Confessional - senior moments anyone?

On 20/05/2022 at 13:14, Sultanpepa said:

What about going to an event that was happening at 3.30 only to find it is at am and not pm. 50 mile round trip for nowt. 😬

I’ve done that too. Luckily it was the other way round so I was able to come back at 8.00pm instead of 8.00am. And I wasn’t the only press photographer to make that mistake, luckily. 

Edited by Sally
  • Love 1

I have thought about this myself when I go to car shows I like to get the year and model of the cars.  I get back home  on the computer and try to remember if that was a 32 Ford or a 34 Ford and I try to make sure I get the correct year.  Having a dedicated device to just say 1965 yellow Mustang might be nice.

• Love 1

I've always had a poor  memory, I struggled at school to memorise facts or poetry etc, so I'm not too alarmed to find that I can't always remember the names of our sons' various past partners or even present children. At work, in a largely all male environment, I referred to most people as "bonny lad".  Setting out on a car journey I have to think hard about the start of the route. Once, while walking through a train carriage, somebody said "hello Bryan", but to this day I have no idea who it was. 

I guess that I compensated by working things  out, so became more adept at subjects such as Physics which are logic rather than memory based.  In my University finals a good understanding  of dimensional analysis, MLT and the use of units meant that I could check or work out partially forgotten formulae, and that was a life saver.

In contrast my wife has always had an excellent memory and, coupled with a strong work ethic, starred at school.  We make a good team, she remembers stuff and I fix things and sort out her phone etc.

If we watch a film that we have seen before I remember the plot, while she can recall the names of actors, our brains work in mysterious ways.

Edited by Bryan
  • Love 4
  • Like 1

I spent a lot of time last night looking for my best reading glasses. I have others but the best were a little more expensive and I prefer them. My place is small and there aren't that many surfaces to set something down on. I got down and looked under the furniture. Nothing. This morning I opened a cupboard to get the eye pillow I use to put a warm compress on my eyes (helps to avoid styes). There it was and the spectacles were right next to it. I guess it makes a certain amount of sense. Eye pillow. Eye glasses. Of course they belong together. A rather poetic senior moment.

Paulette

• Love 2
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

As my mum used to say, “When you lose something, why is it always in the last place you look?”…

Very sensible mums because "the last place you look" is the last place its not lost any more. 🙂

14 hours ago, aphperspective said:

Very sensible mums because "the last place you look" is the last place its not lost any more. 🙂

Whenever you find it in your search it has to be the last place that you find it no matter how many more places there is that you need to look.

Allan

• Love 1

On 02/06/2022 at 02:44, Bryan said:

I've always had a poor  memory, I struggled at school to memorise facts or poetry etc, so I'm not too alarmed to find that I can't always remember the names of our sons' various past partners or even present children. At work, in a largely all male environment, I referred to most people as "bonny lad".  Setting out on a car journey I have to think hard about the start of the route. Once, while walking through a train carriage, somebody said "hello Bryan", but to this day I have no idea who it was. 

I guess that I compensated by working things  out, so became more adept at subjects such as Physics which are logic rather than memory based.  In my University finals a good understanding  of dimensional analysis, MLT and the use of units meant that I could check or work out partially forgotten formulae, and that was a life saver.

In contrast my wife has always had an excellent memory and, coupled with a strong work ethic, starred at school.  We make a good team, she remembers stuff and I fix things and sort out her phone etc.

If we watch a film that we have seen before I remember the plot, while she can recall the names of actors, our brains work in mysterious ways.

Bryan, I’ve always had a difficult time remembering names, but remember faces. Yet I can remember snippets as far back as when I was a year old. I can remember longer (by time) things from around three years old, stretches of several minutes of a memory.

When I worked for an Ophthalmologist, I knew the faces of our repeat patients, but with the file in my hand when I called them back by appointment time, there were the names on the folder tab. For my job, I wore medical white uniforms and nurse’s shoes.

One day while at the supermarket, of course I was in casual attire. I heard my name called, and when I turned around, there was a patient of ours, a woman. I recognized the face but not the name.

She said, “For a moment, I didn’t recognize you with your clothes on!” Then I watched her face as it immediately turned bright red as she stammered out an explanation! :D

• Love 1

19 hours ago, NYCat said:

I spent a lot of time last night looking for my best reading glasses. I have others but the best were a little more expensive and I prefer them. My place is small and there aren't that many surfaces to set something down on. I got down and looked under the furniture. Nothing. This morning I opened a cupboard to get the eye pillow I use to put a warm compress on my eyes (helps to avoid styes). There it was and the spectacles were right next to it. I guess it makes a certain amount of sense. Eye pillow. Eye glasses. Of course they belong together. A rather poetic senior moment.

Paulette

Spectacle strap.

• Love 1