Need a new iMac

10 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Person with confused face...Allan and I are joking with each other. Or was that you, Allan?

Twern't me.

Allan

35 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I’m taking the iMac in for a cleaning, today. There isn’t an Apple store here in Wichita, so I have to use the Geek Squad at Best Buy. I’m a bit nervous about it. 

Hope all goes well Betty I'm sure it will be fine 🙏

Carol

2 hours ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Hope all goes well Betty I'm sure it will be fine 🙏

Carol

Didn’t work. It says 2012 model and it is no longer supported by Apple. They refuse to open it up. Parts are no longer available for it, even though I told him I wasn’t after parts, just a cleaning. There is a 5 year span they will support it. Looks like I’m down to trying to find a shop that can do it. 😫

It would have been nice if the Best Buy representative I spoke to yesterday to make the appointment had queried the model of my Mac. It would have saved me boxing it up and loading it in my car with my rotten back. These things are heavy.

I have not had this computer since 2012, more like 2013-14. But I guess those were the models sold until 2017 came out? What do I know.

1 minute ago, Betty LaRue said:

Didn’t work. It says 2012 model and it is no longer supported by Apple. They refuse to open it up. Parts are no longer available for it, even though I told him I wasn’t after parts, just a cleaning. There is a 5 year span they will support it. Looks like I’m down to trying to find a shop that can do it. 😫

It would have been nice if the Best Buy representative I spoke to yesterday to make the appointment had queried the model of my Mac. It would have saved me boxing it up and loading it in my car with my rotten back. These things are heavy.

I have not had this computer since 2012, more like 2013-14. But I guess those were the models sold until 2017 came out? What do I know.

Shameful. What a poke in the eye. Five years is a joke.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I would think that there would be a small independent computer repair shop, near you, that would be happy to do it...just ask for a quote first for a simple cleaning.  Maybe use Yelp to search (its not just for restaurants).

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

I would think that there would be a small independent computer repair shop, near you, that would be happy to do it...just ask for a quote first for a simple cleaning. 

Exactly what I was going to say. The company I recommended to Carol is a small independent which I much prefer to these big national or multi-national companies or franchises. They have done repairs on my gear that would not have been possible or would have cost a fortune going to Apple. Of course they have to be trustworthy so reading several online reviews and getting  recommendations are advised. Search online for Mac repairs Wichita for example and you get several. Best of luck. 

• Love 2

I walked by the Apple Store just now and asked about Monday. The young man out front told me they would be open  on Monday and I could walk in to buy, trade, or anything else I need. Oh boy! 

• Love 1

@Betty LaRue When I had trouble with an old laptop and was unhappy with the job the geniuses at Apple did (still under warranty), Apple paid for me to take it to a local Apple approved shop. Older knowledgeable guy, took it apart & fixed the problem. Look for a local approved shop. The big box places seem to skew toward young kids with a good education but not necessarily experience. Good luck.

Edited by Marianne
  • Like 1

On 05/04/2021 at 14:29, MDM said:

A lot of this info is no longer relevant to the new silicon Macs. They run very very cool apparently and use very little power, the RAM is built into the chip and  so are the graphics to date. Early indications are that these machines run incredibly fast for native graphics video apps (Apple's Final Cut Pro in particular). Photoshop has just gone native but Lightroom not yet. These are the low end consumer machines so one wonders what the pro machines will do. This is all very new and is not just hype. I was going to buy one but decided to wait until later in the year probably.

So, what is relevant now? SSD I'm sure - 32GB RAM or is that less important. What kind of graphics card?

16 minutes ago, Marianne said:

So, what is relevant now? SSD I'm sure - 32GB RAM or is that less important. What kind of graphics card?

That is the big question really. Apple have made a revolutionary change in chip design and have released three consumer M1 Macs to date where the RAM and the GPU (graphics) are all on the main chip. So no separate RAM and no graphics card. Max RAM on these is 16GB and drives are all SSDs. 

People are absolutely raving about these as they are incredibly fast, with mind-blowing graphics performance, particularly for video which really taxes the graphics. This is not hype apparently. The burning question is what the next generation of prosumer and professional Macs are going to have. Will they have independent graphics cards as well as the graphics on the main chip? So the reason I said irrelevant is that the advice one would normally give about Intel Macs is outdated but the future is unknown until Apple actually release a new iMac. Rumour says that will be soon I believe. Check out M1 Macs on YouTube if you want more info. 

Edited by MDM
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, MDM said:

Exactly what I was going to say. The company I recommended to Carol is a small independent which I much prefer to these big national or multi-national companies or franchises. They have done repairs on my gear that would not have been possible or would have cost a fortune going to Apple. Of course they have to be trustworthy so reading several online reviews and getting  recommendations are advised. Search online for Mac repairs Wichita for example and you get several. Best of luck. 

