Need a new iMac

2 hours ago, MDM said:

Opening an iMac -  not a job for the techologically faint hearted?

Absolutely! I got the all-overs just thinking about it!
Lots of good advice, here. I’ll check the Apple store to see about a cleaning. Sounds like I should wait for the new machine. Ok, a kidney and a chunk of my liver. The livers do grow back, yes?

Right now, I’m copying my folders on my desktop to my two desktop HDs. I’m very sloppy about keeping too many folders on it.

I’ve made one full copy and am half done on the 2nd. What I'm doing is turning it on, copying for about an hour, shutting down. Waiting a couple of hours for a good cool down then doing another leg of it. So far it’s working. Should be finished soon.

I’ll try the vacuum bit.

edited to add...for the first 4 years, my computer was a victim of bird feather dust, I imagine. Feather dust is like airborne talcum powder settling on things.  I did keep it covered when not in use but the bottom of the cover was open. In this house, Echo has her own room and 98% of her mess is confined to that room. I have a Mitsubishi split unit in there that has a good filtering system.  Plus my computer (my office) is at the other end of the house now. But there is also ordinary house dust.

Edited by Betty LaRue

4 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Absolutely! I got the all-overs just thinking about it!
Lots of good advice, here. I’ll check the Apple store to see about a cleaning. Sounds like I should wait for the new machine. Ok, a kidney and a chunk of my liver. The livers do grow back, yes?

Right now, I’m copying my folders on my desktop to my two desktop HDs. I’m very sloppy about keeping too many folders on it.

I’ve made one full copy and am half done on the 2nd. What I'm doing is turning it on, copying for about an hour, shutting down. Waiting a couple of hours for a good cool down then doing another leg of it. So far it’s working. Should be finished soon.

I’ll try the vacuum bit.

Betty, I heavily edited my first post to respond specifically to your questions and discuss all the components in my 2019 Macbook purchase which are relevant to the same/similar components you'll want in an iMac. Also some thoughts on keeping the iMac running if you can run it as a monitor with a laptop which may not make it run as hot. 

1 hour ago, Marianne said:

So, my recommendations:

Get an SSD - I have 2TB and it is nearly full after 2 years despite hardly any shooting this year, thanks to the size of the images taken with my Sony (42TB), so a good set of backup drives is essential. I have a large LR catalog with older images on my laptop too. 

Get 32GB RAM It is truly amazing - and will future proof it. The newest updates in PS and LR really sing with it. I would not get less than 32GB.

Ask about graphic cards - they also are needed for PS and LR - and if you ever do video I believe they also make a difference but I don't remember what I learned about them when I got my last MacBook.

The processor I have runs very hot - so don't get it. Not sure if iMacs run with the same components but I assume they do - so hope my experience helps you. 

If you have a laptop you can use to run your iMac as a monitor until the new iMacs come out, give it some thought - also the older iMac prices will probably go down then. 

A lot of this info is no longer relevant to the new silicon Macs. They run very very cool apparently and use very little power, the RAM is built into the chip and  so are the graphics to date. Early indications are that these machines run incredibly fast for native graphics video apps (Apple's Final Cut Pro in particular). Photoshop has just gone native but Lightroom not yet. These are the low end consumer machines so one wonders what the pro machines will do. This is all very new and is not just hype. I was going to buy one but decided to wait until later in the year probably.

Edited by MDM
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Marianne said:

Betty, I heavily edited my first post to respond specifically to your questions and discuss all the components in my 2019 Macbook purchase which are relevant to the same/similar components you'll want in an iMac. Also some thoughts on keeping the iMac running if you can run it as a monitor with a laptop which may not make it run as hot. 

I’m so ignorant I don’t even know what a SSD is, lol.

4 minutes ago, MDM said:

A lot of this info is no longer relevant to the new silicon Macs. They run very very cool apparently and use very little power, the RAM and  so are the graphics cards to date. Early indications are that these machines run incredibly fast for native graphics video apps (Apple's Final Cut Pro in particular). Photoshop has just gone native but Lightroom not yet. These are the low end consumer machines so one wonders what the pro machines will do. This is all very new and is not just hype. I was going to buy one but decided to wait until later in the year probably.

Ahh, come on. You’ll probably have one before I do! :D

BTW, I did have a top of the line Apple laptop around 2009-10. It was great for trips in our RV, but I way more prefer iMac. It sold immediately when I listed it, to the mom of a brand-new college student.

17 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I’ve been sussing out new machines so first I’ll need to sell a kidney. No, I won’t have a PC. Period.

will 2 TB hard drive be enough?

