Your Favorite Location?

For those of us who do not enter the monthly photography competition, just what is your favorite place? Not just a place to snap pictures but your favorite place to visit, your favorite place all around?

San francisco lived and worked there for just over a year in the 1980s loved every minute of it from there I use to fly to Las Vegas about once a month. I go back about once a year and still enjoy it.

Well, I've entered the competition, so I hope you don't mind me barging in.

I loved New Zealand when I spent time there some years back.  'Tramping' round the South Island in spring was a joy, most especially the Dart-Rees track and Stewart Island. Really back to nature - would do anything to return some day!

My favorite place to be is Tel Aviv.  Use to hang out in Busker's Bar which had a sign over the front door saying, "We Cheat tourists and Drunks."  I still have a photo of all of us (foreign photo journalists) drinking beer at the bar with our gas masks pulled up during a missile warning.  Early 1990's.

I suppose I should add my own 2 cents: Rome, Paris, Copenhagen, Seattle, Rio, Key West and Oxfordshire. Yes, that's more than one place; I should have said 'places' instead of 'place,' as many forum folk have taken the question that way.  :)

Rome remains my emotional home, though it's an odd place and not always an easy place to live. This city would be great if only they could get it together and solve some of the basic problems (traffic in the city, for example). Eventually you come to realize that the Romans will never solve their problems . . . and the city would not feel right if they did so.

Paris is perhaps the very best city on Earth and when I'm there all I want to do is walk aimlessly without a guide book or sit at a tiny table in a cafe and watch others walk aimlessly.  Dolce far niente, the Romans would call it: doing sweet nothing. Sorry, I speak no French . . . but I do enjoy listening to others speak it all around me. Seattle, a smaller American city, just feels right. But I've not been there when it was raining all the time . . . hmm. 

Copenhagen feels right too. And Rio is simply unique, with jungles and mountains in the city proper. The beach is Rio's living room so rich or poor, all Cariocas go there everyday. Key West is another place for dolce far niente. Too warm, too directionless for me to live there, but it is fun to drop in for a few days. Most of the time in England I lived in Woodstock, 25 minutes north of Oxford. I lived in a few smaller villages as well. Woodstock is self contained, that is it's a small village but there is a selection of restaurants, pubs and shops, so one has all the basics one needs. 

I've been to 57 countries, some several times, and I was an expat for 16 years. There are some places I meant to go, almost did, but never got it done. Cinque Terre is one. New Orleans and Havana are others. And oddly, I have never been to Greece.  :rolleyes:

Berlin, best city on earth and forever evolving which keeps photography interesting. But I do know what you mean about Paris Ed, that is a fantastic city to wander and get lost in. 

Damn, I missed out on Prague, too!

Now Berlin was an unexpected delight, a total surprise, a very different place than I thought I would find. Like most older Americans, I "knew" the Berlin of WW2 and the Cold War, dark alleys and suspicious looking fellows with sinister agendas. What I found instead was a very green city, a city of parks with a long boulevard with cheerful cafes that reminded me of Paris. And this was before the wall came down. Can't say I embraced the beer with the raspberry syrup though.

:)

ah I love the red Berliner Weisse, but hate the green version flavoured with woodruff! Berlin is usually very different to what most people expect and I have not yet found a visitor that disliked the city. I hadn't really compared it to Paris before, but yes you are right. If I hadn't emigrated from England to Berlin then Paris would also have been at the top of my list of places I want to live.

Callie, don't know the 'green version.' I avoid green beer here on Saint Patrick's Day.  Yes, I'm Irish, but not that Irish. 

My son is living in Germany now, working for the Warwick bass people up near the Czech border. He lived in Paris and worked with a French fusion group, Pierre Moerlen's Gong. Hansford Rowe.

My son is living in Germany now, working for the Warwick bass people up near the Czech border. He lived in Paris and worked with a French fusion group, Pierre Moerlen's Gong. Hansford Rowe.

I remember Gong. Went through several incarnations if I remember correctly.

Alan

Yes, Alan, you are remembering correctly. Hanny was on Espresso II and all the albums after that. The group used to tour with Mike Oldsfield. Hanny formed Gongzilla later on and his latest album is as HR3. He's my ex-stepson, but we remain close. I taught him to play guitar when he was a kid. Then he passed me by and left me in the dust. :wacko:  

Yes, Alan, you are remembering correctly. Hanny was on Espresso II and all the albums after that. The group used to tour with Mike Oldsfield. Hanny formed Gongzilla later on and his latest album is as HR3. He's my ex-stepson, but we remain close. I taught him to play guitar when he was a kid. Then he passed me by and left me in the dust. :wacko:  

M.O. . . . rings a bell . . .

Ed, of recent times I freely confess to certain parts of Manhattan being very high amongst my most recent favourite places. And Hong Kong. And Concord Ma.

EDIT: Ed, tried PM, but apparently you're not able to receive any . . . ?

dd

I'm with Julie - there are so many places to visit, each with that special something. I have many favourites and hope to discover many more in the future.

Special for me are Valencia, Budapest, Jerusalem, Paris, Istanbul Luxor, India, Vietnam, Hong Kong - the list goes on and on.

dov

I have been fortunate to travel to many places with my photography, research and academic work. Can't say i have a favourite but fell in love with them all when I was photographing. I don't mean 'stock' work but the various landscape projects that have kept me busy for nearly fifty years.

I suppose because I tend to concentrate on the prosaic, out of the way aspects of all these places and have spent time in most, I have managed to become very attached to them all. Add to that the myriad of local contacts I have made in those places in the academic and art gallery world with my work and exhibitions has given me many unique local insights to the places I have been.  Travelling around with a 10" x 8" camera and its associated baggage sort of attracts attention and breaks the ice in strange places sometimes. This allows me to bring back many great memories and stories in addition to the photographs. 

Having said all that, I also love my native Wales and still love the projects I am doing here. Three on the go at the moment plus preparation for a proposed major retrospective exhibition. 

For anyone who might be interested there are images and stories on my website and blog:

http://www.pete-davis-photography.com

http://peteslandscape.blogspot.co.uk/

Archived