Since the name of the newest member (at time of posting) is "yeswedeliver" I'd guess this was due to spam, not the actions of real contributors. It's just easier for Alamy to disable the function rather than vet new members.

As Phillipe mentioned, we're not children.  Alamy is out of order turning that feature off, I found it very useful.  Being able to communicate privately with forum members can be important.  Shameful...

7 minutes ago, arterra said:

...... or for those only who passed their initial three images. Permission could be linked to our images number. 

Cheers,

Philippe

It would probably have to be more than just the initial submission, otherwise the spammers would just submit three (probably stolen) images to get their foot in the door. Forum Regular would be more restrictive, but may be required for the move to be effective.

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

A shame to lose it because of abuse. It was occasionally useful.

What a shame. Was useful, occasionally, as you say. Now we will have to clog-up forums with messages which are only meant for specific individuals. Alamy obviously thought the cost outweighed the benefit. If it had been a feature restricted to Forum regulars it would have made more sense IMO. :-(

Ooooh. I knew I should give my email address to someone I regularly communicate with. Hmmmm. Alas. Was that breaking the rules? We don't always talk about photography. Actually, I didn't know there were any rules.

Paulette

Will make life much more diifficult for those of us who meet up regularly - like our Cambridge/surrounds based group. 

Come on Alamy - there must be a better solution than this "all fits one" approach surely?

Kumar (the Doc one)

1 hour ago, DJ Myford said:

Since the name of the newest member (at time of posting) is "yeswedeliver" I'd guess this was due to spam, not the actions of real contributors. It's just easier for Alamy to disable the function rather than vet new members.

Actually, according to his/her profile, "yeswedeliver" joined Alamy in 2016 and has 500+ images on line.

He/She must have just joined the Forum today.

Let's be careful with assumptions.

Gen

1 hour ago, Colblimp said:

As Phillipe mentioned, we're not children.  Alamy is out of order turning that feature off, I found it very useful.  Being able to communicate privately with forum members can be important.  Shameful...

+1

I recently used it to help a new contributor understand how to pass Alamy QC. We exchanged real email addresses and then RAW files to illustrate the problem. I didn't use the feature very often, but it will be sadly missed, especially as I'm reluctant to post my real email address anywhere in public view (to avoid spam).

I hope Alamy will reconsider.

Mark

31 minutes ago, gvallee said:

Actually, according to his/her profile, "yeswedeliver" joined Alamy in 2016 and has 500+ images on line.

He/She must have just joined the Forum today.

Let's be careful with assumptions.

Gen

Oops, sorry. Apologies to all. I think I'll have to stop visiting here: it's having deleterious effects.

14 minutes ago, DJ Myford said:

Oops, sorry. Apologies to all. I think I'll have to stop visiting here: it's having deleterious effects.

Nahh! And thank you for teaching me a new word.

Gen

After all these years, surely they can deal with the perpatrator(s). Blocking a whole group for the actions of others seems a bit drastic.  

Since the forum isn't actually Alamy's but provided by a third party, they may not have the option to set standards for PM usage.  Probably can just turn it off or on for the whole forum, not individual users.

Jill

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Will make life much more diifficult for those of us who meet up regularly - like our Cambridge/surrounds based group. 

Come on Alamy - there must be a better solution than this "all fits one" approach surely?

Kumar (the Doc one)

I have email addresses of all the (Cambridge meetup) regulars I think :).

Pity Alamy didn't give some warning on this. I would like to have saved some conversations.

10 minutes ago, MDM said:

I have email addresses of all the regulars I think :).

Pity Alamy didn't give some warning on this. I would like to have saved some conversations.

Notice would have be nice to at least request a contact's email address before shutdown.

Jill

• Alamy locked this topic

Archived