A general malaise

I don't read anywhere as fast or as much as Betty (who does?) but I've been reading e-books for a long time now. Paulette, I even have an app that lets me get e-books from the library. I'm not sure how that's gonna work out. The app is called Libby. I buy my books from Apple because I have problems with both Bookbub and Kindle. 

Betty? $500 a year for a newspaper? That's nuts. Is it printed on silk? 

A closer look -- $500 is just $1.37 a day. Hmm. 

Edited by Ed Rooney

So it seems that he will be giving away most of his 124 billion dollar fortune in his lifetme, that will make me feel a bit better when I watch the tennis on Prime tonight.

https://news.sky.com/story/amazon-founder-jeff-bezos-plans-to-give-most-of-his-124bn-fortune-away-12747415

• Like 1

I've closed my Prime account. Nothing to do with Jeff. Too often, films I pay for won't play and ebooks don't get delivered. And I like to shop for my food, thank you. If I want something from Amazon, I'll pay the price and delivery. 

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

I don't read anywhere as fast or as much as Betty (who does?) but I've been reading e-books for a long time now. Paulette, I even have an app that lets me get e-books from the library. I'm not sure how that's gonna work out. The app is called Libby. I buy my books from Apple because I have problems with both Bookbub and Kindle. 

The quote was close to $560 a year. No Saturday paper. Monday’s paper about 6 pages, a joke. Just about big enough to line Echo’s cage. It was around $365 a year 2 years ago. Comes to $1.79 a day and Monday’s is worth about 35 cents.

I try to support brick and mortar shops as much as possible, but burnout and not driving often prevents me from being able to just go buy things in person.

Not to make this all depressing, but not being able to afford my own place limits my ability to buy hard copies things. The last place I lived was a tiny bedroom and now I am living in AirBNBs after my roommate went insane and I had to get out of there. Most of what I did own is now in storage, and between the housing crisis and inflation I doubt that will change any time soon. (got my camera gear of course lol)

• Love 3

3 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

The quote was close to $560 a year. No Saturday paper. Monday’s paper about 6 pages, a joke. Just about big enough to line Echo’s cage. It was around $365 a year 2 years ago. Comes to $1.79 a day and Monday’s is worth about 35 cents.

We subscribe to the Vancouver Sun for around $38.00 a month which adds up to about $456 per year... it's taken off our credit card each month, so we didn't`t noice how much per year it is. It was for 6 days a week print plus digital, now they've dropped the Monday print edition.and I can't seem to get used to logging in to read the news. We get our news from elsewhere, so we're talking about cancelling, but haven't done so yet. Besides the comic page, which I enjoyed, has changed so much.  Now they're just stupid.

On 14/11/2022 at 19:01, Ed Rooney said:

Paying for newspapers!!! Look at how they waste their money!!!! Oh hang on wait a minute....

• Like 1

On 14/11/2022 at 19:01, Ed Rooney said:

I don't read anywhere as fast or as much as Betty (who does?) but I've been reading e-books for a long time now. Paulette, I even have an app that lets me get e-books from the library. I'm not sure how that's gonna work out. The app is called Libby.

I use Libby too which is free through our UK library service plus PressReader also free through the library and you can leave comments on newspaper articles on it too. Most of my physical books come from charity shops (as does my wardrobe!). After a long period of waiting I've finally got an allotment which I hope in time will yield food and a good few photographic opportunities. However I lack the oomph to contribute any more images to Alamy et al.

• Thanks 2

Let's face it, the only thing that stays the same is the fact that everything changes.

Big box stores pushed out all the Mom and Pop shops.  Now Amazon and its like are walking over the big box stores.

Just think how much harder dealing with Covid would have been without all the online access?  People could shop, do business, bank and interact. The economy could still move.  Without online buying, the economy all over the world would have come to a stand still.

Online shopping allows a small business like me to compete against the big box stores on an equal level.  Impossible before online shopping. Easier for a small business to market and advertise worldwide (something impossible before online shopping) at the fraction of the cost it would have been if purchasing advertising in newspapers and magazines.

Every change has its pros and cons.  Services such as Google Home and Amazon Echo have given much more independence to the disabled and infirm.  I have 6 Echoes within voice range throughout my house, garage and shop, so if I fall and hurt myself and can't move, I can simply yell "Alexa, Call my sister".  You can't have Alexa call 911.

I still prefer to shop for my groceries and lots of other stuff.  Don't think I would want to buy clothes online. I download ebooks as not only can I have a whole pile on my tablet at once, but lots of trees aren't being cut down to make the book.  And I can afford to read more, as the cost is less.  Opens up reading to lots of people who can't afford to buy, or don't like libraries, or can't find what they want in their local library.

