Screen brightness (Mac) should be in the region of 100 - 110 cd/m2

Alex

Well I do now have a zoom - but probably a bad zoom as the search term was my surname and it is an old Live News image (note to self go and edit captions for live news stuff once it enters main stock)

I found I  had a problem underexposing my images because I ran my laptop screen full brightness so what looked fine on there looked awful elsewhere.  I ran the screen bright because I love light - I suffer the variant of SAD where instead of getting depressed and miserable I will literally hibernate (like if not controlled I can sleep 18 hours in 24 during winter).  Anyway after getting my wrist slapped on here with people telling me my stuff was underexposed I turned the screen down (and have now moved processing to my desktop anyway for other reasons) and my more recent images are much better exposed.

I have calibrated my screens as best I can using online sites and that - a new monitor with better colour balance is on my list of things to buy (along with that super duper lens lol).  It is amazing the things you become interested in that you never knew existed when you get seriously into this stock stuff.  Still, it is another way of silencing the "what do you need that great camera for my phone takes brilliant photos" idiots - ask them about screen calibration.

Posted (edited)

Keeping an eye on the histogram in your post-processing tool(s) isn't a bad thing to do. While monitor's and how well they are calibrated may vary, the histogram won't. As a general rule, unless one of my images is obviously meant to be dark (e.g. night shot), I will often change exposure/contrast if it looks like it is too far to the left on the histogram.

Edited by Matt Ashmore
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, Matt Ashmore said:

Keeping an eye on the histogram

Careful now, giving out great advise without having to spend loads of money 😉😀

2 hours ago, chris_rabe said:

Oh, I have my screen calibrated - using spyder 4 and dispcal. Though I obviously wasn't thinking clearly on brightness (backlight level)

To get my screen to more or less match luminance of prints, I had to turn my brightness way, way down. Now it looks too dark in my opinion. 

Previously when I had printed canvas prints, I did not find this an issue at all.

So, I just don't want to do anything else until I have prints from my UK lab to compare with.

I suppose I should really invest in a decent printer for home...

Taking a quick look, you don't seem to have a problem with your recent subs here.

Posted (edited)

duplicate

Edited by spacecadet

3 hours ago, chris_rabe said:

To get my screen to more or less match luminance of prints, I had to turn my brightness way, way down. Now it looks too dark in my opinion.

Mine are at 100 cd /m2

When I was working in a brighter room they were a bit higher.

wim

11 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Mine are at 100 cd /m2

wim

Out of interest, roughly how bright is the environment you're working in?

Mark

3 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Out of interest, roughly how bright is the environment you're working in?

Mark

No direct light at daytime nor at nighttime.

Now where's my lux meter?

Ok let's get a camera then: At 100 ISO it's 1/8s at F 2.0.

My phone says 45 Lux. Which would be around 1/4s.

I'll do daytime tomorrow.

wim

32 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

No direct light at daytime nor at nighttime.

Now where's my lux meter?

Ok let's get a camera then: At 100 ISO it's 1/8s at F 2.0.

My phone says 45 Lux. Which would be around 1/4s.

I'll do daytime tomorrow.

wim

Suggest target is a matt white sheet of card laid on keyboard, I’ll check mine tomorrow too.

Mark

Just now, M.Chapman said:

Suggest target is a matt white sheet of card laid on keyboard, I’ll check mine tomorrow too.

Mark

I used an 18% grey card.

wim

5 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Mine are at 100 cd /m2

wim

My monitor is at 90 cd/m2 measured with the i1 Display Pro from X-Rite (also in a room with no direct light - not exactly a cave but not far off). 

Alamy, as OP it's time to close this post

• Downvote 4

Posted (edited)

My screen measures at 200 cd/m2 (using i1Pro) which is probably a bit bright, but my room is reasonably lit.

For a simple comparison

A white sheet of photo paper when placed horizontal on a nearby table gives a metered exposure of 1/8th at f/8 ISO 400

My monitor screen, when displaying 100% white gives a metered exposure of 1/60th at f/8 ISO 400

So white on my monitor screen appears about 8x brighter than white on photo-paper in the room where my computer is.

But, if I was inspecting prints I'd take them somewhere brighter, which (coincidentally?) I find also meters at 1/60th f/8 ISO 400.

NB. I'm not saying my monitor setting is right or wrong, I'm just reporting what it is.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

I think the important thing is to have consistency in the ambient lighting so it is not ideal to work in a room where light levels and colour of the light change significantly throughout the day. 

1 hour ago, KODAKovic said:

Alamy, as OP it's time to close this post

Yeah, next thing you know people will be posting Off Topic stuff like " I'd like to feel free to point out on crystal-clear un-professional methods i'm seeing here about Alamy Measures issue management. " . . . oh . . . wait . . .

DD

• Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, MDM said:

I think the important thing is to have consistency in the ambient lighting so it is not ideal to work in a room where light levels and colour of the light change significantly throughout the day. 

Yeah, unfortunately I do work in a room with highly variable ambient brightness and source. Unfortunately nothing I can do about it.

14 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Mine are at 100 cd /m2

wim

Mine is now adjusted to ~100

I do seem to have taken this thread somewhat off-topic though :D

i supposed this was a typical italian behaviour, but i was wrong

Last one out, turn off the li------------------------------------------

On 05/03/2019 at 12:56, losdemas said:

It won't last. 

Still showing almost a week later.

7 hours ago, Marb said:

Still showing almost a week later.

A reason to be +ive, then.

13 hours ago, losdemas said: