Account frozen … starting to panic. Can I be terminated?

After a lengthy time of happy uploading and successful sales, I’ve hit a rough patch — quite a few submissions failed QC due to softness.

I went to the camera shop, and they said my Nikon D7000 was worn out and not focusing properly. I bought two new D7000s that were barely used and happily took them home.

Looking at a similar thread (the bird photos), I think it was actually over-processing via Topaz sharpen, so I was very careful and light on post-production. A few submissions with the new cameras passed, and I thought my bad streak was over. 

And then I began failing again. I dropped from three stars to one and then my account was frozen from uploading for 10 days. 

I'm not questioning QC's judgment as I trust them -- I just no longer trust myself. During this quiet period, I'm going to get my eyes examined. It's been several years, and I just turned 50, so an eye exam is overdue. I pray that's the issue. 

Here's the thing: I'm terrified to try again, because I read another thread that indicated my account could be completely terminated if I keep failing QC. 

And I've come to realize that this means more to me than it started out. In the beginning, I was taking care of my mom with dementia, just trying to make extra money and ease the misery of no longer working at a newspaper -- I had to give up my job to move home, so this gave me something productive to do. As sales increased, my confidence and happiness improved. I got to "know" people here on the forum and became totally #teamAlamy. 

At this point, I'm embarrassingly distraught. I try to submit my best every time. I give hours to this each day. I'm more than willing to keep trying -- buy a new camera, have laser surgery on my eyes, change my workflow -- but if I keep failing and they close my account... I was so happy here. It's all falling apart, and though it's my own fault, I feel powerless to control my fate. 

I will do anything I have to do to claw my way back up, but if I fail again in the process, will Alamy terminate my contract?

• Love 1

Carmen, you should not have to deal with so much stress. Your port looks good. Let's recheck some basics. You mentioned sharpening. I never add sharpening. I know Alamy used to ask us not to add any. Read this carefully: https://www.alamy.com/contributor/how-to-sell-images/guidelines-for-submitting-images/?section=3

Are you carefully checking your images, corner to corner, at 100%? 

Stay calm, dear. Good luck. 

Edo

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

It could be the need for new/different eyeglasses. When I was 50 I had cataract surgery (it's an issue that runs in my family having them that young - my brother & mother had them in their 40's - I'm not suggesting that's your problem at all!!!) However, it took a while after that for me to get the correct reading prescription because one eye was 20/20 with the astigmatism corrected and the other was still 20/250 with a bad astigmatism. I couldn't even wear distance glasses because of the difference, I had to wear one contact and then the reading glasses over that. At night when my eyes were really dry and I took out the contact, I had to read with the "bad" eye that could only see as far as my computer screen. I was oversharpening all the time after years of of uploading here. So it's definitely possible that correct reading glasses will do the trick! 

Alamy won't give up on you. As many other old timers on this forum can attest, when many of us started out we ended up in the "sin bin" (forbidden from uploading for too many failures) for as much as 30 days at a time. So, take a deep breath, don't lose your confidence, get an eye exam, and the 10 days will fly by in no time!

Sorry to hear of you difficult situation. A loved one with dementia is such a hard situation. It was hard when my dad had it (he's been gone 19 years now), and I lived in NY while my parents had retired to Florida. I know how much tougher it was for my mother as his caregiver and my heart goes out to you. 

You've clearly got a journalist's eye for story telling -it's obvious you've put in a lot of time and effort. So, don't worry. If you suspect you need glasses, chances are, you do. 

• Like 5

It sounds like terrible anxiety is overwheleming you because of the very difficult events in your life so that things can get blown up way bigger than they really are. You need to deal with that somehow but you don't  need to worry about Alamy cancelling your contract. That would only be in extreme cases but definitely not you. You are an accomplished photographer and your work is fantastic. The 10 day freeze is meant to teach a lesson to be more careful. It used to be 30 days at one time.

A few questions:

1. What is the main reason for failing - is it SoLD or something else?

2. What monitor are you using to check your images?

You should definitely get you eyes checked as well. You might just need reading/computer glasses. Close-up vision can deteriorate in our 40s and you might not realise it as it is quite gradual. You can even buy cheap off-the-shelf reading glasses to check this out without an eye test. Even with cataracts there is a simple solution. Like Marianne, I developed cataracts (in my 50s), possibly from too much exposure to high UV. Eventually it comes to a point where you can't see anything sharp on a screen. I had surgery (lens replacements) seven years ago and I have never looked back. I have near-perfect distance vision and I use glasses for computer/reading. If that is your problem then be assured there is a simple cure. 

In any case please don't despair. 

Edited by MDM
  • Like 6

Carmen, I'm very sorry to learn how stressed you are. As others have said you have great pics and this is a temporary problem that you will get through. 

Forum members will be pleased to help if you post some sample images and ask for feedback.

