18 hours ago, Colblimp said:

Would it be prudent to stay and look a little longer?  Take a look at this, there are cheaper options out there:

https://www.daft.ie/cork/apartments-for-rent/skibbereen/north-st-skibbereen-cork-1937934/

Why in the heck would it say “no texts or emails?” Yet offers internet.

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Actually, I've been watching the Women's World Cup and enjoying it. 😎

Edo the chief cheerleader for the USA girls 😀.  I have to admit I have not watched any of it and to be honest I don't think I could name any of the players. Not that I am in any way sexist about women's football but I spend too much watching the men and I'm kinda footballed out after a long season.

Liverpool is a football crazy city in case you don't already know that. I do like Liverpool. Scousers (Liverpudlians) compete with Geordies (Newcastle natives) for the friendliest people in England I think. 

Edited by MDM

1 hour ago, MDM said:

Edo the chief cheerleader for the USA girls 😀.  I have to admit I have not watched any of it and to be honest I don't think I could name any of the players. Not that I am in any way sexist about women's football but I spend too much watching the men and I'm kinda footballed out after a long season.

Liverpool is a football crazy city in case you don't already know that. I do like Liverpool. Scousers (Liverpudlians) compete with Geordies (Newcastle natives) for the friendliest people in England I think. 

I gather that. When you Google "Liverpool", what comes up is the football club, not the city.

I like soccer, but I think that the game would be much more exciting if the field/pitch were half as long as it is now. But then, I also prefer to watch short people play basketball. 🙃

5 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

It means the landlord doesn't want to be contacted by text or email - phone only.

5 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

... plus a "digital tenancy agreement". It does seem a bit incongruous not to accept electronic communication, but I guess the owner is expecting a deluge of inquiries, which I suppose speaks well of Skib.

2 hours ago, Colblimp said:

It means the landlord doesn't want to be contacted by text or email - phone only.

Ohhh, I thought it meant you could use the internet but not send or receive texts and emails! Silly me. 

You must pardon me. I just fell off the turnip truck. 😊

• Like 1

6 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I gather that. When you Google "Liverpool", what comes up is the football club, not the city.

I like soccer, but I think that the game would be much more exciting if the field/pitch were half as long as it is now. But then, I also prefer to watch short people play basketball. 🙃

Yes definitely. As well as the Beatles and Liverpool FC, the city is also famous for the Grand National horse race. I have never seen any of them live unfortunately. 

Not a good idea to halve the size of the pitch as it would leave no room for the skillful ones who make it worth watching. A lot of matches do get played in one half of the pitch for tactical reasons when you get a skillful team playing a less skillful one who pack the defence to prevent the good ones scoring but that is incredibly boring. 

You can take a leisurely ride on a boat to Liverpool rather than the hell of some cheap airlines. Its a long time since I visited, but Jane and her pal recently spent a few nights doing the rounds of galleries and came away with reports of friendly encounters and good deals on a few nights in hotels. Hope that goes for flat rentals although a little boost from someone with local knowledge could be a great help. Any Scouser forum members with helpful practical suggestions?

29 minutes ago, Robert M Estall said:

You can take a leisurely ride on a boat to Liverpool rather than the hell of some cheap airlines. Its a long time since I visited, but Jane and her pal recently spent a few nights doing the rounds of galleries and came away with reports of friendly encounters and good deals on a few nights in hotels. Hope that goes for flat rentals although a little boost from someone with local knowledge could be a great help. Any Scouser forum members with helpful practical suggestions?

I think there is only one company running ferries from Dublin direct to Liverpool nowadays and, looking at their website,  I don't think they cater for foot passengers. It takes 8 hours as well. Most sea travellers would use Dublin-Holyhead and get a train or coach if a foot passenger.

The plane journey is less than an hour and much cheaper by Ryanair on many flights than by ferry. The speed of the journey would more than compensate for the minor discomfort of a cramped seat on a plane. From Galway there are express buses to Dublin Airport as well and not expensive. 

My son-in-law and grandson are visiting from Ohio (Daughter is at a Bachelorette Weekend - a Hen party I believe you Brits call it) and we are going through all the family ancestry research my s-i-l did to see if we and my daughter can get EU passports (with grandson asleep in his lap). We knew my husband had ancestors were from Ireland but we didn't know where - looks like it was Sligo. Small world. Sorry it didn't work out there for you Edo. Would have been nice to be near the forum folks -  I thought Colin said the busses were good there. Gotta be so hard living out of a suitcase all this time when you don't have a place to go home to.

Best of luck with your house search Edo - hope things finally work out.

And Alan - hope the surgery goes well. 

Edited by Marianne

23 minutes ago, Marianne said:

My son-in-law and grandson are visiting from Ohio (Daughter is at a Bachelorette Weekend - a Hen party I believe you Brits call it) and we are going through all the family ancestry research my s-i-l did to see if we and my daughter can get EU passports (with grandson asleep in his lap). We knew my husband had ancestors were from Ireland but we didn't know where - looks like it was Sligo. Small world. Sorry it didn't work out there for you Edo. Would have been nice to be near the forum folks -  I thought Colin said the busses were good there. Gotta be so hard living out of a suitcase all this time when you don't have a place to go home to.