I agree, when my other iMac died I took it to my very reputable local Apple authorised dealer who has got me out of trouble a few times.  Although Apple no longer made the parts he replaced the hard drive with a third party drive and he worked as good as new.  I still keep it as a back up if I need it.  I think they could have at least cleaned it for you though..... hope you get something sorted soon Betty these things make life so frustrating ...

Carol

40 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I walked by the Apple Store just now and asked about Monday. The young man out front told me they would be open  on Monday and I could walk in to buy, trade, or anything else I need. Oh boy! 

Sounds good !

Carol

• Love 1

I don't know how appropriate this is to what you need but a friend of mine here has someone come and straighten out her Mac at her place. A lot of actors and dancers here in NYC have it as a "survival" job. I'd want to find someone through Apple. This is the company she gets her guys from http://www.mymacdaddy.com  It is just New York, unfortunately, but I wonder if there is anything near enough to you. They do charge a lot but she feels it is very much worth it and has liked both of the guys she has used.

Paulette

3 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Shameful. What a poke in the eye. Five years is a joke.

Agreed.
First I chatted online with one shop, then was told “for $5 I could talk to a tech.” I backed out of there.  
I called one shop who advertises Mac repairs and was quoted $250 for a cleaning. Not on your life was I going there.

I called another place with great reviews and was quoted $75-90. 10 minutes away. My Mac is there now with a “possible” 3 days before I get it back. Of course I can’t be positive that interior dust causing overheating is the problem, but the tech guy agreed with me that sounds right.

I made it clear cleaning is all I want because I plan on buying new, and I want my funds going there. Very nice guy. If the cleaning works, y’all show up for a celebration BBQ...I’m cooking. 😉 You want ribs or burgers?

• Love 2

2 hours ago, MDM said:

That is the big question really. Apple have made a revolutionary change in chip design and have released three consumer M1 Macs to date where the RAM and the GPU (graphics) are all on the main chip. So no separate RAM and no graphics card. Max RAM on these is 16GB and drives are all SSDs. 

People are absolutely raving about these as they are incredibly fast, with mind-blowing graphics performance, particularly for video which really taxes the graphics. This is not hype apparently. The burning question is what the next generation of prosumer and professional Macs are going to have. Will they have independent graphics cards as well as the graphics on the main chip? So the reason I said irrelevant is that the advice one would normally give about Intel Macs is outdated but the future is unknown until Apple actually release a new iMac. Rumour says that will be soon I believe. Check out M1 Macs on YouTube if you want more info. 

I think I’ve read just about all of the Mac rumors. I’m excited about what you’re saying, but from what I read, 16GB Memory is it. So will 16 be enough future-proofing? Will the new chip make it run like it has 32? I would assume if the graphics performance is mind-blowing, then it should handle the demands of CC, layers, etc. is that what you think, Mick?

I could use about 20 $$$ licenses about now.

Yes, I agree Apple isn’t fan-friendly. They overcharge for the computers, then for out-of-warrant repairs (I guess, never needed a service until now) Yet they have services once you buy that are very supportive at the Apple stores.

Apple products are kind of like having an addiction. Once I got a Mac it was like, “Oh, My God” and I never wanted to go back to a PC. Most, not all, Mac users seem to feel this way. So it comes down to can you afford it, even if it means waiting and saving up? So far, I’ve managed to do it. When there is something I want really bad, I find a way. Saving, garage sales...selling my scrap gold and silver.

Right now, I have camera equipment I need to list. Earlier this month I sold two very nice reclining chairs I no longer need...there’s $400.

41 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Agreed.
First I chatted online with one shop, then was told “for $5 I could talk to a tech.” I backed out of there.  
I called one shop who advertises Mac repairs and was quoted $250 for a cleaning. Not on your life was I going there.

I called another place with great reviews and was quoted $75-90. 10 minutes away. My Mac is there now with a “possible” 3 days before I get it back. Of course I can’t be positive that interior dust causing overheating is the problem, but the tech guy agreed with me that sounds right  

That sounds good Betty. He has to take the screen right off if he is going to clean it inside so it is quite a bit of work. If it is working properly you will be able to get something for it by selling when/if you get a new one whereas selling a Mac that is crashing frequently would not be a good idea. 

18 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I think I’ve read just about all of the Mac rumors. I’m excited about what you’re saying, but from what I read, 16GB Memory is it. So will 16 be enough future-proofing? Will the new chip make it run like it has 32? I would assume if the graphics performance is mind-blowing, then it should handle the demands of CC, layers, etc. is that what you think, Mick?

The honest answer is I don’t know. Photoshop has just gone native for M1 Macs so I expect that it must run very well but I’ve been watching videos on YouTube mainly about how they run Final Cut Pro (Apple video software) which is what is getting the really rave reviews. Lightroom has not been updated yet for the M1 Macs. From what I have read, the new Macs handle RAM a lot better than the old ones but I would be surprised if 16GB is the max down the line. I am waiting for now to see what the higher end 14” MacBook Pro will be like and will definitely go 32GB if that is an option. I expect they will run fine on 16GB but that is cutting it tight for future proofing. 

