How was your February 2024?

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Wildlife images are among the most difficult to sell as there are a lot of extremely good professional wildlife photographers selling on Alamy

...And tons of retired folks who are happy to supply their safari and birdfeeder images for free elsewhere 🙂

• Like 1

Very frustrated and disappointed. 15 for $86 gross. Don't know where I go from here. 🤔 Worst monthly revenue in over a year.

Edited by Sultanpepa
  • Love 2
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, IKuzmin said:

Steve, it seems to me that you confuse return per image (RPI) with return per sale. The RPI is the net divided by the number images in the portfolio. Because you spend time/effort creating the image, including taking it, editing, keywording, submitting… And it is better to calculate RPI per a year, given all monthly fluctuations which greatly change the miserable values per month.

It's just the nature of my portfolio that I tend to sell a lot of images for the size of portfolio, but return per sale is often a lot lower than for other contributors. But yes, guess the RPI is the best metric.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Steve F said:

It's just the nature of my portfolio that I tend to sell a lot of images for the size of portfolio, but return per sale is often a lot lower than for other contributors.

I remember from 2023, when I tried to calculate roughly RPI for different contributors posting their annual totals here, you were very good compared to many.

And as I said, eventually a good number of cheap sales increased the RPI. It is just a matter of a peace of mind that some of us block "cheap" distribution options.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Doc said:

Don't be disheartened - you have some very good images in your collection.

1. When I search for Baby giraffe your older two images come up on page 1 and page 3 of the search. That is because you have the phrase "baby giraffe" in both the keywords and the caption. This helps image placement. In your more recent images "baby giraffe" as a two word phrase does not appear in the caption. 

2. Make sure important search terms are super-tags in your keywords

3. Wildlife images are among the most difficult to sell as there are a lot of extremely good professional wildlife photographers selling on Alamy

4. "baby" , although it should appear in the keywords is not the best way to keyword these images - The most important keyword I believe, is "young" and you haven't got this in your keywords or captions at all.

Good luck!

Kumar

Thanks for the advice. The majority of my portfolio is made up of underwater shots, which is not quite as competitive as baby giraffes!

Distinctly average!

13 sales for $244.

Lowest; $1.59: Highest; $63.19 (although a distributor sale).

Views and zooms average as well.

John.

• Love 1

My worst on alamy in a long time - no sales!  However 1 tiny sale on their sunsetting site.  I also found an image of mine in the Telegraph last month but no invoice yet. March must be better!

• Love 1

Feb. was just OK, more than ten and a nice xxx fee for an infringement.

I would like to see Alamy putting a premium for fees on very rare or hard

to get images? but I've written and talked about that enough.

Chuck

• Love 1