Post your positive results in 2019 here! :)

After some low end sales tail end of last year, and into this year as well..there were a few nice sales too...ok  the small sales help the bottom line i know....A nice single $330 gross sale dropped in this month 😀 yes!...It was a travel guide use full page plus extras, an architectural cityscape from 2007...a shot that looks like i took it yesterday finally finds a good buyer...Very happy with that....Thanks Alamy

• Like 4

On 15/06/2019 at 12:32, William Caram said:

After some low end sales tail end of last year, and into this year as well..there were a few nice sales too...ok  the small sales help the bottom line i know....A nice single $330 gross sale dropped in this month 😀 yes!...It was a travel guide use full page plus extras, an architectural cityscape from 2007...a shot that looks like i took it yesterday finally finds a good buyer...Very happy with that....Thanks Alamy

nice one 

• Like 1

So far, only two sales, of fish, one for $125 and the other for $193.  Nicaragua is still dead for tourism from the US (of the Central American countries south of Mexico, only Guatemala, Costa Rica, and Panama are on the US State Department's "Go with caution" Category 2 list.  Every other country is "Category 3: Reconsider Travel plans."

• Like 1

Just now, aphperspective said:

Thanks V muchly just keep bashing away, hopefully for some fine sunny weather shots this summer.

Weather is supposed to be good tomorrow.  I'm photographing a conference in Cork city - ugggggh.

1 minute ago, Colblimp said:

Weather is supposed to be good tomorrow.  I'm photographing a conference in Cork city - ugggggh.

Look on the bright side looks like the hospital workers are out on strike on thursday, might be a picket line or two around.

10 minutes ago, aphperspective said:

Look on the bright side looks like the hospital workers are out on strike on thursday, might be a picket line or two around.

Yeah, I saw that. Hopefully something will appear.

On 16/06/2019 at 20:41, MizBrown said:

So far, only two sales, of fish, one for $125 and the other for $193.  Nicaragua is still dead for tourism from the US (of the Central American countries south of Mexico, only Guatemala, Costa Rica, and Panama are on the US State Department's "Go with caution" Category 2 list.  Every other country is "Category 3: Reconsider Travel plans."

Congratulations. Those two are solid sales. A few of my Nica images -- they tend to be the same ones -- license regularly. However, you're correct, there doesn't seem to be a big demand these days, and I'm sure the travel warnings, etc. aren't helping matters. I've travelled extensively in all the CA countries and have never had any serious safety problems. Bad stuff can happen anywhere, often where it's least expected.

59 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I've travelled extensively in all the CA countries and have never had any serious safety problems. Bad stuff can happen anywhere, often where it's least expected.

Very much agreed John.  I've traveled extensively too, not just CA but around the world -- Peru, Nepal, Egypt, Far East etc -- there are different cultures, but same rules apply:  there are bad parts of the town where you don't go to  (just like East Hastings in Van) rest is similar as in the west.  I think there is wrong perception that lower standard of life in 3rd world countries means increased likeliness you will get robbed.  In fact I felt safer on a recent trip in Cuba (not resorts, but real Cuba) than in Canada.   You only need to do bit of research and use common sense, that's all. 

Got a sale for over $200 which is always nice. 

Still waiting on another I image I  found  online (with my name and Alamy) but which hasn't showed up in my account after more than 3 months, so I can finally write and ask them to follow up. I get antsy waiting so long. 

Shame about Central America. So many places on my bucket list there. 

6 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Congratulations. Those two are solid sales. A few of my Nica images -- they tend to be the same ones -- license regularly. However, you're correct, there doesn't seem to be a big demand these days, and I'm sure the travel warnings, etc. aren't helping matters. I've travelled extensively in all the CA countries and have never had any serious safety problems. Bad stuff can happen anywhere, often where it's least expected.

Thanks.  I've been here almost nine years and last year wasn't normal times..

One of the problems was North Americans and North American raised dual nationals had zero sense of the dangers of standing by people who were shooting rocks out of hand cannon at  police with automatic weapons.  One expat here went out with the marchers until the shooting started.  Another expat in another city got a rock in the back when he joined a march there (not hurt, just bruised).   When I went out to photograph my neighbors building barricades, my adrenalin was sky high.   Last year was not normal conditions and the problem with people raised in the US is not understanding that all this can get bloody fast.   