Best of luck with your house search Edo - hope things finally work out.

Batchelorette??!! Good grief. Almost as bad as the origins of ‘Bluestocking’. 

41 minutes ago, Sally said:

Batchelorette??!! Good grief. Almost as bad as the origins of ‘Bluestocking’. 

LOL yes we women seem to keep springing from Adam's rib. Counterintuitive since we are the ones to bear children - jealousy on the part of those codifying the language perhaps? My best guess. 

On 28/06/2019 at 11:05, MDM said:

I think there is only one company running ferries from Dublin direct to Liverpool nowadays and, looking at their website,  I don't think they cater for foot passengers. It takes 8 hours as well. Most sea travellers would use Dublin-Holyhead and get a train or coach if a foot passenger.

The plane journey is less than an hour and much cheaper by Ryanair on many flights than by ferry. The speed of the journey would more than compensate for the minor discomfort of a cramped seat on a plane. From Galway there are express buses to Dublin Airport as well and not expensive. 

What , no foot passengers? Gosh that takes me back to the days of crossing over to France as a back-packer. We were greatly encouraged to go via Folkestone on a horrid little steamer while the cars made the journey by much bigger and better ferries. We, of course, wanted to get on the car ferry in hopes of spotting some driver on his own who might accommodate us on the first leg of our journey south. As MDM points out, the only ferry service Dublin/Liverpool goes by way of Isle of Man which makes a nonsense of the notion. Pity, I really like getting to places by ferries. I used to cross from upper New York State to Kingston using not one but two ferries with a little drive across Wolfe Island at the mouth of the St Lawrence which I considered a bonus. Just felt right to me but I did get some looks. At least in Liverpool there are still ferries on offer which I'm sure Edo will put to good use as viewpoints.

4 hours ago, Robert M Estall said:

What , no foot passengers? Gosh that takes me back to the days of crossing over to France as a back-packer. We were greatly encouraged to go via Folkestone on a horrid little steamer while the cars made the journey by much bigger and better ferries. We, of course, wanted to get on the car ferry in hopes of spotting some driver on his own who might accommodate us on the first leg of our journey south. As MDM points out, the only ferry service Dublin/Liverpool goes by way of Isle of Man which makes a nonsense of the notion. Pity, I really like getting to places by ferries. I used to cross from upper New York State to Kingston using not one but two ferries with a little drive across Wolfe Island at the mouth of the St Lawrence which I considered a bonus. Just felt right to me but I did get some looks. At least in Liverpool there are still ferries on offer which I'm sure Edo will put to good use as viewpoints.

Robert - I didn't mention the Isle of Man 😀. I was talking about the P&O ferry which is direct between Liverpool and Dublin but is geared mainly towards freight I think. They do take cars as well but there is no option on their website for foot passengers which led me to assume that they don't take them. I guess some freight companies find it more efficient to ship directly in and out of Liverpool saving the drive across north Wales to Holyhead which is generally very fast since they duelled the A55 some years ago. It used to be a nightmare, especially across Anglesey. It may become so again but that is another story.

I enjoy a nice ferry trip myself if I can stretch out in a cabin. My favourite ferry is the Pont-Aven between Portsmouth/Plymouth and Santander in Spain. Great French food and it was reasonably priced when I last did it back in 2012. Must do it again one of these years. 

On 28/06/2019 at 20:18, Marianne said:

Yes it did thank you Marianne. I was in theatre for about an hour. Now a week later and a vast improvement already but told to take it easy with no driving for three weeks and no heavy lifting for six weeks. Don't know what they mean by heavy though.

Allan

• Love 1

1 minute ago, Allan Bell said:

Yes it did thank you Marianne. I was in theatre for about an hour. Now a week later and a vast improvement already but told to take it easy with no driving for three weeks and no heavy lifting for six weeks. Don't know what they mean by heavy though.

Allan

You can lift a coffee or teacup, and a grocery bag very lightly packed. Couple of pounds at most.  That’s about it. No 10 lb sacks of potatoes, no moving furniture around, no lifting moving boxes with your belongings inside...etc. You can cook, but don’t lift that large pot full of water that takes two hands. Very easy to blow out that repair if you do. You don’t want that.

They should have given you better guidance.

Happy it went well, Allan.

Betty

1 minute ago, Betty LaRue said:

You can lift a coffee or teacup, and a grocery bag very lightly packed. Couple of pounds at most.  That’s about it. No 10 lb sacks of potatoes, no moving furniture around, no lifting moving boxes with your belongings inside...etc. You can cook, but don’t lift that large pot full of water that takes two hands. Very easy to blow out that repair if you do. You don’t want that.

They should have given you better guidance.

Happy it went well, Allan.

Betty

Thanks Betty.

Hope things are improving for you too.

Allan

12 minutes ago, KevinS said:

Full frame DSLR with big lens for wildlife at twilight. 🏋️‍♂️

I've already sussed that one out. For a while it is only going to be my Sony RX100 mk3.

Allan

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

I've already sussed that one out. For a while it is only going to be my Sony RX100 mk3.

Allan

Picked up one of these cameras recently. Really liking it so 6D goes with me less and less!

• Love 1