Jump to content
Starsphinx

Has the autofill for location disappeared for everyone?

Recommended Posts

Not sure if this is just me - I hope so because of it being a massive time saver.

When I am filling out the optional tag for images there is the location field - in the past whenever I have typed anything in this area it has come up with google maps and suggestions so I only ever needed to type a few letters before I could click on the location.  Now nothing - I am typing out the whole thing with no map or pin or autofill appearing.  It is actually quite grating because it certainly takes a lot more time to type "someplace, anytown, such and such region, this country" than it did to type "someplace" and have the options come up to just click one.

If it is just me I can go and find out what I have accidentally turned off and turn it back on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine isn't working as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yes - it's gone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is bad - this does need to come back.

 

In what universe would this be considered an improvement?

Edited by Starsphinx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps it's a hechnical titch,:)

 

Allan

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Google maps recently changed their maps API and I believe their charges for linking to maps. Alamy is probably having to make updates for this, which has also affected other applications. 

Edited by Graham
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish the big online guys would give a bit more warning and preparation time when they change their APIs - its a real pain.  They are generally not going to get it in the neck it is all the companies using their stuff that get it from annoyed customers so little of it gets to the place that's actually making the decisions.  This thread is typical - so it's not Alamys fault but it is them getting me moaning at them (until I am put right about it being google at fault lol).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Starsphinx said:

Not sure if this is just me - I hope so because of it being a massive time saver.

When I am filling out the optional tag for images there is the location field - in the past whenever I have typed anything in this area it has come up with google maps and suggestions so I only ever needed to type a few letters before I could click on the location.  Now nothing - I am typing out the whole thing with no map or pin or autofill appearing.  It is actually quite grating because it certainly takes a lot more time to type "someplace, anytown, such and such region, this country" than it did to type "someplace" and have the options come up to just click one.

If it is just me I can go and find out what I have accidentally turned off and turn it back on.

Mine is stuffed as well! Thought it was just me. Thanks for clarifying.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Google are now charging (a lot) for use of their maps over a certain limit. See these postings....

 

Geosetter - http://www.geosetter.de/mantis/view.php?id=1970

 

IMatch - https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=8386.0

 

Edit:  more here - https://mapifypro.com/yep-google-maps-really-is-charging-everyone/

 

Edited by Vincent Lowe
added link

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine gone too - it's a real pain in the buttocks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess the obvious workaround is going to be to have a separate tab open just on the maps to copy and paste - but reading the links from @Vincent Lowe I am forced to wonder how long we can do that without being charged.  Remembering that Google are already making lots of money from the adverts we will see using their maps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An API key is now required, allowing Google to bill for use.  The interface hasn't changed apart from this field now being mandatory.

The charges seem to be about $2,000 for one million autocompletions: given the advantages to Alamy for location based sales, and the assurance of geospatial accuracy I consider this to be worth it, but I guess I don't know how many requests Alamy users would make, and how much that will eat into profits.  I really do hope it returns.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why do you say it's now mandatory? - it's under the 'optional' tab.

 

And it's not searchable so I don't see how it would affect sales.  In fact, I don't really see the point of having it but I do fill it in*, almost invariably just a copy and paste from the main caption where I always include the location. 

 

* just in case Alamy decide to implement something in the future.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vincent Lowe said:

Why do you say it's now mandatory? - it's under the 'optional' tab.

 

And it's not searchable so I don't see how it would affect sales.  In fact, I don't really see the point of having it but I do fill it in*, almost invariably just a copy and paste from the main caption where I always include the location. 

 

* just in case Alamy decide to implement something in the future.

I think you got the wrong end of the stick - he did not mean the field is mandatory when filling in keywords etc he meant that for the function to be used an API key from Google is now mandatory for it to work - and that key is going to cost Alamy a lot of money hence why at the moment it is not there at all.

It is another piece of cheeky footwork by Google - they have got billions of websites used to having their visitors be able to see information through google maps for free - and now they are used to it, and for many websites it has become practically essential, Google are going right if you want to keep it hand over the cash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m curious about the auto fill part of logging in to the forum and AIM on my iPad. In the past, when I clicked the curser on one of the sign-in blanks, the options showed up below. I clicked on one, and it auto filled. 

After I updated my IOS yesterday, those options have disappeared.  Now I have to type both in every...single...time. I don’t like it. It’s bad enough we have to sign in several times a day without having the auto fill available. 

Is it the update, or does this come from Alamy? 

Betty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Starsphinx said:

I think you got the wrong end of the stick - he did not mean the field is mandatory when filling in keywords etc he meant that for the function to be used an API key from Google is now mandatory for it to work - and that key is going to cost Alamy a lot of money hence why at the moment it is not there at all..

 

 

Ah, I see what you mean - apologies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

I’m curious about the auto fill part of logging in to the forum and AIM on my iPad. In the past, when I clicked the curser on one of the sign-in blanks, the options showed up below. I clicked on one, and it auto filled. 

After I updated my IOS yesterday, those options have disappeared.  Now I have to type both in every...single...time. I don’t like it. It’s bad enough we have to sign in several times a day without having the auto fill available. 

Is it the update, or does this come from Alamy? 

Betty

If you have saved the password and login info, it should show up at the bottom of the screen in the same place where fill options for general text show. It then asks if you want to use this info.  My iPad this then asks for fingerprint verification which I have on. It may be different for you. Saved account info is under Settings - Passwords and Accounts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Drop Google. It wasn't / isn't that big a job to enter the locaton manually.

Edited by Niels Quist
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Niels Quist said:

Drop Google. It wasn't / isn't that big a job to enter the locaton manually.

 

The Map module in Lightroom is still working so I guess Adobe paid up. I don't know if the Location info transmits as metadata through QC but it can be stored in Lightroom with the image automatically or manually. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure it will get sorted out. I always put the location in the caption. The location box is not searchable. 

 

Edo

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/20/2018 at 11:49, MDM said:

If you have saved the password and login info, it should show up at the bottom of the screen in the same place where fill options for general text show. It then asks if you want to use this info.  My iPad this then asks for fingerprint verification which I have on. It may be different for you. Saved account info is under Settings - Passwords and Accounts. 

Yes, it asked for fingerprint ID. I’ve never seemed to get fingerprint ID to work, but I’ve just bumbled through it.  Before, it never asked for fingerprint ID. Beats me why the change. 

Betty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can turn this off in Settings - Touch ID and Passcode - Password Autofill. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.