23 hours ago, Robert M Estall said:

Galway being a university town, there may be accommodation going spare at least for the summer break. I rented in London for ten years after a dire stretch of sofa-surfing. When I finally lucked into a cheap but suitable flat deal it was life-changing. When I finally got on the housing ladder, I never looked back but I count myself very lucky!, That was funded by commissioned travel and stock photography which would be really hard to-day

Galway is also probably number 1 summer tourist destination in Ireland with numerous festivals as well so when the students leave for the summer the spaces are certain to be filled fast. Major festivals and events include the Galway Races (one of the biggest horse racing events in Ireland),  the Galway Arts Festival and the Galway International Oyster Festival. There are loads more as well. 

You're right, of course, Michael. But since I've had no luck finding a  rental here in Sligo, I've decided to try the larger, more attractive Galway City. Do I have confidence that everything will work out there? I do not. I've been a homeless nomad for 14 months now. I'm not on a photo shoot and I'm not on holiday. And I've not been able to find a place to settle. The only good news I have is that my bronchitis has begun to get better. 

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

You're right, of course, Michael. But since I've had no luck finding a  rental here in Sligo, I've decided to try the larger, more attractive Galway City. Do I have confidence that everything will work out there? I do not. I've been a homeless nomad for 14 months now. I'm not on a photo shoot and I'm not on holiday. And I've not been able to find a place to settle. The only good news I have is that my bronchitis has begun to get better. 

That is great news Edo.

Allan

Maybe you will be lucky and find something that you can afford close to the city centre. You might find it easier to get something a bit out of town but you said you wanted to be central and avoid having to use buses. I do wish you lots of luck there anyway Edo. Galway is a great little city to live in - it's got everything (apart from the weather). I would move there in a flash myself if I could afford it.

I looks as if shortages of rental housing is becoming a widespread problem. Vancouver's vacancy rate is essentially zero, and rents are ridiculously high. Toronto is just as bad, plus I've read that Montreal is now going the same way. Unfortunately, the popularity of outfits like Airbnb have added to the problem, at least they have here in  Vancouver. The city is finally putting some restrictions on short-term rentals as 1000's of suites have been taken off the market by people hoping to make a fast buck. I'd say hotels are partially to blame as well. They often charge so much these days that people have no choice but to look for cheaper alternatives. I guess if you applied for subsidized or seniors' housing in Ireland it would be a long process as you are a newcomer, and you would still need a place in the interim.

Thanks, John -- that list I had not come across before. 

I'm sorry, all, for my mood shifts. They come every 15 minutes or so. I curse a lot, but then I'm alone in this hotel room watching bad movies or soccer. (I like neither.) 

Not only will I have to find a flat in Galway City. I have to convince whomever to rent it to an odd case like me. 

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy. I remember how terrible it was to look for a new apartment in NYC. I'm sure you know what I mean, Edo. The Village Voice was the place to look for the inexpensive places and for some reason it came out first in Brooklyn Heights so I would make my way down there from the Upper West Side to get the paper right off the presses. Then the race began. That was decades ago and now I guess you go online to StreetEasy but then the numbers of people to compete with would be huge. And, of course, we have our strange online lottery to try to get a place in a new building that is required to rent to a certain number of low or moderate income people. It happens online but you can find yourself number 746th in line for consideration. Sorry to not be more upbeat. I'll be quiet now in my apartment that I dearly love. So lucky to have it. I hope luck is with you in Galway. It sounds like a wonderful place to live.

Paulette

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, NYCat said:

I hope luck is with you in Galway. It sounds like a wonderful place to live.

It is a great place to live apart from the weather (which is the same all over the Atlantic coast of Ireland, not just Galway). It couldn't be more different from New York where you get extremes of heat in the summer and cold in the winter. In Atlantic Ireland, the average temperature range is relatively small although you do get freeze ups in winter and heatwaves in summer but they tend to be much less extreme than New York and similar places in NE USA. It is the influence of the Gulf Stream or North Atlantic Circulation that keeps north-western Europe a lot more temperate than similar latitudes in North America. Nowhere is perfect for sure. 

42 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I'm sorry, all, for my mood shifts. They come every 15 minutes or so. I curse a lot, but then I'm alone in this hotel room watching bad movies or soccer. (I like neither.) 

