Following on from another thread.

With my "limited keywording" I am achieving VIEWS equivalent to 45% of my total number of images on Alamy.

It would be interesting to hear what others are achieving according to their keywording ethic.

Allan

Last month 175%

over last twelve months averaging about 120%

(views/size of collwction) X100

My keywordingh is fairly minimal. I was actually thinking of expanding it a little as some of the more successful here seem to be using a lot more. I'm wondering if the old advice about keeping CTR high is still relevant with the reduced number of zooms.

About 1/image/month. Half what it was before a year's tighter keywording and deletion of most comps. CTR up but no effect on sales.

One still gets quite a few results of a couple of images which are irrelevant because of chance combinations of words. I'm not sure what to do about them; they're over half the searches and about 20% of the image results.

My views are going up markedly (I gather that this is the case with many since the changes a few months back), and it was getting quite scary as the zooms weren't keeping pace!  Zooms are starting to catch up now, I'm pleased to say, with a best ever ctr.

Current 'rolling month' views/imgs online*100 = 115% with a ctr of 1.00.  I started out keywording extensively, but have now trimmed that back markedly unless it's really warranted.  With my minimal portfolio, there's far too little to get any useful statistical info. and (in my case, at least) the Alamy changes make it even more impossible to judge what works and what doesn't!

Around 100% views per image overall and about about 115% per image on my main Pseudo for me.  I too try to be thorough but focused on the main elements of the photo when keywording.

Frankly I don't see the deduction of any of this since the numbers are changing all the time. I think I have doubled my collection in the past six months or so. I get views and zooms and sales. I use the minimalist approach to key wording. 

On average 330% per image per month for the last 12 months.

Averages differ greatly between pseudos however.

The amount of keywords I use, range from 10 to all boxes filled to the brim depending on image and subject.

wim

Presently getting about 200% views per month c/w images on sale - (note that prior to improving from p4 to p2 on BHZ, and also the move by Alamy to make 120 images per search the default it was about 140%)

Kumar Sriskandan

On a monthly basis, my views/image ratio has varied recently from 44% to 115%. It's important to note that there are a lot of variables that contribute to this statistic besides keywording, though, making it difficult to find meaningful comparisons across different contributors. One variable is the popularity of the subjects you shoot: If your collection consists entirely of hundreds of photos of a single species of parasitic wasp, you probably won't see nearly the same activity as someone shooting much more popular subjects. Alamy rank also plays a role: The higher your rank, the more views you get. The amount of traffic Alamy gets is another variable: My 44% month was this past December, and I've noticed drops in views every December since I started keeping track (2009).

In spite of all these variables, I've found this to be a useful statistic for measuring the amount of interest in my own collection over time. Back in 2009, I was more consistently over 100%, even hitting 150% one month (with a collection of 300 to 400 images). In April of 2010, my views/image/month crashed (along with zooms and, heartbreakingly, sales). My Alamy Rank was very consistent over this time (at least as measured by BHZ), I didn't change my keywording practices, and All of Alamy certainly didn't see a corresponding drop in activity at that time, so I'm left with a sudden drop in interest in the particular subjects I shoot as the only explanation. As I see it, these are the perils of having a small and not very diverse collection: My best explanation for the drop is that one or two customers were accounting for a significant portion of all the activity I was seeing, and they retired, moved to other jobs, or otherwise stopped searching for my subjects around that time. I've never entirely returned to my pre-2010 views/image levels, though I've seen a boost (as most of us apparently have) with the switch to 120 images/page as the default view for buyers. More photos on the first page = more views (even if many buyers never scroll down to view some of those photos).

If you are most interested in the effectiveness of your keywording, a better approach is probably to check the keywords that result in views daily to get a feel for what proportion of them are appropriate and what proportion are the inevitable irrelevant hits Mark Dunn mentioned earlier. I have some panther chameleon photos shot on a black background, but I long ago eliminated "black background" from the keywords for those photos because I was seeing too many hits for "black panther." Some of these things are unavoidable with certain subjects, and it's probably not possible to say what the ideal balance is, but if you're not getting any hits that look irrelevant, perhaps you're not keywording heavily enough.

Interesting topic Allan - have gone over my my pseudos and find following averages per month over a sample of last 12 months. Have not adjusted for uploads during this period so figures understated.

Main pseudo RM     117%   sales 0.10     CTR  0.50

Main pseudo RF      174%   sales 0.14     CTR  0.49

Secondary pseudo  166%   sales 0.12     CTR  0.46

Rubbish pseudo        62%   sales 0.05     CTR  0.40

I tend to keyword a lot where I think it would be helpful.

dov

Many thanks for all the interesting replies. This post came about because of a discussion on another thread.

I tend to keyword by what I see in an image, and do not add in lots of what might be construed to be "inappropriate" words.

Rarely do I utilse fully the 350 character space allowed in the Esskey and Main keyword boxes. I don't really know why the Comprehensive keyword box is there. Could only see it being used if there were masses of detail/interest within an image, but then it would be difficult to see as a thumbnail.

However, from your replies, it may appear that I need to try harder with finding more keywords to "grow" my views. But would not like this to be detrimental to my CTR by including "inappropriate" words.

Today my "views" stand at 47% of 1430 images. CTR is 0.43 with AoA @ 0.53. Zooms 3. Sales 0.

Do not get me wrong, I have made sales in the past.

COULD/MUST DO BETTER?

Allan

Archived