POLL - Lightroom or Photoshop?

Lightroom or Photoshop?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer to use when processing images?

• Lightroom
    • Photoshop
    • Both equal
    • Neither

I hope this will be useful to Alamy. At the moment those of us using only Lightroom are stuck with having our keywords in alphabetical order if we want to keyword before submitting.

Paulette

The word equal in "both equal" is misleading. For most of what I do I use LR -- but I use PS and NX2 for certain tools. 

Yes, me too. 75% of my workflow is done in Lightroom. But I review images in photoshop at 100% and do find removing unwanted elements using the clone/healing tools easier in photoshop just because I find it easier. So I voted Lightroom as that's where the bulk of my editing is done.

The word equal in "both equal" is misleading. For most of what I do I use LR -- but I use PS and NX2 for certain tools. 

Yes, me too. 75% of my workflow is done in Lightroom. But I review images in photoshop at 100% and do find removing unwanted elements using the clone/healing tools easier in photoshop just because I find it easier. So I voted Lightroom as that's where the bulk of my editing is done.

Sure both equal is misleading. In fact I doubt that whoever devised the survey really meant both equally. To be honest, this option has not been well thought out. I assume what is meant that both programs get a siginificant amount of use and not an approximation of the time spent in either. Does anybody measure the amount of time spent in LR versus PS per image?

For me, depending on the image and its intended use, I use Photoshop to different degrees. I certainly could not even give an average percentage of the time I spend in LR versus PS. I answered both equal and I think you (Matt) should be answering both here as there is no doubt what was intended.

Is PSE included in Photoshop or is it just the Photoshop cloud subscription?

Allan

Not covered here but closest approximation would be both equal I would surmise. I think LR + PS Elements should have been added as another option as I know from this forum that a lot of people use these in combo.

Sure both equal is misleading. In fact I doubt that whoever devised the survey really meant both equally. To be honest, this option has not been well thought out. I assume what is meant that both programs get a siginificant amount of use and not an approximation of the time spent in either. Does anybody measure the amount of time spent in LR versus PS per image?

For me, depending on the image and its intended use, I use Photoshop to different degrees. I certainly could not even give an average percentage of the time I spend in LR versus PS. I answered both equal and I think you (Matt) should be answering both here as there is no doubt what was intended.

I can't vote.  I use Photoshop and something else.  So I can't vote for Photoshop and I can't vote for neither. 

Why bother with a blog post about this????  Why not write about something we really want to hear about, like the search engine or about tagging or something else useful.

I would suggest a two-stage poll as follows:

Which raw converter do you use?

Lightroom

ACR

Capture One

Camera maker's own

Other

None - I shoot JPEGs only

Which image pixel editor do you use?

Photoshop

Photoshop Elements

Other

None

Optionally add GIMP or whatever important pixel editor choice but I suspect that the number of people using Other will be small.

This survey would distinguish between those using LR or another raw converter exclusively and doing no further image editing from those who use both. This ignores the image management system used.

I don't use LR, but Bridge and ACR and PS.

So if they are trying to see how photographers edit their images, they will no get a very good picture.  I know the image editing tools in LR are the same as ACR, but keywording is better in Bridge.

So I won't vote, as although I use PS, I do most of my processing (which is the question) in ACR. But I can't choose neither as I do use PS, just not for the majority of the work.

Jill

^ I guess if Alamy had wanted to know that they would asked. As it is, it seems to me all they required was LR or PS. If you don't use them, vote neither.

Yes the original question asks which do you prefer - a fairly simple and limited question which doesn't provide a lot of meaningful info as Jill has just said. I think my survey proposal would give a lot more meaningful info about how people process their images.

I don't use LR, but Bridge and ACR and PS.

So if they are trying to see how photographers edit their images, they will no get a very good picture.  I know the image editing tools in LR are the same as ACR, but keywording is better in Bridge.

So I won't vote, as although I use PS, I do most of my processing (which is the question) in ACR. But I can't choose neither as I do use PS, just not for the majority of the work.

Jill

To be honest, I think the real question they are asking is, "We want to write a blog on Photoshop or Lightroom but don't know which to write about. Which would you like us to write a blog about?"

It seems a little odd that the best way to decide what to write a blogpost about is to conduct a badly thought out survey.

Tossing a coin would be just as effective.

Personally, I like the interaction and appreciate that Alamy are trying to write about something that interests their audience.

It seems a little odd that the best way to decide what to write a blogpost about is to conduct a badly thought out survey.

Personally, I like the interaction and appreciate that Alamy are trying to write about something that interests their audience.

I would rather read about something specific to Alamy. There are hundereds of blog posts written about photoshop, Lightroom and other image processing software.

I would rather read about something specific to Alamy. There are hundereds of blog posts written about photoshop, Lightroom and other image processing software.

I do tend to agree with you. Certainly a year ago, I would have found a blog on "how to prepare an image in Lightroom for Alamy News" that showed which fields to enter values for in the Lightroom interface useful... this would then be a blog on Lightroom with an Alamy angle.

From an Alamy perspective though, I don't think these blogs are always intended for us (by us, I mean existing contributors)... they are advertising. Suppose a young and inspiring photographer is trying to find a tutorial on Lightroom.. they might use google and find Alamy's blog (that they might be about to write) on Lightroom. And as a consequence of finding this blog, they might learn of the existence of Alamy, learn what Alamy do and sign up. If that young, inspiring photographer turns out to be the next David Bailey then...

Why bother with a blog post about this????

Maybe Alamy is trying to be helpful in relation to the IM and to gain useful information for itself regarding order of tags and the weight to give to the order, or other treatment of metadata.  There is a material difference, in that Lightroom exports keywords in alphabetical order, whereas Photoshop/Bridge will leave the order alone.  If Alamy sees that a significant proportion of contributors are using Lightroom, maybe the information will be useful to allow Alamy to decide whether or not to tailor the IM and search engine to reflect the prevailing method of metadata input.  My guess is that Alamy is not interested in the software used for RAW conversion or how many non-mainstream applications are used, since it is not relevant to Alamy's business model. 

Just my guess, probably completely wrong, and we will end up seeing a blog about the subtleties of RAW conversion output or other non-metadata issues.

BTW, I mainly use Lightroom, which received my vote in the poll, although I sometimes use Photoshop for edits I cannot achieve in Lightroom.

Graham

What a bunch of moaning minnies. ;) Just answer the question as best you can or don't. It's not that important at the end of the day. lol  :rolleyes:  :P  :)

Actually I think it is a very interesting topic and well worth discussing seriously (that is the scientist in me talking). If you think this is moaning, what do you call the threads on the AIM :) ?

For me, just out of interest I would like to know how a wide group of photographers such as we have here process images in 2017. But because the survey hasn't been devised very well, the information really isn't that meaningful. It should be possible to devise a survey where you can answer accurately without having to interpret what was meant - the fact that people are putting their own interpretation on what was being asked greatly diminishes its value. And it should be possible for everybody to provide an accurate answer - in other words it should cover all possiblities which this definitely doesn't. Even asking which you prefer rather than which do you use is open to misinterpretation.

Is PSE included in Photoshop or is it just the Photoshop cloud subscription?

Allan

Not covered here but closest approximation would be both equal I would surmise. I think LR + PS Elements should have been added as another option as I know from this forum that a lot of people use these in combo.

Yes! Me for one. :)

Allan

Archived