I'll go with 32 GB memory

i9 processor

graphic card, do I get Radeon Pro 5300 4GB or 5500 XT 8GB GDDR6?? I don’t understand much about graphic cards other than I know the best are good for gaming machines.

All the talk about adding memory...one machine comes with 16GB in 2x8s, so I don’t know whether to get that and have my son-in-law add two more 8s or just get 32GB outright. He has no experience with Macs but is very good with technology as a whole. He build and flies drones from tiny ones to bigger.

Whatever, to get a beefed-up one means ordering and waiting. I think if I can manage to work 30 minutes at a time getting everything copied to hard drives, I’ll take this one in for a cleaning.

Advice welcome.

Betty, as you know whilst we have an iMac, I'm not a fan but my other half's iMac was playing up, have you moved as many files as possible off the machine....especially from the desktop. That will slow the machine down as much as the updates. We cleared the desktop and got the rubbish moved to an external drive, ran some 'cleaners' and it's much better (obviously not as good as a new machine but not bad).

https://macpaw.com/how-to/reduce-memory-usage-on-mac

I would say you are OTT on the graphics card - you are looking at buying a very serious card (my CGI machine is 5 GB DDR5) which is more suited to gaming or CGI - you will be overpaying for a Mac so I would save some cash on the graphics card. That's like having a Nissan GT-R and drivng below the American speed limit.

My set up for general photography and web is 'only' an i5 but what makes the real difference is the SSD. Programs zoom along and because all old work is off the machine, on externals, there tons of space. It never slows down even when working on 2-3 GB files. It's a gaming machine (as all my desktops are) so the cooling is high spec which mens no loss in performance (more so for my CGI PC).

The problem with an iMac is that cooling will always be a problem, same for laptops so higher spec cards lose out compared to a water cooled tower.

Edited by GeoffK
  • Love 1

21 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Ahh, come on. You’ll probably have one before I do! :D

It depends on whether and when and where to travelling is allowed or not. 

22 minutes ago, GeoffK said:

Betty, as you know whilst we have an iMac, I'm not a fan but my other half's iMac was playing up, have you moved as many files as possible off the machine....especially from the desktop. That will slow the machine down as much as the updates. We cleared the desktop and got the rubbish moved to an external drive, ran some 'cleaners' and it's much better (obviously not as good as a new machine but not bad).

I would say you are OTT on the graphics card - you are looking at buying a very serious card (my CGI machine is 5 GB DDR5) which is more suited to gaming or CGI - you will be overpaying for a Mac so I would save some cash on the graphics card. That's like having a Nissan GT-R and drivng below the American speed limit.

My set up for general photography and web is 'only' an i5 but what makes the real difference is the SSD. Programs zoom along and because all old work is off the machine, on externals, there tons of space. It never slows down even when working on 2-3 GB files. It's a gaming machine (as all my desktops are) so the cooling is high spec which mens no loss in performance (more so for my CGI PC).

The problem with an iMac is that cooling will always be a problem, same for laptops so higher spec cards lose out compared to a water cooled tower.

I haven’t moved them off yet, but once this last bit is copied over to the externals, I will have them gone from the desktop. My problem is I do a shoot, cherry pick the best to upload. But I am not finished with the folder. Then I do another shoot, get excited over those and not get back to finish the previous folder. So I end up with 20-30 unfinished folders remaining on my desktop waiting for my attention. Periodically I go through and finish 2 or 3 and move them off. But I always seem to replace them with new folders and can’t gain ground.

It’s a bit like housework. I enjoy cleaning (dust-mopping) the hardwood floors but hate vacuuming the rugs.

46 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I’ve been learning about HDDs and SSDs. I only get into technical reading when I’m in the market for a new computer. Things change so fast.

SSDs are perfect as working drives - really fast. I keep the files I am currently working on on the internal SSD. A 1TB internal drive should be more than sufficient if you offload the files once you finish working on them (whatever your workflow). Even a 500GB drive might be enough.  Apple charge a lot more for a 2TB compared to a 1TB internal so it makes more sense to get the 1TB and use external drives for storage as they don't need to be so fast and they are much cheaper. This applies to the older Intel and new M1 Macs. Use the money you save for RAM which can't be upgraded in the new Macs. The internal drives can actually be upgraded in the laptops quite easily with the right screwdrivers.

