I think Alamy have a tendency to tweak things slightly from time to time nowadays and maybe this is what the OP is seeing.  I can't see any significant shift in BHZ nor in my benchmark searches, which is a pity as my Alamy views/zooms/sales have been in the doldrums for months now and I would quite like to see a shake up.

2 hours ago, Marcin Rogozinski said:

There was definitely a tweak for me, when using my test searches, compare to previous months.

If any of your test images was zoomed whilst using the same search term as you are using, I believe it's position may improve. Unless of course Alamy have changed something else.....

Mark

3 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

If any of your test images was zoomed whilst using the same search term as you are using, I believe it's position may improve. Unless of course Alamy have changed something else.....

Mark

I have not seen that. Not even with sales. It should work like that though.

It looks like the most stupid image can block the best and best-selling images.

It takes a while to identify those blockades and then to get rid of them. Moving them to a different pseudo not always works. Still looking for a decent solution.

wim

Once change since the last time I looked, a few weeks back, is that Creative is now decidedly different from Relevant; in fact for some searches I tried Creative = Creative keywording =  Irrelevant. For a long time, Creative seemed to be if not identical to Relevant, not far off.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Mine very suddenly deteriorated since 5 weeks. 

Kumar

Same here. I was chugging right along and then the CTR trestle suddenly collapsed. August was my slowest month in a long time, though.

If anything, my BHZ positions have improved somewhat over last month's.

Zoom free September for me to date, a tad discouraging....... 

In recent times my monthly zoom total has varied greatly between around 25 and 70, looks like this month may break the wrong record. :(

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Mine very suddenly deteriorated since 5 weeks. 

Kumar

I thought it was just me!. Everything was going quite nicely until around 4 weeks ago, when suddenly zooms and sales seemed to slide off into the distance.

4 hours ago, Bryan said:

Zoom free September for me to date, a tad discouraging....... 

In recent times my monthly zoom total has varied greatly between around 25 and 70, looks like this month may break the wrong record. :(

Slow start for me too (much like August) -- four zooms and one sale. My CTR has gone up a smidgen.

15 hours ago, wiskerke said:

I have not seen that. Not even with sales. It should work like that though.

It looks like the most stupid image can block the best and best-selling images.

It takes a while to identify those blockades and then to get rid of them. Moving them to a different pseudo not always works. Still looking for a decent solution.

wim

I've seen evidence of it in the past. The search terms used when the zoom occurred have to exactly match the search term used in the later search for the image to be promoted. The "discovery" followed a long discussion with Alamy as to why one of my (worst) images always appeared first in a particular search when the search term was only in the tags, whereas other images that had the same keyword in supertags appeared lower down

If you have a record of your zoomed images (including the exact search term used) try repeating the search and see which of your images appears first (assuming you have more than one image which meets the search criteria).

Mark

Update - I just looked again this morning and the pattern is still there. If an image has previously been zoomed, then if the search is repeated (using exactly the same search terms) it appears higher in the results than might otherwise be expected. Similarly, images that have been zoomed using different search term, or not zoomed at all appear lower. I realise this is slightly a self-fulfilling argument (images that appear higher have more chance of being zoomed) . But here are the stats which strongly suggest what I'm seeing isn't down to chance. I have 32 of my images returned when I search Alamy for Leicester Cathedral. Out of the first 7 of my images, 6 have all been previously zoomed using Leicester Cathedral as a search term. The remaining 25 (which all appear lower down in the search results) have either never been zoomed, or have been zoomed using a different search term. Purely chance? I think not.

2 hours ago, Cryptoprocta said:

Me three, (even better than August) but so far no sales this month

Same here. A number of decent zooms in September, but no sales so far this month. Weird. Maybe it’s just a tweak favouring those North of the Border 😏

6 hours ago, Cryptoprocta said:

Once change since the last time I looked, a few weeks back, is that Creative is now decidedly different from Relevant; in fact for some searches I tried Creative = Creative keywording =  Irrelevant. For a long time, Creative seemed to be if not identical to Relevant, not far off.

Replying to my own post (! - is that like talking to yourself?) it's not that simple.

For example, female chaffinch flying has a different 'top of the page' in Creative and Relevant.

But Viking spinning has the same results with either sort filter.

Ho-hum.

13 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

I've seen evidence of it in the past. The search terms used when the zoom occurred have to exactly match the search term used in the later search for the image to be promoted. The "discovery" followed a long discussion with Alamy as to why one of my (worst) images always appeared first in a particular search when the search term was only in the tags, whereas other images that had the same keyword in supertags appeared lower down

If you have a record of your zoomed images (including the exact search term used) try repeating the search and see which of your images appears first (assuming you have more than one image which meets the search criteria).

Mark

Update - I just looked again this morning and the pattern is still there. If an image has previously been zoomed, then if the search is repeated (using exactly the same search terms) it appears higher in the results than might otherwise be expected. Similarly, images that have been zoomed using different search term, or not zoomed at all appear lower. I realise this is slightly a self-fulfilling argument (images that appear higher have more chance of being zoomed) . But here are the stats which strongly suggest what I'm seeing isn't down to chance. I have 32 of my images returned when I search Alamy for Leicester Cathedral. Out of the first 7 of my images, 6 have all been previously zoomed using Leicester Cathedral as a search term. The remaining 25 (which all appear lower down in the search results) have either never been zoomed, or have been zoomed using a different search term. Purely chance? I think not.

I have noticed this too on a few occasions recently.  Unfortunately I can't say whether or not sales are giving a similar result as I rarely know what exact search term has been used for a given sale but I suspect it works the same.  If it doesn't then it probably should.

Pearl

Archived