Thanks - oldest sale...

So stock photos have no lifetime ? 

I thought it was difficult to sell anything after two years on a stock site...

I started shooting in 1978 and I sell a lot of my old images from film and digital on my sites and other agencies including Alalmy. This week about $1700,not from Alamy though.

L

No, Alan, it was a (zoo)m - not, as these were the wild Gib apes, which may be the property of the Crown or something, but fair game for RF which this has been from the start back before I knew the reasons to pick RF or L. Oddly enough these older RF images have often secured very decent fees despite being small files.

David

From the first batch of images I uploaded to Alamy, in 2002, a $152 sale today. From a Dimage 7 5 megapixel camera, image not culled or updated.

A1D122.jpg

David

The Dimage 7 was a great camera and my Alamy sales have paid for the camera several times over. Shame about the rotten battery life though. 

Actually, the original raw files do go up to 24MB perfectly - the lens was one of the best ever made, and remains hard to match, they didn't need to change it for the A1, A2, A200 either. I have a few Dimage 5 files, only from raw, which were even smaller and a couple of those have sold. Regrettably I only shot a dozen or two raw files in the entire time I had that camera as they took 30 seconds to save - the JPEGs I took look good but are of no use for Alamy or any other library.

David

From the first batch of images I uploaded to Alamy, in 2002, a $152 sale today. From a Dimage 7 5 megapixel camera, image not culled or updated.

A1D122.jpg

David

The Dimage 7 was a great camera and my Alamy sales have paid for the camera several times over. Shame about the rotten battery life though. 

I had that camera,couldn't agree more on the battery life.Beautiful shot!

I too frequently license images that are over 10 years old. In my case I really need to go through some of my old images and delete them since equipment and tactics used in those old photos are now obsolete. On the other hand, if they keep on being attractive to buyers I might as well leave them up there and simply add something in the description field about the fact that the buyer is looking at an image made in 1998 (or whenever the old image was created) to ensure that the buyer knows the equipment, tactic etc might be outdated.

I have always been surprised regarding how little photo buyers actually know about the topics they are illustrating. Quite frequently do I find myself educating researchers, ADs, etc. about things in law enforcement or prisons that are basic, common knowledge. The fact that most photo buyers I've come across know next to nothing about the topic they're working on makes me wonder how many mistakes the publication will have. Often there are quite a few...

I too frequently license images that are over 10 years old. In my case I really need to go through some of my old images and delete them since equipment and tactics used in those old photos are now obsolete. On the other hand, if they keep on being attractive to buyers I might as well leave them up there and simply add something in the description field about the fact that the buyer is looking at an image made in 1998 (or whenever the old image was created) to ensure that the buyer knows the equipment, tactic etc might be outdated.

I have always been surprised regarding how little photo buyers actually know about the topics they are illustrating. Quite frequently do I find myself educating researchers, ADs, etc. about things in law enforcement or prisons that are basic, common knowledge. The fact that most photo buyers I've come across know next to nothing about the topic they're working on makes me wonder how many mistakes the publication will have. Often there are quite a few...

Like the one in this story - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2731106/Don-t-disturb-pregnant-panda-Pilots-told-not-fly-Edinburgh-Zoo-noise-Tian-Tian-expecting.html

Captioned as Edinburgh Airport despite the huge writing on the building saying Birmingham Airport :)

Well done David on your sale. Cracking shot.

Like the one in this story - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2731106/Don-t-disturb-pregnant-panda-Pilots-told-not-fly-Edinburgh-Zoo-noise-Tian-Tian-expecting.html

Captioned as Edinburgh Airport despite the huge writing on the building saying Birmingham Airport :)

Well done David on your sale. Cracking shot.

Absolutely Alex!

For me it's mainly publishers gets individual prisons confused. For example I've had plenty of times when US Penitentiary Leavenworth has been used to illustrate articles about the military prison at Leavenworth. Granted, the two are pretty darn close but there's a huge difference.

Other than that people mix up sheriff's office with police department, federal agencies with local. Most common is that photos of the tactical teams from the Street Narcotics Unit in Kansas City are used to illustrate pieces on FBI's HRT, DEA and ATF search warrants and similar. It happens I guess and as long it is on that level I don't really care as long as I get paid...

This week I sold one of a scanned slide I took long before I started with Alamy. 35mm, cheap scanner, someone wanted it.

AANT6X.jpg

Hard to tell from this but as scans go, this looks like a very decent scan! Nice tonal range.

Thanks - and I didn't have to worry too much about dust spots - I could just pretend they were more distant swifts

This image was taken in May 1968 and scanned from a Kodachrome slide.  It was my third image to be licensed--a year after I joined Alamy in 2008.

Young simitci Simit seller at the Kucuk Esat Pazar Ankara, Turkey

B30B3W.jpg

Archived