Your favorite images you have uploaded to Alamy in October '14

NYCat

I have uploaded a couple of examples of animal behavior...

Portrait_of_cute_laughing_Cheetah_Cub_wi

E8B12H  Cheetah cub laughing....

Well, of course, he is yawning but it sure looks like a big laugh. Animals sometimes yawn when they are nervous. If that grizzly bear mom starts looking bored it is time to slowly retreat.

Young_adult_tagged_Polar_Bear_Ursus_mari

E8B12N  Polar Bear sniffing the air...

Polar bears have a remarkable sense of smell. They don't see terribly well but some people say they can smell a seal from 20 miles away. If a seal is under the ice they need to be as close as a mile. In this case he was probably smelling us. Fortunately, we were on a ship. I have walked near grizzlies but polar bears are really scary even though they are the ones that look cute.

Paulette

Midnight sun on Skjerstadfjord near Fauske, Norway above the Arctic Circle, a scan of a slide taken in 1969.

Midnight_sun_on_Skjerstadfjord_near_Faus

Detail of Sigurd slaying Fafnir, Sigurd Stone, Ramsund, Sweden, digital image taken in August.

Sigurd_Stone_Ramsund_Sweden_140812_62009

One of four shots uploaded showing preening behaviour of a small, female, UK hoverfly.  She's about 8mm / 1/3inch long and hung around for long enough while cleaning herself with her front legs to allow me to get a sequence of shots.  Taken September 2013 and may never sell - but I like it.

Preening_behaviour_of_a_small_UK_hoverfl

I was in Calgary, Alberta Canada for about 36 hours last week.  I only got about two hours of free time - one was spent eating dinner, the other walking around downtown with the camera (while looking for a place to eat).  I ran across Juame Plensa's "Wonderland" sculpture in the plaza outside the Bow Building.  It was breathtaking. This is how I saw it....

Juame_Plensas_12-meter_white_metal_sculp

Here's a favourite image from the 1980's shot on film that I uploaded a few days ago. This perspective would be virtually impossible to get today because visitors to these ancient Mayan ruins are no longer permitted to climb the pyramid that I took it from, plus the archaeological site has now been extensively "restored." Brings back fond memories of many trips to Mexico before all the cruise ships arrived.

View from the top of the Pyramid of the Magician, Uxmal, Yucatán, Mexico

Nunnery_Quadrangle_from_the_top_of_the_P

A couple or three from me.

man_and_woman_relaxing_in_sunshine_with_

Relaxing with newspaper.

Silhouette_of_Kings_college_gate_spires_

Kings college Cambridge in late afternoon sun.

Shop_window_dummy_peering_over_window_fr

Threatening look.

Allan

Archived