Maybe take a pause from it all for a little while when it seems to much to cope with. Have a break, take stock ( sorry! ) and come back refreshed and with the forum supporting you!

Keep smiling😀

Edited by geogphotos
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

As others have said, you already have a sizeable portfolio of saleable pix here, and Alamy will be keen for you to add plenty more. I can remember the feeling of panic, more than ten years ago, when I had a run of QC failures. I doubted my camera equipment, my eyesight, my proficiency, my own self, as you are now. I thought I was on the “naughty step”… for good. It can feel very personal to be told bluntly, in an email, that your work doesn’t meet Alamy’s requirements.

The best response, though easier said than done, is not to panic. An analogy: when a light goes out, we check whether a fuse has blown… rather than re-wire the whole house. You have already mentioned a few possible problem areas: over-processing, over-sharpening, problems with camera focusing, your own eyesight. So… an eye examination sounds like a good start. And you have already upgraded your camera. Do you have a fellow photographer who might monitor your workflow, for a couple of hours, and check your pix for critical focus?

I can’t honestly recall what I did to get over my own run of QC failures, but it was probably just tightening up my technique, and being more self-critical. A 10% all-round improvement may be all that’s required for you to feel more confident about your own abilities, and make QC issues a thing of the past…

• Like 2

I went for years without a QC failure and then suddenly had a fail for soft/lacking definition. It coincided with an invite from Specsavers for my first ever eye-test, which showed I did finally need glasses.
Even now I can work at the computer without them - I can see everything - but for editing wearing the specs does make a real difference. Let's hope that's it.
(I did get a remarkably good pair of reading glasses in Poundland - might be worth spending a dollar or two on a cheap pair just to check)

I don't know, but I doubt someone with your portfolio and years with Alamy would get frozen out completely. I suspect that's only for newbies who simply can't get the hang of it.

Edited by Phil Robinson
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, MDM said:

A few questions:

2. What monitor are you using to check your images?

Carmen, you have some wonderful images there and I hope that they are bringing rewards which would help to allow you to take a break, or at least not stress adversely over adding more. Your images are very vibrant, almost on the edge of being too strong so I'm wondering whether your monitor is a little 'dull' causing you to push the editing further than it needs to. If you have access to an alternative screen perhaps you could have a look to compare?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Phil Robinson said:

(I did get a remarkably good pair of reading glasses in Poundland - might be worth spending a dollar or two on a cheap pair just to check)

I finally succumbed to needing reading glasses about 9 months ago. As they are just reading gases and my prescription is nothing unusual, I am able to just buy them cheap off Amazon.

I agree with what others have said.. I would be surprised if Alamy would cut off someone with a proven track record. Might it be worth a quick email to contributor services to explain the situation and see if they can do anything to relax the rules (reset something on the account maybe) or maybe they might have a good suggestion?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Matt Ashmore said:

I finally succumbed to needing reading glasses about 9 months ago. As they are just reading gases and my prescription is nothing unusual, I am able to just buy them cheap off Amazon.

I bought mine as a studio prop. They looked just like Harry Potter specs and I put them in a couple of photos before discovering they were useable. The pics have sold so the pound was a good investment (and yes, they still have the Elastoplast in place) 

2A9A44W.jpg

Edited by Phil Robinson
  • Love 1
  • Like 3

Carmen.

First, a disclaimer: I am an old loser, which includes my Alamy journey that is progressively falling from a cliff after the first 2-3 months of this year. It is about the number of sales and costs. But I only once failed QC (to date), and it was my very first submission in 2009, and am commenting here from this prospective.

I want to say that I am impressed by your portfolio, I think you have a very good creative eye. However, I think some of your images are over-processed for saturation, but I do not use some fancy Eizo monitor, just sRGB Dell monitors.

As others said, please, calm down. The end of Alamy journey is not the end of life. I even wonder how much you are going to make from it to justify your camera and/or lens replacements. But I do not think your journey is going to end, your images are good!

Emotions aside, it would be helpful if you upload somewhere several full-size JPG images that failed QC (with Alamy comments on their failures) so that people from this stellar community could assess and comment.

Still, I am sure that after reading of those bird topics that you mentioned, you understand that a large fraction of comments/advices/suggestions from forum participants you should take with a large grain of salt. Some folks just like to comment and advise even in the areas where they have no experience at all.

• Like 2

Carmen,

So much good advice.  +1 to all of them.

Of all the parts of our character that we depend on,  we ask the most of the thing we call "confidence".  Is it surprising that in modern life after a while "confidence" wants to take a holiday? With your excellent portfolio, it will come back soon. Probably wearing a fetching pair of glasses!

Don't worry about the termination clause, I just can't see Alamy management signing off on that with your portfolio.

A long time ago Edo advised a newby who couldn't get through his first QC to "shoot a can of soup, f8 and a tripod". Don't take it literally, please don't, but approach your next submissions like that to rebuild your reputation.

Take care.