I have a collection of rocks.in my patio that were shot over a two story roof to land there.  Mortaros (muzzle loaded hand cannons)-- every adolescent Nicaraguan male's phallic symbol last year, both sides.   At night, I got the cat and dog and went to my back bedroom with several masonry walls between me and the street.   It was seriously not fun.  One guy I know said his FSLN lawyer was kidnapped, tortured, and killed.  Another couple who were FSLN because of employment and who were opposed to what the local government was doing (hiring kids to beat up the opposition, basically) were threatened with death and had a phone stolen by anti-Ortega street blockaders who decided he was a spy.   I may have had a cane toad thrown into my yard because my housekeeper for a while was working as an administrative assistant for the police (can't really figure how the toad got in otherwise as there's only concrete in front of the house and the courtyard has two story walls).

I'd say now that for tourists, it's safe enough if people don't do stupid things like joining marches, photographing cops arresting people (I wish I could have without getting arrested myself).   Basically, safest way in would be through Costa Rica and over to San Juan del Sur. 

At this point, nobody is going for expats as long as they stay out of the political messes.  Ortega's Petronic even sent two oil tankers by sea barge to San Juan del Sur when the blockades stopped land deliveries of gasoline.   In Matagalpa, one guy opened his door to see a riot in which an FSLN official was killed.  He was busted, got involved in a prison riot apparently, and was killed by the cops.  Dual national who'd served in the US military -- very sad.   One guy was convicted of shooting a Brazilian girl who was studying in Nicaragua probably because the Brazilian government protested and she'd truly been just a curious bystander.  

The Cubans have a medical outreach facility in my town which didn't have fencing protecting it before this past year.  Now it's got steel barricades and gates.  A Nicaraguan health department truck was burned during the mess.   I don't know if the Cubans were threatened or not (suspect that they were given the accusations that Cuba sent troops to Nicaragua to protect Ortega), but they certainly have upped the security since the events last year.

• Like 1

18 sales, 7 of which in June so far. Not bad at all, considering my small port. Revenues are not extraordinary (that's the photo market, these days) yet I had one $200 sale in April. 

17 hours ago, MizBrown said:

Thanks.  I've been here almost nine years and last year wasn't normal times..

One of the problems was North Americans and North American raised dual nationals had zero sense of the dangers of standing by people who were shooting rocks out of hand cannon at  police with automatic weapons.  One expat here went out with the marchers until the shooting started.  Another expat in another city got a rock in the back when he joined a march there (not hurt, just bruised).   When I went out to photograph my neighbors building barricades, my adrenalin was sky high.   Last year was not normal conditions and the problem with people raised in the US is not understanding that all this can get bloody fast.   

I have a collection of rocks.in my patio that were shot over a two story roof to land there.  Mortaros (muzzle loaded hand cannons)-- every adolescent Nicaraguan male's phallic symbol last year, both sides.   At night, I got the cat and dog and went to my back bedroom with several masonry walls between me and the street.   It was seriously not fun.  One guy I know said his FSLN lawyer was kidnapped, tortured, and killed.  Another couple who were FSLN because of employment and who were opposed to what the local government was doing (hiring kids to beat up the opposition, basically) were threatened with death and had a phone stolen by anti-Ortega street blockaders who decided he was a spy.   I may have had a cane toad thrown into my yard because my housekeeper for a while was working as an administrative assistant for the police (can't really figure how the toad got in otherwise as there's only concrete in front of the house and the courtyard has two story walls).

I'd say now that for tourists, it's safe enough if people don't do stupid things like joining marches, photographing cops arresting people (I wish I could have without getting arrested myself).   Basically, safest way in would be through Costa Rica and over to San Juan del Sur. 

At this point, nobody is going for expats as long as they stay out of the political messes.  Ortega's Petronic even sent two oil tankers by sea barge to San Juan del Sur when the blockades stopped land deliveries of gasoline.   In Matagalpa, one guy opened his door to see a riot in which an FSLN official was killed.  He was busted, got involved in a prison riot apparently, and was killed by the cops.  Dual national who'd served in the US military -- very sad.   One guy was convicted of shooting a Brazilian girl who was studying in Nicaragua probably because the Brazilian government protested and she'd truly been just a curious bystander.  