Edited by MDM

1 hour ago, MDM said:

SSDs are perfect as working drives - really fast. I keep the files I am currently working on on the internal SSD. A 1TB internal drive should be more than sufficient if you offload the files once you finish working on them (whatever your workflow). Even a 500GB drive might be enough.  Apple charge a lot more for a 2TB compared to a 1TB internal so it makes more sense to get the 1TB and use external drives for storage as they don't need to be so fast and they are much cheaper. This applies to the older Intel and new M1 Macs. Use the money you save for RAM which can't be upgraded in the new Macs. The internal drives can actually be upgraded in the laptops quite easily with the right screwdrivers.

Thank you. All advice appreciated and taken in. I watched a couple of videos about the new Macs, although the specs aren’t completely known. Colors? Oh, yeah.

4 hours ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

I look forward to hearing what you get Betty, mine is fine at the moment thanks to all the useful advice on here😄

Carol

I’m second guessing the new iMac coming out. From what I’m reading, 16GB memory is the most it will have. I wanted to go for 32 to future-proof. Although the new 16GB Apple chip will be faster than the 16 Intel that I have. I’ll see.  Yes, these people give great advice, Carol. What would you and I do without them? 😊

I probably would be happy with the 2020 one, but not sure that I could get the specs I want. I hear they’re being phased out, and am not sure how long Apple will support the Intel chips.

On 05/04/2021 at 12:42, Marianne said:

EDIT: Didn't realize there was a way to open the MacBooks - though Apple and other approved vendors certainly can. SSDs make a huge difference - but again my husband has an SSD on his PC laptop and it is still very slow though it is also from 2019. 

I don't know enough about computers other than experience but SSDs are essential, I believe - and when I upgraded by getting 32GB RAM on this machine, the speed was amazing. Not sure if the graphics card also makes a difference but I've given my specs in the reply above. 

My 16GB memory is bogging down when I save a Tiff. Really, that’s all I’ve noticed so far on my old gal. I’ll bet yours is blazing.

It was my plan to wait for Apple's next update on the M1 (M2?). But my Adobe photo editing is in crisis. If—when—the Apple Store opens next week I will book to go in and buy the latest 16GB Mac mini and trade in my MacBook Air. I don't see myself producing stock regularly for more than a few years so the M1 should be enough. 

• Love 1

On 06/04/2021 at 00:40, Betty LaRue said:

Thank you. All advice appreciated and taken in. I watched a couple of videos about the new Macs, although the specs aren’t completely known. Colors? Oh, yeah.

When I bought my iMac 27' desktop back in 2013 I ordered it with a 500GB flash drive. (as they called it then) SSD today. Just checked and there is still 400GB vacant. Only 100GB taken up with OS and programs. All other files except very few small ones on desktop are on external hard drives.

Allan

On 05/04/2021 at 10:25, Ed Rooney said:

I plan on buying a 16GB Mac mini when they come out. I need to trade something in so I'll wait till the Apple store reopens. 

Liverpool will be where the government will be testing the passport licence idea. It seems to me that I had to get several jabs back in the '60s and '70s to visit certain countries. 

I had to have a vaccination certificate in 1962 to renew my passport. There was a Smallpox outbreak in the UK and certain countries required you to get a jab before visiting. It cost me 10/6 in real money. I still have it, you can see it here: https://www.instagram.com/petedavisphoto/

12 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

My 16GB memory is bogging down when I save a Tiff. Really, that’s all I’ve noticed so far on my old gal. I’ll bet yours is blazing.

It's great at the moment thanks Betty - hoping it stays that way😁  

Carol

8 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

When I bought my iMac 27' desktop back in 2013 I ordered it with a 500GB flash drive. (as they called it then) SSD today. Just checked and there is still 400GB vacant. Only 100GB taken up with OS and programs. All other files except very few small ones on desktop are on external hard drives.

Allan

Where did you go on your Mac to check to see what’s used, Allan?

12 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Where did you go on your Mac to check to see what’s used, Allan?

Apple Menu -About this Mac and then click on one of the tabs. Storage shows how much space is used and left on the drive. 

21 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

😘

As Mick says. There is a load of information there telling you everything about your mac.

Even let's you know what it thinks of you.🤪  (JOKING)

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

43 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

As Mick says. There is a load of information there telling you everything about your mac.

Even let's you know what it thinks of you.🤪  (JOKING)

Allan

Well...it insulted my intelligence and I knocked it off the desk with a roundhouse.

WARNING.... DON’T MESS WITH ME!

On 05/04/2021 at 13:51, GeoffK said:

I do like fast cars, Geoff, even if I don’t test the upper limits. Thanks for the link.