🦔

• Like 1

My husband & I bought two D7000s when they came out. The first thing I noticed was the colors, I absolutely loved the colors, coming from the D300 then D800.

The second thing I noticed was how soft the images were. I began failing QC no matter what I did. Probably about 50% fails. I tried my husband’s D7000 and it was only marginally better.

I went Fuji (now have X-T4) some years ago, and passing QC is a breeze. There are a lot of great cameras out there, not just Fuji.  Based on my experience, I would never recommend the D7000 to anyone.
And before I’m jumped on, yes, I realize there has to be some good D7000s out there, but I don’t like the odds of finding one.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

A long time ago Edo advised a newby who couldn't get through his first QC to "shoot a can of soup, f8 and a tripod". Don't take it literally, please don't, but approach your next submissions like that to rebuild your reputation.

I quite often shoot a can of soup at f8 with my camera on a tripod... and such shots do sell for me from time to time.

2PJGR2M.jpg

Edited by Matt Ashmore
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Based on my experience, I would never recommend the D7000 to anyone.
And before I’m jumped on, yes, I realize there has to be some good D7000s out there, but I don’t like the odds of finding one.

Lol.. my main camera is a Nikon D7000.. and was used to shoot the can of soup that I just posted 🙂

• Like 2

8 hours ago, cksisson said:

I went to the camera shop, and they said my Nikon D7000 was worn out and not focusing properly. I bought two new D7000s that were barely used and happily took them home.

These are crop frame cameras right? If the camera wasn't focusing correctly then did you check your lens/lenses? What lens are you using?  A DX lens?

If your eyesight if fine then you might want to check the lenses you use.  Incidentally why were the two new Nikon D7000's barely used? That's a thought because they came out in 2010. One barely used I could go with. But both? Who knows.

Edited by Gervais Montacute
  • Like 1

Hi Carmen

Your images are beautiful, and to have uploaded nearly 15K is a fantastic achievement given the stress you have had (I can identify, very similar circumstances).

I too have had 3 recent QC failures after having only 1 in 11 years, but I've not exactly been prolific in uploading until recently. 2 uploads were I feel due to a lens issue, not worth repairing, but the failure today for SoLD is my fault I'm sure, maybe I've become complacent and careless, and need to tell myself to be more critical and 'professional'. Not saying at all this is your issue but it is mine.

I have every confidence that you will identify what's causing your QC issues, don't give up! 

Best wishes

Elaine

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, IKuzmin said:

Still, I am sure that after reading of those bird topics that you mentioned, you understand that a large fraction of comments/advices/suggestions from forum participants you should take with a large grain of salt. Some folks just like to comment and advise even in the areas where they have no experience at all.

🤣 🤣 🤣  Didn't you comment on that thread? 

Carmen

I had my first failure about 3 months ago after nothing for 3 years.

It does knock your confidence a bit but QC were right, it was on the verge of being acceptable but not quite it seems which is fair enough.

Lots of good advice given here by some experienced and knowledgeable contributors , keep going and good luck.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Martin L said:

🤣 🤣 🤣  Didn't you comment on that thread? 

Want to cite me from there, Martin L?

I do not use to comment/advise on something that I have no confident experience with.

IK

It's not clear who this is aimed at but these sorts of snidy comments are somewhat inappropriate in a thread where the OP is issuing a genuine cry for help that clearly goes beyond the actual subject of the thread. Let's keep this thread on topic and wait for Carmen to return to provide a bit more info on why she is failing QC. If you want to pick an argument with someone then start a new thread and provide backup for what you are saying,

Edited by MDM
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, MDM said:

It's not clear who this is aimed at but these sorts of snidy comments are somewhat inappropriate in a thread where the OP is issuing a genuine cry for help that clearly goes beyond the actual subject of the thread. Let's keep this thread on topic and wait for Carmen to return to provide a bit more info on why she is failing QC. If you want to pick an argument with someone then start a new thread and provide backup for what you are saying,

👍

• Like 2

Very sorry to hear about your difficulties. I'm definitely no technical expert, but my impression is that there is a tendency among contributors these days to over-process images in hopes of making them more attractive to customers (a symptom of too much competition perhaps). Why not try cutting back on the post-processing -- i.e. just make images look "presentable" -- and see if that helps solve your QC problems. Best of luck.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, MDM said:

It's not clear who this is aimed at but these sorts of snidy comments are somewhat inappropriate in a thread where the OP is issuing a genuine cry for help that clearly goes beyond the actual subject of the thread. Let's keep this thread on topic and wait for Carmen to return to provide a bit more info on why she is failing QC. If you want to pick an argument with someone then start a new thread and provide backup for what you are saying

I am sorry that it was not clear for you. Just to clarify: it was aimed at the PO to help her not to take close some potential critical comments, as she referred previous "bird topics" where some comments from folks who never did such type or photography and never used such equipment were barely appropriate. Therefore, I consider that it was on topic. 

• Like 1