DACS Payment 2023

Hello! Can someone explain to me how these dacs payments work? I have been selling photos for several years, in very small quantities, I'm not well acquainted with the rules of this stock market. From what I understand, dacs payments concern the use of photos, e.g. on television (?), and you have to apply for these payments somewhere. However, I don't know how to know if my materials have been used in a way that qualifies for DACS payments. In previous years I received these payments automatically.

I will be grateful for clarification on the topic.

11 minutes ago, Janis D said:

Ours arrived as well, three lines of "other income" listed and no idea why it's not one sum. Does anyone know whether "other income" counts towards total sales income for Alamy's silver-gold-platinum rankings?

Other Income is excluded: only licenses count.

My DACS was just two lines - presumably as no UK TV - with one going up and one going down from last year. Overall sum was very slightly down.

13 hours ago, Janis D said:

Ours arrived as well, three lines of "other income" listed and no idea why it's not one sum. Does anyone know whether "other income" counts towards total sales income for Alamy's silver-gold-platinum rankings?

Same here, 3 payments too. Before these I was due a payment 'we'll pay you on 01 Nov 2023' (I very much doubt it!), these will boost the eventual payment. 

On 25/10/2023 at 11:36, spacecadet said:

You have to claim. It doesn't happen automatically.

Yes, Alamy do it for me but still waiting! (correction, just checked again - have now been paid more than decent $$$!). Happy days. Thx Alamy.

Edited by Jansos
Updated info

16 hours ago, Joe Gaul said:

Two lines of DACS have appeared, the first line gave me around 42% of the total but the second only gave me less than 10%. Is this normal or should I query it?

Total what? I had two lines as well with the second being smaller. Perhaps I am missing something about your question.

Paulette

On 30/10/2023 at 18:38, giphotostock said:

Still nothing here. Direct claim.

P.S. I received an email today saying that my claim hasn't been processed because I don't have a "tax certificate" on file that allows me to take advantage of the tax treaty between Canada and the UK. Rather than deal with HRMC red tape, I told DACS to process my claim and keep the 20% tax as a tip like I always do.

Edited by John Mitchell

23 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

P.S. I received an email today saying that my claim hasn't been processed because I don't have a "tax certificate" on file that allows me to take advantage of the tax treaty between Canada and the UK. Rather than deal with HRMC red tape, I told DACS to process my claim and keep the 20% tax as a tip like I always do.

Thanks John, that means a bit more in the kitty for the rest of us next year. I'll try not to spend it all at once.

Edited by spacecadet

On 01/11/2023 at 10:52, John Mitchell said:

Getting a certificate took six months the last time that I applied for one in Canada. It was expired shortly after I received it. Not worth the bother for sure.

The same story in the USA. The bother and the fee isn't worth it. I'm now having Alamy do it anyway. I figure their ability to find all uses makes up for the extra fee to them.

Paulette

• Love 1

30 minutes ago, NYCat said:

figure their ability to find all uses makes up for the extra fee to them.

When Alamy used to send out emails telling you how many licences it could claim for, I found out that it doesn't- it was only a few more, not enough to get me into a higher claim category and certainly not enough to make up for 50% commission. But as you say the bother may not be worth it- but presumably Alamy is withholding tax on all your payments?