8 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Slow uploading seems to have become the norm for me. I just uploaded ten images and it took almost an hour. Same thing happened last week.

Perhaps it's time to switch to FTP. Is it a lot faster?

I just switched my internet for this reason...nightmare that it was to do it, but it's made a huge difference.

It all does come down to your overall internet speed but ftp will be faster than the browser upload. I use filezilla, if the internet drops mid upload it will pop them in a failed uploads list for you to reupload later rather than having to manually select the failed ones.

j

9 minutes ago, James Hodgson said:

It all does come down to your overall internet speed but ftp will be faster than the browser upload. I use filezilla, if the internet drops mid upload it will pop them in a failed uploads list for you to reupload later rather than having to manually select the failed ones.

j

I have a pretty fast (but not super fast) connection. Uploading ten images would have taken a few minutes not long ago. Now it's torture. Have no idea what has happened. I seem to be back to the old days when you could do the laundry, cook dinner, and watch a Seinfeld episode on TV while images were uploading.

I use Photo Mechanic for keywording, etc. Apparently, it's possible to FTP directly from PM. I'll have to try to figure out how to do it. Am also familiar with Filezilla. Thanks.

I have also found uploading to be very slow lately.  Sometimes I've given up and tried again at another time and it goes a little faster. When I upgraded my internet speed last year, the uploading of images was noticeably faster, each one speeding through.  However in the last couple months or so, there are times when it can take up to several minutes per image.  I'm not sure who or what is to blame for that.

Maria

My upload speed changed after we got a new router because the previous one stopped working. I complained about it and eventually after much testing they told me that they had taken the default 'cap' off the upload speed. How I was supposed to know that there was a cap, I don't know. It's better, but not as good as it was before we had to change the router (and that's with FTP). Worth checking, therefore, with your provider whether they apply a cap. It seems most people want to download, not upload.

20 minutes ago, MariaJ said:

I have also found uploading to be very slow lately.  Sometimes I've given up and tried again at another time and it goes a little faster. When I upgraded my internet speed last year, the uploading of images was noticeably faster, each one speeding through.  However in the last couple months or so, there are times when it can take up to several minutes per image.  I'm not sure who or what is to blame for that.

Maria

I upgraded (TELUS) last year and my Alamy uploads began to zip right through. However, things have been gradually going downhill during the past couple of months.

1 minute ago, John Mitchell said:

I upgraded (TELUS) last year and my Alamy uploads began to zip right through. However, things have been gradually going downhill during the past couple of months.

I'm not with Telus and have had the same problem.  Very fast when I upgraded last and pretty slow these days.

I have also noticed a slow down with the Alamy upload lately.....it used to be much faster and nothing has changed on my end.  I use a fiber optic connection and have the latest router offered.  I was assuming that Alamy is bogged down from a huge amount of data coming to them.

38 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I had to get rid of TELUS...no upgrades in my area..and wasn't on fibre yet and no timeline for that happening ever...so gave up

4 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

I have also noticed a slow down with the Alamy upload lately.....it used to be much faster and nothing has changed on my end.  I use a fiber optic connection and have the latest router offered.  I was assuming that Alamy is bogged down from a huge amount of data coming to them.

That's what I figure. The monster (albeit a nice monster) has indigestion caused by overeating.

I usually use the browser with no problems, but last night Alamy upload was rubbish. I uploaded to another agency at the same time (not exactly the same time) via my browser without any issues - speedy upload. Switched to Filezilla for Alamy and it was a breeze.

I changed to Filezilla a few years ago and never looked back. There's no mucking about in the GUI and it's great to see the files blazing across at close to your profile speed. They take seconds now.

Remember when they took 5 minutes?

I trie and tried to upload 12 yesterday afternoon. Left them two different times for half an hour and it was stuck on the 1st image. Close out and start over. Finally I tried leaving number 1 out of the upload and the other 11 zipped through. Then I added #1 to the upload, and it went. 

Shame we have to resort to weird ways to get it done.

Betty

I have slow upload speeds of less than 0.7 Mbps.  So I don't mind using Filezilla and letting it go while I do other stuff.

What I REALLY hate is that if I upload 50 images, Alamy will divide them into various submissions (say 4-5), some with only 2 images.  I was thinking of going back to the even slower online up-loader to see if I can avoid this.  Past experience tells me there is no fix for this either way, and Alamy can do nothing either.  Any others have trouble with this?

6 hours ago, spacecadet said:

I changed to Filezilla a few years ago and never looked back. There's no mucking about in the GUI and it's great to see the files blazing across at close to your profile speed. They take seconds now.

Remember when they took 5 minutes?

Yes, it seems like it was only yesterday. In fact, it was only yesterday (literally).

Ran into this problem yesterday evening. Had to wait ages for images to upload and I have a new fast router and fibre optic broadband. Didn't want to switch computer off, and solved (OK some cheating) 4 Guardian Speedy crosswords while waiting. Never known it to be as slow as this.

Edit - uploaded stuff this morning, a good deal faster, problem solved?

Hi everyone

We've had some issues with one of our processors over night, but this is now sorted. We are nearly through the backlog and the upload speed should be back to normal.

Thanks

Alamy

Archived