HI there, Im in the process of sorting out equipment ready for the coming 'season' and am coming around to the perennial issue (for me anyway!) of camera straps... I never seem to be able to get one that Im happy with... theyre either too short, too narrow, they are uncomfortable, and they are ugly (!).  Im happy to spend some money, and it seems to me that they become quite 'personal' after a period of time. Leather? Canvas? coloured or plain? wide or narrow? what sort of fittings? wrist or neck straps? blimey what a lot to think about! I realise that lenses and bodies should take up my (limited!) head space, but Im happy in that department... any thoughts from you lot? cheers and have a good week all...

www.markboltonphotography.co.uk

In the final days of my film photography I bought a Kenro neoprene strap for use with a medium format camera.  It transformed the feel of the camera, absorbing shock and making carrying the camera so much more pleasant.  Now that I am using a Sony NEX the camera weighs so little, it's no longer a concern. II would recommend the Kenro for comfort if you still carry heavy gear, but I couldn't comment on durability as mine saw very little use.

Depends what you wear. Finding that rubber sticks to a leather jacket I now favour, so I couldn't swing the camera from hip to eye very quickly, I went back to the thin woven strap from my A1 without the shoulder pad. Works fine but I don't carry a lens above 200.

A55. Not a weighty item.

Cheers Geoff... hope all well?? I do use a tripod most of the time, but I have a variety of carry-round cameras (XPro1 just purchased!) too... I'll check out the Op Tech. M

Busier than ever, went back into also doing commissioned work and loving it!! I like having a release on the strap so that if needed I can take it off without having to undo the fastening to the camera. I find the Optechs don't slip and don't break which is nice - mine's many years old and really not showing much wear at all.

I'm now a mile down the road from Foggy Bottom - I obviously don't shoot there but if you are in area on one of your trips.

Thanks for all the comments so far... keep em coming! 

Geoff... yes, Im afraid that stock doesnt keep the wolf from the door anymore... I really miss the fat Corbis checks each month! so I too am back doing the comm work, have been for about four years now.  I love it too, but still prefer my own targets/projects... those pesky clients dont really know what they're talking about do they?!  ;-)

In the final days of my film photography I bought a Kenro neoprene strap for use with a medium format camera.  It transformed the feel of the camera, absorbing shock and making carrying the camera so much more pleasant.  Now that I am using a Sony NEX the camera weighs so little, it's no longer a concern. II would recommend the Kenro for comfort if you still carry heavy gear, but I couldn't comment on durability as mine saw very little use.

Totally agree. The effect of Neoprene straps has to be used to be believed: their flexibility absorbs all shocks (instead of your trapezius), the camera really does feel considerably lighter. I wouldn't be without one for quids, especially so if I suffered any sort of shoulder and/or neck pain after carrying a large camera around for a day.

dd

For my hefty 5DM2 I like this one, it keeps the weight on the shoulder and off the neck, plus quick access to the camera. Maybe there's a men's version.

Black Rapid Womans Camera Strap

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Rapid-Womans-Camera-Strap/dp/B003OXOV1O

For my little NEX 6 I only use a wrist strap.

I use a field harness designed for binoculars that I purchased in a outdoors store.

Mine is cheaper but designed like this

Upside is, cheap, comfortable as takes weight off your neck and puts it on your shoulders, not hot and sweaty in tropics

Downside is, can only carry one camera at time, slow to put on and take off, so you end up wearing it at all times. Camera must hang down lower than other straps, because you need to have room to turn camera when in hand held portrait mode.

I have added quick release buckles to my strap and my camera so that I can disconnect the camera quickly when on a tripod or stowing the camera in a case. I keep wearing the strap until shooting session over. No padding but the most comfortable strap I have ever used.

It has to do what camera and lens you're using, no? How big you are, how strong you are, how clumsy you are???

On my new, small Sony NEX cameras, I use a wrist strap. With my Nikon DSLR's I used the UpStrap for a good while, but began to find them getting in my way: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/accessories/upstrap.shtml

http://www.upstrap-pro.com

On my newest Sony RX10 I use the strap that came in the box. 

I still use and value the UpStrap for my smaller shoulder bags; it allows a bag to just sit where I put it, no adjusting or shifting around. 

Camara straps are too personal for one human to advise another about. Good luck. 

I think this is a personal preference type thing.  I like something that sticks on my shoulder and doesn't slide off.  Domke straps are made similarly to how the straps on their camera bags are made - with rubber interwoven into the strap.  That's great in the winter but it can tear up your neck in the summer if you wear the strap around your neck...if you just use your strap like you would a shoulder bag, then you're fine.

The straps that came with my 5D bodies work fine when used like a shoulder bag rather than around the neck - and they don't tend to slide down my shoulders.  I don't have a problem with pain related to weight even when attached to a 70-200.

I use a 1" Domke Gripper strap on my X-Pro 1.  It works for me.

For my x100s, I opted for just a leather Tap & Dye wrist strap.  It was very pricey but I absolutely love it because I can slip the camera in a pocket and not worry about the neck strap getting in the way.  Makes things very easily accessible.

I've considered Wapiti Straps as they come highly recommended but I've not tried them yet.

http://www.wapitistraps.com/

• 4 months later...

Archived