Not only will I have to find a flat in Galway City. I have to convince whomever to rent it to an odd case like me. 

Edo you are an absolutely amazing guy to do what you are doing in your 80s after what happened to you last year. Anyone doing what you have had to do and are doing is bound to get down about it - that is absolutely normal and expected. Keep the head up man! We are all wishing you the best and willing you on.  When you get the flat I hope we get to the house warming 😀.

• Like 1

• Ed Rooney changed the title to Galway, Ireland?

People wonder why it's so hard for me to get anything done. To put it simply, I'm a square peg trying to fit into a round hole and there are no real answers. But let me tell you about my three visits to pharmacies in Ireland. The first one (in Dublin or Sligo?) said they can give me a month's emergency supply of all or any of my meds, no problem. (People here say 'no problem' a lot.) In Galway, the second pharmacy had me fill out a form and gave me just 5 days supply of two meds. The third said they could give me nothing, that I would have to get a prescription from my doctor. My doctor? Who is that? I wonder what the next place will say? Yes, speaking English is a joy, even when I can't get the answers I want. 

Today I dressed for the cold and possible rain and was happy that I did so. My down jacket under a hooded raincoat.

There was an 18 mph wind blowing and it did rain a little twice. When the sun came out, briefly, I felt overdressed. Many of the local boyos were in tee shirts. ???

I’m with you. I’d have been bundled up, too. Many a time with a wind chill of 40F, I’ve walked into the supermarket in jeans and coat while someone nearby wore shorts, a tee and flip-flops. Brrrrr. Takes all kinds.

Good luck. I’d say first order of business would be to find a doctor, but one usually doesn’t do that until they settle in one spot. 

Which is first, the chicken or the egg?

If Ireland has walk-in clinics like those in Canada, you should be able to get a doctor at one of those to give you prescription renewals.

But you probably know this already being the seasoned nomad that you are...

Hope things work out in Galway.

Hi Edo sorry to here about your troubles. Things to do in order, first get your PPS number, then register with a GP (your nearest health clinic)they will tell you what bits of paper you need to register, then apply for a medical card. If your eligible and you should be that entitles you to health care virtualy free. Your drugs if they are classed as for certain conditions (ie diabetic) are free, there is a list.

Hope that helps a bit.

Andy 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

On 13/06/2019 at 20:35, Ed Rooney said:

Thanks, John -- that list I had not come across before. 

Edo I know how you feel re mood shifts. I am in that situation at the moment and cannot move forward with planning the move I have to make due to holdups with processing my lady friends Will taking much longer than thought. This is putting pressure on me as I am time limited as to how long I can remain in the house where I am. No I do not want to go into rented accommodation till it is sorted.

Also I am not looking forward to a hospital appointment next week where I am going to have a minor procedure done under general anaesthetic. This is also going to put me back for a good three to four weeks as I will not be able to drive or lift heavy weights during that period.

I sincerely hope you can be settled soon.

3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

No house sharing, John. I need a small private apartment. 

Being picky I know but generally they are called a flat over here.

Allan

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Edo I know how you feel re mood shifts. I am in that situation at the moment and cannot move forward with planning the move I have to make due to holdups with processing my lady friends Will taking much longer than thought. This is putting pressure on me as I am time limited as to how long I can remain in the house where I am. No I do not want to go into rented accommodation till it is sorted.

Also I am not looking forward to a hospital appointment next week where I am going to have a minor procedure done under general anaesthetic. This is also going to put me back for a good three to four weeks as I will not be able to drive or lift heavy weights during that period.

Allan

I lived in Oxfordshire for 7 years. I speak both forms of English.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

Allan, I am so sorry to hear that you are struggling. Unless I misunderstand, you are the executor for the will of a friend who has died. I did that for my best friend when he died of AIDS and it was enormously painful. On top of the grief there is interminable business with lawyers. I also had to sell his apartment and put the money in trust for his partner's children. His partner had died also of AIDS. This was a very long time ago and I came through it with a lot of sorrow but, believe me, the struggling does end. There are very dark periods in most lives I think. You are such a nice man I must believe that there are other people who love you and would be most happy to have you reach out for help. Support groups can be very helpful and most of our friends are only too glad to help. It makes people feel good to be of use.

Paulette