I stream, as out in the country I have to have Satellite and the cost is ridiculous.  With streaming, I can pick different services, watch what I want, then cancel those and get some different ones, as I don't need them all at the same time.  I also get to watch shows from all over the world.  With Satellite, I have to pay for all of them at once, even though there is no way I can watch that much stuff every month.

The only services I have all year are Amazon Prime and Sportsnet.  Prime usually always has something good and Sportsnet provides my baseball from March till Nov and then I like to watch curling (yes, curling) during the winter.  Lost interest in hockey years ago when they expanded to too many teams, although I can watch it if I want.  Throughout the year I turn off and on Acorn, Britbox, Disney Plus, Netflix and Paramount Plus.

I listen to Amazon Music as it comes with Prime.  I do have a number of mp3s I have bought that I play in the van when driving.  Do cars come with CD players anymore?

Jill

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

The newspaper has called me about 6 times trying to get me to subscribe again. While I actually got a bill offering me 52 weeks for $218, I’m told the astronomical amount when trying to confirm on the phone. They are scamming me. This morning, I received another call, was told to call customer service and the $218 would be honored if I sent a copy of the bill. NOT. Same old runaround and I'm done.

12 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

The newspaper has called me about 6 times trying to get me to subscribe again. While I actually got a bill offering me 52 weeks for $218, I’m told the astronomical amount when trying to confirm on the phone. They are scamming me. This morning, I received another call, was told to call customer service and the $218 would be honored if I sent a copy of the bill. NOT. Same old runaround and I'm done.

I've learned that the newspaper industry does NOT want to ever give quotes in terms of costs per year for print/home delivery.   They only want to talk in terms of daily of weekly costs....seems a lot less this way.  I still get The Washington Post daily and the New York Times, Sunday only, delivered.  It's a small fortune.  I try to support the print media as much as I can since my career depends on it.   I may be the only one in my neighborhood that gets the newspaper delivered....I also get access to the online versions of both The Post and The Times.  My older siblings have both stopped getting print newspapers but do subscribe to the online source, which I think is no cheaper.  Not sure about that though.  When I was a kid delivering The Washington Post (most every boy I knew had a paper route) nearly every house got a newspaper delivered.  I think back then, the daily paper was 10 cents and the Sunday was 25 cents.  Hah! Not anymore, that's for sure.

I don't subscribe to any newspapers mainly because of the high cost. Also, there's no shortage of free depressing news available online. That said, a couple of my neighbours still subscribe to print newspapers, and I'm not above taking them out of their recycling bags from time to time. Often they haven't even been read. I used to peruse real newspapers in coffee shops, but most have also stopped subscribing to them. Have to say that I miss print newspapers a lot less than I used to. They do come in handy for lining the kitchen compost container, though. 😁

I'm certainly for supporting traditional print media such as books and magazines that pay decently. Newspapers, though, I'm not so sure about. I used to do quite a bit of writing for newspapers, and very few treated their freelance contributors fairly, quite the opposite in fact.

26 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Over here (in the U.S.) you can still make a living with magazines, I invoice between $5,000 to $10,000 a month from assignments from 4 DC area magazines.

Good for you, Michael. Most of the print magazines that I used to regularly contribute articles and photos to went belly-up. Coincidentally, almost all the best-paying ones were in the USA.

4 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Good for you, Michael. Most of the print magazines that I used to regularly contribute articles and photos to went belly-up. Coincidentally, almost all the best-paying ones were in the USA.

Thanks John, it seems that the regional magazines are doing okay, it is the national mags that are really suffering.  The regionals have so much relevant content for day-to-day living in area that they are retaining readers and subscribers.  I know that will change too, I just need to hang in there for a few more years!

I'm old school, and I really don’t want to know the amount I’ve spent throughout my life on all print media. It probably would shock me. Up until 5 years ago, I subscribed to several photography magazines.

Across the world, pretty much, the cost of living has gone up astronomically the past two years. Fuel, my cell phone provider went up $10 a month, natural gas to heat my home has risen, every bill I pay has gone up and let’s not talk about food.

Tonight I had a plate of things I grew, except for a slice of bread and butter and the mushrooms.

I had this again, but this time I cut up some red bell peppers to sautéed with it. So I grew the tomatoes & bell pepper, bought the bread & butter & my son bought me a humongous batch of mushrooms.

2KF7TY1.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Celluloid Hero said:

My beloved 16 year old Honda Jazz has a CD player! It's currently entertaining me with Bat Out of Hell

We were on cassettes until 2010 when we got our current car, made in 2001. Most of the same six CDs have been in the autochanger since then.

I managed to rip CDs of most of the favourite cassettes but it's harder to find downloads now.

Edited by spacecadet

10 hours ago, Celluloid Hero said:

My beloved 16 year old Honda Jazz has a CD player! It's currently entertaining me with Bat Out of Hell

Yup, my 2003 Volvo has a cd / radio / cassette player along with a cigarette lighter and ashtray !