Confessional - senior moments anyone?

Time to fess up a bit... I keep coming up with burning questions I would like to post to the forum to get answers for. Unfortunately, my 'burning questions' evaporate as soon as I login to the forum. My mind goes blank. I have no recollection of what I wanted to ask. I know I should write these ideas down, so that I can remember the next day but it is such a faff having to write things down, isn't it?

• Love 1

I have to admit to forgetting descriptive words when talking to someone and end up saying "What is the word I'm looking for?"

Of course they do not know the answer and the harder I think the harder it is to bring it to mind. The pregnant pause does not help.

Seems to happen more often the older I get.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Love 3
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Jansos said:

it is such a faff having to write things down

Indeed so, which is why I keep one of these in my pocket... to record pic locations, shopping lists, sudden ideas, funny things I overhear, when my parking ticket is due to run out, etc (and it's on my bedside table every night).

It's cheap and cheerful... just like me.  😎

Sony ICD-30 Handheld Digital Voice Recorder for sale online | eBay

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

Indeed so, which is why I keep one of these in my pocket... to record pic locations, shopping lists, sudden ideas, funny things I overhear, when my parking ticket is due to run out, etc (and it's on my bedside table every night).

Just found out I can do that with two taps on my Iphone. But now I've got to remember that.........

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Just found out I can do that with two taps on my Iphone. But now I've got to remember that.........

I have an iPhone too, but the little Sony recorder is my go-to gadget. Press the big button... and talk...

• Love 1

49 minutes ago, Jansos said:

Time to fess up a bit... I keep coming up with burning questions I would like to post to the forum to get answers for. Unfortunately, my 'burning questions' evaporate as soon as I login to the forum. My mind goes blank. I have no recollection of what I wanted to ask. I know I should write these ideas down, so that I can remember the next day but it is such a faff having to write things down, isn't it?

i have started using a note pad on my phone.

however my main problem is i will be typing something and when i reread i find out i typed a totally different word than my thoughts, some times totally different, as if my brain goes into predictive text, which i don't have turned on.  So i almost have to look back and reread each couple of words as I type along to make sure it's what i was thinking...  and some times what is on there is totally different, not just having typed "someone" instead of "something" which i did in the 9th word of this paragraph even though my brain is convinced i had written "something" (corrected afterword) 

• Love 1

14 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

interesting.  i can't bare to listen to my voice so not sure this would work for me. 

I bet you could have it vocoded  into something more acceptable.

The new lifts at Freemasons' Hall in London had the voice of a Czech dominatrix when first installed. It must have got the brethren too excited because it's been replaced with that of a Midlands primary school teacher. Shame.

Edited by spacecadet

40 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

interesting.  i can't bare to listen to my voice so not sure this would work for me. 

No-one (except Piers Morgan and Jeremy Clarkson) likes the sound of their own voice. But you get used to it…

13 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

No-one (except Piers Morgan and Jeremy Clarkson) likes the sound of their own voice. But you get used to it…

HEY! I was going to say that but could not remember their names.

Allan

3 hours ago, aphperspective said:

Start to worry when you get in your car and "where am I driving to again".

Don't let that happen in June.

Allan

• Love 1

5 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

And then I'll worry realizing i don't even own a car.

Nearly the same getting into the wrong car, easy mistake to make 2 VW Golfs Aqua Blue side by side and left unlocked in a multi story car park. Only realised my mistake when sat in the drivers seat far to close to the steering wheel. Ho Hum moving swiftly onwards. 🙄 

• Love 1

Went trout fishing but left my reading specs in the car. Managed, with some difficulty, to tie on a dry fly and went to snip off the tag end of the line and cut the fly off instead. Re-tied the fly on the line and did the same thing again!! For the third time tied on the fly, managed to snip off the tag end of the line successfully but in doing so I also cut the wings off the b****y fly. Took a long walk back to the car to get my specs.....

• Love 2

10 hours ago, Jansos said:

I can totally relate to this!

• Love 1

My brain has always been a bit wonky. I’ve never been good at remembering lists or learning languages, but at least I could count on having two working knees to get me where I wanted to go. Now, they both seem to have "rusted," and frequently rebel mid-walk, with or without a camera. 

• Love 2

9 hours ago, aphperspective said:

Start to worry when you get in your car and "where am I driving to again".

Even worse when you get 30 miles down the road and realised you were supposed to be going somewhere else.

And the first time I did that was 50 years ago, so "moments" are not just for seniors...

Alan

• Love 2

4 hours ago, aphperspective said:

Nearly the same getting into the wrong car, easy mistake to make 2 VW Golfs Aqua Blue side by side and left unlocked in a multi story car park. Only realised my mistake when sat in the drivers seat far to close to the steering wheel. Ho Hum moving swiftly onwards. 🙄 

Ah yes. But I was young and pregnant. Too busy watching the drive-in movie screen after visiting the snack bar. Dark, of course. I noticed the difference when the seat was lower than ours, and I felt like I was falling. Two old black Fords. Then I stared astounded at the strange man, not my husband, I’d climbed in with as he stared, astounded, back at me. We never spoke as I nearly tore the door off getting out.

• Love 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Great idea but then you have to remember to put it in your pocket in the first place and then remember that it is in your pocket when you want to use it! I like the idea of two taps on the iPhone though, might work. Thanks everyone for your humour and responses. Much appreciated! :-)

• Love 1

12 hours ago, Inchiquin said:

Even worse when you get 30 miles down the road and realised you were supposed to be going somewhere else.

And the first time I did that was 50 years ago, so "moments" are not just for seniors...

Alan

is that the same like realising 7 stations from where you took it that your went the wrong way on the tube/subway/metro? as that also would not be a seniors moment for me.  

• Love 1

On 20/05/2022 at 17:35, Betty LaRue said:

Ah yes. But I was young and pregnant. Too busy watching the drive-in movie screen after visiting the snack bar. Dark, of course. I noticed the difference when the seat was lower than ours, and I felt like I was falling. Two old black Fords. Then I stared astounded at the strange man, not my husband, I’d climbed in with as he stared, astounded, back at me. We never spoke as I nearly tore the door off getting out.

I often wondered if the strange man I got in with thought one of his indiscretions had come to haunt him. 

Edited by Betty LaRue