How was your February 2024?

After my shocking January, things could (almost) only get better, and happily they did: 10 sales and 1 infringement ($116/46) thanks to Kay Roxby who found a book with many unreported images, total $249/$100 net.

• Love 2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, mwakeling said:

When I did a search for baby giraffe (I have uploaded some images a month ago), I get images of baby giraffes, blurry graffes, diapers(?) and babies with giraffe hats, and absolutely nothing of mine after going through 12 pages. Time to go diving and forget about all this!

Don't be disheartened - you have some very good images in your collection.

1. When I search for Baby giraffe your older two images come up on page 1 and page 3 of the search. That is because you have the phrase "baby giraffe" in both the keywords and the caption. This helps image placement. In your more recent images "baby giraffe" as a two word phrase does not appear in the caption. 

2. Make sure important search terms are super-tags in your keywords

3. Wildlife images are among the most difficult to sell as there are a lot of extremely good professional wildlife photographers selling on Alamy

4. "baby" , although it should appear in the keywords is not the best way to keyword these images - The most important keyword I believe, is "young" and you haven't got this in your keywords or captions at all.

Good luck!

Kumar

• Love 1
  • Like 5

74 for $1514 gross, plus $100 income for incidental payments. Two in the $$$ bracket, both at $175 to a North America editorial book.

126 zooms, CTR 0.72

Kumar

• Love 3
  • Like 4

7 for $223 highest low $$$ and an unauthorized use for upper $$

I also technically hit 7,000 photos in my portfolio but the portfolio didn’t update on the 29th February.

• Love 3
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Alexander Hogg said:

2 for just under $9 well down in price compared to 2 sales for nearly $39 Last year

Got a bit of rethinking to do this year  

Keep uploading and learn from your images that have sold and take more like them, good luck don’t give up!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Just now, Normspics said:

Keep uploading and learn from your images that have sold and take more like them, good luck don’t give up!

I agree Have taken a step back at the moment and a lot that has sold has been random shots rather than planned Have thought about giving up again but will keep going 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alexander Hogg said:

I agree Have taken a step back at the moment and a lot that has sold has been random shots rather than planned Have thought about giving up again but will keep going 

Hi Alexander,

I think I have said it before, hang in and keep going! Your portfolio is growing and strangely enough those 'random' shots do sell. I get surprised at some of mine that sell but I do always try to remember to ask myself - who would buy this picture? It sometimes helps....

Jim.

Edited by Broad Norfolk
spelling!
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Alex G said:

Haven't ever made a sale. Hoping this month will be a first.

I didn't make a sale for six months after starting here, and several hundred photos, and that was back in 2009 when there were many magnitudes fewer photos on Alamy.

Edited by Cryptoprocta
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Cryptoprocta said:

I didn't make a sale for six months after starting here, and several hundred photos, and that was back in 2009 when there were many magnitudes fewer photos on Alamy.

I agree Have had 38 sales to date so slowly improving Sales started improving in November 2022 when I nearly left altogether 

13 hours ago, Steve F said:

I don't know if I'd rather have more sales or higher return per image.

Steve, it seems to me that you confuse return per image (RPI) with return per sale. The RPI is the net divided by the number images in the portfolio. Because you spend time/effort creating the image, including taking it, editing, keywording, submitting… And it is better to calculate RPI per a year, given all monthly fluctuations which greatly change the miserable values per month.

I am not ready to give up my Alamy images for pennies even though it does damage my RPI at the end. Blocking "cheap" distribution options was a reasonable compromise for me previously but not anymore...

• Like 1