By the looks of it, 2016 is going to be a very good year for me when it comes to total number of sales. After a big slump in 2015, I'm now only a handful of sales away from my best year (2014) total.

However, when I look at the average price per image, it's a totally different story. Without mentioning actual prices (not a good idea), my average price per image for 2016 is currently down about 38% from 2014.

I don't want to sound like a whiner, but this is a disturbing trend. Are others seeing the same decline in PPI? Again, not a wise idea to quote actual prices.

For me, a big culprit is the very noticeable drop in the number of $100+ sales. They used to lift up my average price and help balance out the really low licenses.

Yes the sad relative demise of the 3 figure sale has much to answer for. My only 3 fig lease in recent months turned out to be a distributor sale.

Yesterday I welcomed a reasonably high 2 fig sale only to see it refunded today and sold again at half the amount.  Not amused.

I am ahead on sales compared to last year, but don't think I shall make last year's total $.  Of course should a brace of $x00 or one $1000+ lease be delivered by Father Xmas next month, all will be well....

Textbook sales do not really dry up. They just shrank. I still have Book-Education licenses come in semi-regular bases. But they are all $89, $99, instead of $180, $250 in the past. Three digit sales are endangered species now a days.

Textbook sales do not really dry up. They just shrank. I still have Book-Education licenses come in semi-regular bases. But they are all $89, $99, instead of $180, $250 in the past. Three digit sales are endangered species now a days.

Right, I think that we can safely upgrade (Or is it downgrade?) them to "critically endangered species" now. B)

The big drop for me in gross rpi was last year: 

• 2014: 80% of 2013 gross rpi
  • 2015: 45% of 2013 gross rpi
  • 2016 so far: 40% of 2013 gross rpi

The real problem this year has been volume. I think the decline in textbook sales may have affected that as well as the revenue per image. Alamy barely covers my expenses now, whereas it used to be reasonably profitable. 

However, there seems to be some positive news on the forum and things seem to be turning around for some - that's the impression I'm getting, anyway. So maybe we turning the corner! 

David. 

As I reported a couple of months ago, PPI has fallen off a cliff this year. Taking 2013 as the benchmark:

2013 Number of sales 100%  PPI 100%

2014 Number of sales 117%  PPI 85%

2015 Number of sales 125%  PPI 163%

2016 Number of sales 167%  PPI 33%

Alan

Just for comparison. Again 2013 benchmark.

2013 sales 100% PPI 100%

2014 sales 160% PPI  69%

2015 sales 220% PPI  68%

2016 sales 380% PPI  59%

Allan

Average prices here with Alamy are up for me. But volume is down, so it looks like 2016 will be my 3rd best year here.

Interestingly, the other day I worked out my Rate Per Image (RPI).

A very BIG difference between here (unedited non-exclusive collection), and a RM tightly edited exclusive collection elsewhere.

I know which one deserves more focusing on.....

Archived