A First - Entire Month Without A Zoom

Outside of the first 3 months I was on Alamy, for the first time I went the entire month without one zoom.  Had sales, but no zooms.  My zooms have been down all year, but never had a goose egg month except for when I first started.

I'm assuming that last December there was another re-rank and that this December there will be another one.  Hoping that will improve for me,  although sales almost as good as last year (in volume anyway) so can't complain on that front.

Anyone else have blank months over the past year?

Jill

33 minutes ago, Rico said:

July was zero zooms with one sale.  August was back up to seven zooms, no sales

Rick

August 6 zooms zero sales.

Allan

I had 32 zooms in August, which was probably my best month ever for zooms. CTR the second best in the rolling year.

Good zoom months don't always lead to sales down the line, though.

(Lest anyone think I'm bragging, the 'How was August? thread reveals that I'm probably the person with the lowest average RPD on Alamy.)

6 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

Glad to see August has also been a slow zoom month for others.  Hoping September has more to offer.

Jill

I think I was starting to get spoiled. I haven't seen a dip like this in zooms and sales for over a year.

According to the roller-coaster theory, next month should be a better one. If not, we can always blame NAFTA. :D

8 zooms 1 sale in August.

Jill, I wouldn't worry - For years I would get sales and very few zooms, and even with zooms they often don't coincide with my sales. The past year or so zooms seem to be up, and they have been pretty steady this year, but this year sales are down. 

I'd take a couple more sales and no zooms any day. 

Hoping to see things pick up now that it's September - the summer is often slow. 

My zooms were down, too like 13 for the month and 5 sales. But prices not bad at over $300 for the 5.

Last month, best ever with 11 sales. I wouldn’t say August was horrible, but less than half of July.

Jill, I’ve had months like yours, sometimes two in a row, then the tide would change.

Betty

The gradual downwards trend for contributors continues, so many images available and growing all of the time.

I suspect that last year might have been my best ever on Alamy, I've seen a growth of sales over recent years as my collection and understanding of the market increased, but this year things are tailing off. Sorry to sound pessimistic, but this is how I see it. There's clearly still money to be made, but I have a rule that any photo gear investment comes out of photo related earnings, no sense in paying for sales!

10 hours ago, Bryan said:

The gradual downwards trend for contributors continues, so many images available and growing all of the time.

I suspect that last year might have been my best ever on Alamy, I've seen a growth of sales over recent years as my collection and understanding of the market increased, but this year things are tailing off. Sorry to sound pessimistic, but this is how I see it. There's clearly still money to be made, but I have a rule that any photo gear investment comes out of photo related earnings, no sense in paying for sales!

Methinks you have a point. The challenge from now on is going to be simply maintaining current income levels, at least it will be for me because I add only a few hundred images per year. I seem to be in plateau country now. B)

Best year for number of sales: 2017

Best year for income: 2014

P.S. That's a wise rule. No point in spending more on equipment than you can afford these days.

For me, best year for numbers of sales and for income (just), was 2016. 

2017 was the first year in which both fell slightly, mainly due to the change in Alamy search engine on 5/12 2016

This year I am still hoping to beat 2016 - am ahead so far, (though in terms of gross income for the year, am only ahead by $1 !!)

Kumar

44 minutes ago, Doc said:

For me, best year for numbers of sales and for income (just), was 2016. 

2017 was the first year in which both fell slightly, mainly due to the change in Alamy search engine on 5/12 2016

This year I am still hoping to beat 2016 - am ahead so far, (though in terms of gross income for the year, am only ahead by $1 !!)

Kumar

That's impressive. It would take me another lifetime, perhaps two, to upload as many images as you have.

Archived