so hard to get myself motivated to sort through the stuff we've accumulated in 21 years of living here. I think of myself as an adventurous person, yet I realize that it is so much easier o stay curled up on the couch I know with my laptop than to get out and move to a new town. You two guys are much braver than I am (Betty too with your recent move). You are all an inspiration to me 🌈

 

Thanks for the hugs Marianne. In a strange way they seem to help. Thanks also for the information about GA.

 

17 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

 

I wouldn't worry about the after-effects of general anesthesia. The drugs used nowadays are greatly improved. They usually include an anti-nausea component as well. You'll probably feel perfectly fine after coming to. Good luck.

 

Thanks for the information John it makes me feel better about having GA.

 

Allan

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, MDM said:

 

Allan - he is in Ireland not England. They will have no problem understanding the word apartment in Galway - they speak both types of English there as well as several other languages 😂. In fact Irish English tends to be more Americanised (Americanized) than English English I find. We say things like gotten and pants (for trousers). Best of luck with the operation - sounds like a hernia?

 

 

Perhaps the Americanisms were originally taken there by the Irish emigrants? Just a thought.

 

Thank you for the luck. You can't beat a bit of Irish luck.

 

Allan

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know why we call them pants, don’t you? On a hot summer day, long trousers cause you to “pant”. 🤣😁 (not)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

You know why we call them pants, don’t you? On a hot summer day, long trousers cause you to “pant”. 🤣😁 (not)

Hence the old Cornish cold winter day saying . "I can't wait to get  into  your  pants".

Edited by Shergar
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

 

Thanks for the hugs Marianne. In a strange way they seem to help. Thanks also for the information about GA.

 

 

Thanks for the information John it makes me feel better about having GA.

 

Allan

 

 

GA is a piece of cake these days. You'll be jogging out of the recovery room  -- well, maybe not quite jogging... 😏

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve had seven surgeries, breezed through them. That included appendix, knee and shoulder.The docs usually gave me 24-30 pain pills and I’d take one or two that first post-op day, then no more. Easy. 

My move in 2018 was a nightmare because of my circumstances, but it’s in the rear-view mirror. A year from now, you two, Edo and Allan, will be saying the same. I will say though, the older we get, the more vulnerable we feel. We just have to pedal harder.

Betty

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Shergar said:

Hence the old Cornish cold winter day saying . "I can't wait to get  into  your  pants".

😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope by now Edo you have found somewhere suitable to live in Ireland, Allan lots of luck with your surgery I hope all goes well for you with this and the other stuff you are having to deal with. Virtual hugs to you both.

 

Carol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, Carol.

 

I've found nothing even at inflated prices. Very frustrating and scary. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Thanks, Carol.

 

I've found nothing even at inflated prices. Very frustrating and scary. 

Oh, that's not good.  Galway is an expensive place to rent, would you think about changing location?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe something on the outskirts that has good bus service. There has to be something for you in Ireland, Edo.

 

Paulette

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, NYCat said:

Maybe something on the outskirts that has good bus service. There has to be something for you in Ireland, Edo.

 

Paulette

 

 

Even if only as a starting point to get established. Especially as over-66 any resident qualifies for free travel pass on public transport, incl;uding cross-border with Northern Ireland (with some conditions).

 

Edited by Martin P Wilson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If a nice little central flat isn't coming up (which isn't too surprising) I would have thought a well-found central house=share would be a better second option. Living out in the sticks is no way to get to know a place and make contacts. As long as you get a good amount of your own space. There are so many ways it saves money. Smoothing into a good-deal well placed  flat isn't easy anywhere, but getting a good-un is a life-changer. I got lucky back a good few years, hope you get there soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Colblimp said:

Oh, that's not good.  Galway is an expensive place to rent, would you think about changing location?

 

Also, I imagine that a lot of centrally located apartments have been put on short-term rental sites like Airbnb where the owners can make a bundle.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.