Street . . . in the 21st Century

Ed Rooney

Things have changed.

It used to be pertinent to get snaps of 'people doing things.' That was Street. Now, if people are not digging a hole or standing on a step ladder, they are on their smart phone, talking, texting, or watching a video. I have that shot. We all do. How many more do we need?

Edo

40 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

How many more do we need?

Edo

This one..........China, 2010?:D

BN8PGG.jpg

The phones got bigger (or rather the cameras got smaller), maybe selfies widened the field a bit when phones became cameras too.........Wellington, 2019. 

2AJABPD.jpg2AJABPX.jpg

Porto, 2016. These three were everywhere that day.

So were we, I guess.

HCFYJW.jpg

Another Porto one. The bronze dude is Fernando Pessoa.

HDXERH.jpg

And no, I haven't licensed one.

Edited by spacecadet

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

I have that shot. We all do. How many more do we need?

I have a very few. Not really looking for any more unless it is completely unique. How unique I will not know till it happens.

Allan

• Like 1

I've seen a few that were unique enough -- camel rider taking on a cell phone, feathered and costumed Amazonian indigenous guy using a phone (not a cell phone if I'm remembering correctly, but it would probably be one more recently), and the monkey with the stolen cell phone. 

I have this one of a couple who interrupted their bike ride for the man to answer his phone, right across the street from me.

A tiny bit unique because it was a first time to see this scenario after years of mobile phone uses.

2GRX7JJ.jpg

I don't think that I've ever licensed an image of someone yakking on a phone. Do we need more? Somehow I don't think so. Nonetheless, I'm a bit of a sucker for those types of shots

Here's a recent one shot on the beach. Whatever happened to solitude?

Man speaking on his cell phone outdoors, Jericho Beach, Vancouver, BC, Canada - Stock Image

Oh no! No no no!!!!

Did my original post read like I wanted to see captures of people with cell phones? Good grief, I HATE pictures of people with their phones. And I hate selfies! The point I was trying to make (and obviously failing at) is that the constant involvement with these things is the death of Street photography. 

Edo

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Oh no! No no no!!!!

Did my original post read like I wanted to see captures of people with cell phones? Good grief, I HATE pictures of people with their phones. And I hate selfies! The point I was trying to make (and obviously failing at) is that the constant involvement with these things is the death of Street photography. 

Edo

Your post did convey the idea Edo. I don't do much street photography because 90% of the time, I'm in the wilderness. This was to demonstrate that these days, the selfie or phone obsession occurs wherever you go.

1. Were tourists at an Aboriginal show.

2. Were tourists sailing to Green Island

3. Was in Borneo with pygmee elephants.

Only last week, someone asked me if I wanted my picture taken with my camera. Hell nooooo!!

Edited by gvallee

And by the way, I own two iPhones -- an iPhone 12 mini and an iPhone 7. When I'm out, I keep one in a pocket in case I have to check a map, call Uber, or call the cops. 

Edited by Ed Rooney

1 hour ago, ReeRay said:

I shoot street minus electronics

Sale from yesterday $$$

nepal-senior-man-wearing-traditional-dau

Couple of my favourite shots

wall-art-bird-funny-thailand-street-scen

drunk-street-man-asleep-on-the-street-pa

funny-animal-cat-sleeping-at-a-beer-bar-

Love your sense of humor.

Paulette

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Oh no! No no no!!!!

Edo

Sorry, Ed.

Here's one without. My only image with a guitar in it. Porto as well. Cost me a € not yet recouped.

HCFYMH.jpg

Edited by spacecadet

2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

The trams will get you some way up though.

HDKJD4.jpg

AHhh! My favourite whisky. That was before I found I could not tolerate Alcohol any more.

Allan

5 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

And by the way, I own two iPhones -- an iPhone 12 mini and an iPhone 7. When I'm out, I keep one in a pocket in case I have to check a map, call Uber, or call the cops. 

Taking after Two Jags John Prescott huh!

Allan