The Cubans have a medical outreach facility in my town which didn't have fencing protecting it before this past year.  Now it's got steel barricades and gates.  A Nicaraguan health department truck was burned during the mess.   I don't know if the Cubans were threatened or not (suspect that they were given the accusations that Cuba sent troops to Nicaragua to protect Ortega), but they certainly have upped the security since the events last year.

Wow, those are scary stories. Things have certainly heated up in Nicaragua since my last visit in 2010. Just wondering, have you tried submitting images to any of the English-language news outlets in Nicaragua such as Today Nicaragua? They probably don't pay much, but they use a lot of photos. I used to know the editor of the now-defunct Nica Times quite well. He went on to start his own newsletter called Nicaragua Dispatch, not sure how it's doing. Never a dull moment in Nicaragua...

Edited by John Mitchell

23 hours ago, riccarbi said:

18 sales, 7 of which in June so far. Not bad at all, considering my small port. Revenues are not extraordinary (that's the photo market, these days) yet I had one $200 sale in April. 

Well done on your sales..

• Love 1

55 minutes ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

My first of these:

Usage: Advertising and promotion
Media: Outdoor display – billboard/transit ad
Industry sector: Education
Print run: up to 5
Image Size: 1/4 area
Start: 17 June 2019
End: 24 June 2019

Well done - decent fee, I hope?

On 19/06/2019 at 11:39, John Mitchell said:

Wow, those are scary stories. Things have certainly heated up in Nicaragua since my last visit in 2010. Just wondering, have you tried submitting images to any of the English-language news outlets in Nicaragua such as Today Nicaragua? They probably don't pay much, but they use a lot of photos. I used to know the editor of the now-defunct Nica Times quite well. He went on to start his own newsletter called Nicaragua Dispatch, not sure how it's doing. Never a dull moment in Nicaragua...

I'm not an accredited journalist in Nicaragua, and getting involved in local politics is ground for deportation.  Today Nicaragua looks like an anti-Ortega site.  The reality here is that a third of the population still supports Ortega since the economy was doing better and better every year until last year's troubles.  A third of the population is to the right and a third of the population may be to the left. 

Tim Rogers and La Prensa are right wing, and very hostile to Ortega. 

My impression is that Rogers is no longer in Nicaragua, and another guy who was yammering a lot about how he had the solutions for improving Nicaraguan tourism and generally being a prat was denied re-entry into the country.  

Edited by MizBrown
More information

On 19/06/2019 at 11:39, John Mitchell said:

Delete duplicate

Edited by MizBrown

1 hour ago, MizBrown said:

I'm not an accredited journalist in Nicaragua, and getting involved in local politics is ground for deportation.  Today Nicaragua looks like an anti-Ortega site.  The reality here is that a third of the population still supports Ortega since the economy was doing better and better every year until last year's troubles.  A third of the population is to the right and a third of the population may be to the left. 

Tim Rogers and La Prensa are right wing, and very hostile to Ortega. 

Understood. Nicaragua was very divided when I last visited almost a decade ago. The US is just as bad these days, sad to say.

Edited by John Mitchell

On 21/06/2019 at 14:16, John Mitchell said:

Understood. Nicaragua was very divided when I last visited almost a decade ago. The US is just as bad these days, sad to say.

In 2011, the EU voting observers said the cheating and irregularities on both sides canceled each other out.  The opposition kept screaming about how nobody they knew voted for Ortega so the vote had to be a sham.

Up until yesterday I was on 1 sale for the month for exactly $100.  I've woken up this morning and that figure has gone up to 15 sales for $571, with 3 (not including the $100 sale) for nice $$$!  If you put the work in, STAY POSITIVE, and keep plugging away, it'll happen.  Good to see the $$$ sales, too - they're still out there!

• Love 3
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

Up until yesterday I was on 1 sale for the month for exactly $100.  I've woken up this morning and that figure has gone up to 15 sales for $571, with 3 (not including the $100 sale) for nice $$$!  If you put the work in, STAY POSITIVE, and keep plugging away, it'll happen.  Good to see the $$$ sales, too - they're still out there!

Well done - mine have picked up overnight too, though not to the same extent

Alex

• Like 2