Allan, I drink one beer a day, sometimes a pint, often a half. Or two glasses of wine. I drink coffee, water from the tap, wine and beer. Nothing else. 21 drinks a week is considered not good. I have 7. Tea makes me cough. If a doctor told me to stop drinking what I drink, I would find a new doctor. 

Edo

13 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Allan, I drink one beer a day, sometimes a pint, often a half. Or two glasses of wine. I drink coffee, water from the tap, wine and beer. Nothing else. 21 drinks a week is considered not good. I have 7. Tea makes me cough. If a doctor told me to stop drinking what I drink, I would find a new doctor. 

Edo

I had a medical check up recently, with a similar alcohol consumption as you - the nurse practitioner suggested that I dilute my wine with water, not sure that's going to happen any time soon!

On 09/06/2019 at 03:19, Ed Rooney said:

This is not a pretty city like Seville. But I knew that. I'll let it be a challenge to me. 

I live in a not particularly pretty town of 50,000 in Nicaragua.  I can always visit pretty.  Here I can buy everything I need in walking distance and can have appliances dou'veelivered.  Doctors, vet, dentist, grocery stores, municipal market all close.  Being able to walk to stores and services beats pretty but need a car or more money.  

Sligo has trains every two hours to Dublin, so pretty can be a day trip.

32 minutes ago, Bryan said:

I had a medical check up recently, with a similar alcohol consumption as you - the nurse practitioner suggested that I dilute my wine with water, not sure that's going to happen any time soon!

A famous man from Nazareth tried that a couple of thousand years ago, and look what happened to him. 😉

I like beer. However, I don't drink much of it, maybe two bottles or pints per week. With the proliferation of "craft" and "artisan" beers, the stuff has become quite expensive in Vancouver. I have a weakness for Mexican beers, having spent a lot of time in the country. They too can be pricey due to import costs. Fortunately, President T. has backpedaled on his Mexico tariffs, so I suppose I'm safe until he has his next tantrum. Don't know if you can find Dos Equis or Negra Modelo in Sligo, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are available.

Edited by John Mitchell

11 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

A famous man from Nazareth tried that a couple of thousand years ago, and look what happened to him. 😉

I like beer. However, I don't drink much of it, maybe two bottles or pints per week. With the proliferation of "craft" and "artisan" beers, the stuff has become quite expensive in Vancouver. I have a weakness for Mexican beers, having spent a lot of time in the country. They too can be pricey due to import costs. Fortunately, President T. has backpedaled on his Mexico tariffs, so I suppose I'm safe until he has his next tantrum. Don't know if you can find Dos Equis or Negra Modelo in Sligo, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are available.

Me too, John. But it has to be the Dos Equis Amber. As far as I'm concerned beer is food. Not meaning that I have it as often as I have food!

Paulette

10 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Me too, John. But it has to be the Dos Equis Amber. As far as I'm concerned beer is food. Not meaning that I have it as often as I have food!

Paulette

I always go for the XX Ambar as well. It's one of the best IMO.

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

I always go for the XX Ambar as well. It's one of the best IMO.

Negra Modelo is better. I have spoken.

I'll be moving to Galway in a few days, an all-day train trip, back to Dublin and then to Galway. Why? No comment. 

13 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Negra Modelo is better. I have spoken.

I'll be moving to Galway in a few days, an all-day train trip, back to Dublin and then to Galway. Why? No comment. 

I prefer Negra Modelo when I'm in an especially dark mood. Good luck in Galway. Too bad you can't get there directly, but luckily Ireland is a relatively small country.

Edited by John Mitchell

1 hour ago, MizBrown said:

What's between Sligo and Dublin or is that an express train?

Sligo to Dublin takes about 3 hours with lots of stops. In Dublin, I have to change trains for another 3 hours to Galway. Is it okay for a senior male in Ireland to cry? 

12 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Sligo to Dublin takes about 3 hours with lots of stops. In Dublin, I have to change trains for another 3 hours to Galway. Is it okay for a senior male in Ireland to cry? 

What's the bus service like to Galway? Perhaps there's a more direct route.

P.S. You've probably seen this bus timetable.

Edited by John Mitchell

38 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I did . . . a few minutes ago. The bus it will be. Understand that I just made this decision to try Galway. 

Sometimes last-minute decisions are the best ones. The bus sounds like the easiest way to go. There definitely looks to be more going on in Galway...

Edited by John Mitchell

Good luck Edo. Galway is a really lively city and would be my first choice of a place to live in Ireland but rents are likely to be high as discussed at the beginning of this thread.

Good luck Edo

Galway is a university town and so is likely to have a lot more happening. Perhaps you will be able to make it the Irish Aberystwyth from a photography point of view ;)

An Irish colleague who went to university in Galway would have been happy to go back to live, but for the rain!

Martin

Edited by Martin P Wilson

15 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Sorry. I don't understand.

If anyone stops drinking beer they save money on each pint - don't they?

Allan

Edo good luck with your new venture. Whatever you decide I am sure you will be happy in the end.

All the best and keep up with the beers.🙂

Allan

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

If anyone stops drinking beer they save money on each pint - don't they?

Allan

Like beer and wine, soft drinks, coffee, and tea are not free. If I stop eating and sleep in a park I'll save money too.

We had prohibition in America. It provided organized crime with a financial base. 

I walked to the bus station this morning and got my Saturday ticket to Galway. 

beer, wine, coffee are all a fraction of the price if you buy from any supermarket but you don't get the extra benefit of chance encounters and connections  you might get  at a pub or coffee shop. For the moment, that's going to be vital for Edo to get established in Galway or any other new location. I get the impression he's not too bad at that, I'm hopeless, more likely to sit in the corner nursing my drink looking miserable.Galway being a university town, there may be accommodation going spare at least for the summer break. I rented in London for ten years after a dire stretch of sofa-surfing. When I finally lucked into a cheap but suitable flat deal it was life-changing. When I finally got on the housing ladder, I never looked back but I count myself very lucky!, That was funded by commissioned travel and stock photography which would be really hard to-day

Edited by Robert M Estall

8 hours ago, spacecadet said:

it's the combination of words I didn't get. They appear to embody an alien concept.

LOL, I understood what he said (meant) from the git-go. Maybe I just understand Allanese better than you because Allan and I travel through some of the same rabbit holes. Hallooooo, Allan! 

Glad you are spared those hours, Edo.

Betty

19 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

LOL, I understood what he said (meant) from the git-go. Maybe I just understand Allanese better than you because Allan and I travel through some of the same rabbit holes. Hallooooo, Allan! 

Glad you are spared those hours, Edo.

Betty

Hallooooo Betty!  I'm just in the next rabbit hole.😀

Pleased to hear you have your ticket to paradise Edo.  (Do they spell it "paradice" in the US?

Allan

• Ed Rooney changed the title to Galway, Ireland?