Edited by MDM

1 minute ago, MDM said:

That sounds good Betty. He has to take the screen right off if he is going to clean it inside so it is quite a bit of work. If it is working properly you will be able to get something for it by selling when/if you get a new one whereas selling a Mac that is crashing frequently would not be a good idea. 

The honest answer is I don’t know. Photoshop has just gone native for M1 Macs so I expect that it must run very well but I’ve been watching videos on YouTube mainly about how they run Final Cut Pro (Apple video software) which is what is getting the really rave reviews. Lightroom has not been updated yet for the M1 Macs. From what I have read, the new Macs handle RAM a lot better than the old ones but I would be surprised if 16GB is the max down the line. I am waiting for now to see what the higher end 14” MacBook Pro will be like and will definitely go 32GB if that is an option. 16GB is cutting it tight for future proofing m

That’s what I think. 16GB is iffy. Apparently we can’t add memory on the new machine, like now. I wonder if a upgraded Apple chip down the line with 32GB comes out, it could be swapped out? If so, I’d warrant it would cost a lot more than memory of today costs since so much is on it.

Considering most creatives...movies, music, etc seem to favor Apple products, you”d think Apple would not replace the old with something that can’t handle the load. Of course, I hear there may be a PRO Mac with much better specs that costs $8000 minimum, so maybe Apple is trying to force that. If so, they could be cutting off their nose to spite their face, because the people here for the most part, can’t afford that.

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

That’s what I think. 16GB is iffy. Apparently we can’t add memory on the new machine, like now. I wonder if a upgraded Apple chip down the line with 32GB comes out, it could be swapped out? If so, I’d warrant it would cost a lot more than memory of today costs since so much is on it

That would not be possible - it would be like having a heart, lung and eye transplant all at once if they formed a single organ in the body. I think these new Macs will be a lot less easily upgraded so careful consideration will be required before purchase. The drive can be changed in the current laptops but that is not new anyway. We will have to wait and see with the rest. Getting your existing Mac running well is a good idea though so you don’t  have to buy before what you really want comes out. 

Edited by MDM
  • Love 1

It sounds like I have the oldest iMac 27, mine  was built in 2010!!!!   It has never broken down but now it takes about 10 seconds to respond when I hit the mouse or key  At night I send it to sleep at 11pm and if I am working on the computer at this time a warning panel appears telling me the computer will shut down.  Now I am getting this panel appearing when the computer is switched on in the morning at 7am.

So I am also looking for a new iMac and and there is a lot of useful information on this link to help me decide what to buy.

Of course your right, Mick.

I just wish they’d get on with the release. If I have to drive to my old city to an Apple store, so be it. About a 6 hour round trip drive, not accounting for time in the store. A long, long day, but not any longer than a normal work day.

Except I’d need to shop at Macy’s since it’s in the same mall as the Apple store! :D We don’t have one in Wichita and I like their clothing line.

Ah, Derick, don’t you just love these informative threads when you have a dog in the hunt? MDM is a gold mine when it comes to information like this. That makes at least 4 of us interested in buying a new Mac of one kind or another, maybe 5. I think Ed is going for a Mac mini.

Good luck with your purchase-to-be. 
Betty

Edited by Betty LaRue

Betty,  my 27" iMac is also a late 2012 on 16 GB of RAM. 2 years ago the H/D gave up. A local independent store fitted a Kingston SSD 512GB replacement.

All my programmes sit on the SSD leaving 350 GB free!

I place all my documents and photographs on a Western Digital DUO external drive of 6TB which is mirrored (2 x 3TB) which I was already using as a backup.

2 years later the machine is a fast as ever taking merely 3 seconds to open up either Capture One or Lightroom. 

Total cost was $100 for the SSD !

Perhaps worth a thought.

Edited by ReeRay
  • Love 1

If you're going to have the screen off anyway, adding a 512GB SSD shouldn't be that much extra.  I ordered an M.2 drive from Amazon (shipped in to Nicaragua) and installed it myself.  I think there's an M.2 slot in many of the iMacs building in the era when a fusion drive was one of the options.   Talk to your repair guy about that. 

I’ll get a new computer, so I’m not looking to spend anything else on this one except for the cleaning. It’s gotten old enough to make me nervous, now. When it shut itself off each time, I never knew it would come back on again. The fact that it did doesn’t change the fact one day it might not.

Of course, I’ve gotten old enough to make me nervous too. 😉

But good thoughts, ReeRay, MizBrown.

• Love 1

With all this talk of upgrading computers, I just had my son’s computer geek friend put in a new 4T SSD drive into the computer I use for all my photo editing work.  He built the computer about 4 years and I asked him to come by and see how he can improve it. So far it seems like nice improvement, the computer is much quieter and files move much faster!  

• Love 1